Do poems always have to rhyme?

• Please hold me tight so I know you will never leave
    16 years ago

My poems dont always rhyme so I was woundering if they always had to?

• Veamm
    16 years ago

It doesn't matter if its a rhyming poem, but sometimes rhyming makes the poem more good to read

• Jaymes Haze
    16 years ago

Nad there's always the concept of slant rhymes.

• Jaymes Haze
    16 years ago

For those who are wandering what a slant rhyme is, go here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slant_rhymes

• Lethmelodis
    16 years ago

A poem doesn't have to rhyme. I personally try to ensure mine rhyme though, as that's how I prefer to write, but you can convey just as much emotions without rhyming.

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

No they dont at all

16 years ago

Okay thanks so much!! <3

• Jenn
    16 years ago

Poems are neither better nor worse because they rhyme or don't rhyme. It depends on the individual poem and the poet. Some people cannot rhyme and probably shouldn't if they dont want the quality of their writing to suffer. Others have great ability with rhyming and rhyme schemes. It all depends.

Personally, I think most people do not know how to rhyme in a way that helps their poetry, instead of hurting it. Therefore I would encourage poets to not rhyme so much. I don't follow rhyme schemes at all anymore.

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

Nope dont mean a poem has to rhyme :)

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

No they dont have to rhyme

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

Some of my favorite poems actully dont rhyme at all

• Nicole the Fairy
    16 years ago

Wow.
    Alot of opinions ;]
    Here's mine;
    I really like rhyming, and like James said earlier, that it doesn't matter, as long as it's consistent.
    My poetry I try to keep the same, but I feel like a perfectionist (eventhough I'm not) when I write-- it has to be perfect - rhyme or not. <3

- Hope this helps.
    <3

• Jordan
    16 years ago

Lol.

I have to laugh. Most of the time my poems contain bits and pieces that rhyme, but actually have no rhyme scheme whatsoever.

I have no preference. Some of my poems have rhyme, some of them don't. And my taste really depends on whether the poem flows or not. Forced rhyming can sound cheesy...but good rhyming can make a poem amazing. The same goes for free verse - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

16 years ago

Thanks alot I really understand that poems dont always have to rhyme =)

Thank you!!!

• Jordan
    16 years ago

^^^
    ???

• Nicole the Fairy
    16 years ago

I was gonna suggest the same thing,,

except I had my money on the Hulk..

;]

Lol.

Jks. <3

• Jordan
    16 years ago

HAHA!

16 years ago

Lol ppl are so funny =)

• The Lonely Rose
    15 years ago

No they don't there are many types of poems that dont rhyme..

rarely i even rhyme...

• Lori
    15 years ago

Absolutely not...poems can be anything you want them to be...so they certainly DO NOT have to rhyme..lol

• khobo
    15 years ago

No, as long as they express what you wanted it to.

Most of mine do, but that is only 'cause I like the flow of it. Usually the ones that dont rhyme are more meaningful, for me.

• bekka dollface
    15 years ago

Poems that rhyme arent always the best at expressing feeling, although they do have an amazing flow most of the time.
    write what you feel & how you want because its your style, and youre your own person. people will just have to adapt to your writing style, and accept it. take care <333

• Michaela T
    15 years ago

In my own opinion... Poems with rhyming words are more enjoyable to read... It is more lovely and interesting. It makes the poem more beautiful and fantastic. I always prefer poems that are lovely to read, and I know readers would do the same.

• David
    15 years ago

Poems don't have to rhyme, so many commentors though burn you if something doesn't rhyme, which is disapointing.... but the flow and originality, the emotion and word use are more vital.

whatever you like is all that you should care about. :)

DJ

• smiley
    15 years ago

Nah it don't need rythem

• smiley
    15 years ago

Nah it don't need rythem

• smiley
    15 years ago

Nah it don't need rythem

• Invited
    15 years ago

Poems don't need to rhyme at all- if you are quite modern you would not always make it rhyme and if you are quite into old poetry you'd rhyme. It depends what you like and feel expresses your poetry best!

~Chinwe~

15 years ago

Thats good, ive been wanting to write one that rhymed but Ive never got the words to do so lol >.<

• just a little bit hurt
    15 years ago

No poems do not always have to rhyme its really about how it is expressed and the meaning

• James
    15 years ago

A poem doesnt need to rhyme. it just creates more flow in the poem. it is not necassary at all to have rhymes. some poems never have rhymes and some of the best poems never rhyme at all.

• James
    15 years ago

As long as you reckon your poems good, it doesnt matter what others say. a poem is written by a poet not because they want it to be perfect but because they feel it necassary to write whats going on in their mind. poems cannot be judged as good or bad, the true intent is the meaningful piece that makes the poem what it is.

• Tom
    15 years ago

No they don't always have to rhyme. Rhyming makes them flow a lot better and they sound better, but what you have to be concerned with is getting your point across. If you can express a thought better without rhyming than you've done the poem justice.
    Don't feel that you have to rhyme. I love to rhyme because I love the flow; I want to see how many words I can use that has the same vowel sound and still keep the lines relevant.
    It's whatever you feel comfortable with.
    My teacher told us: write to express, not impress.

• Lakota
    15 years ago

NEVER!! Poems were created to express our feelings, our emotions, thoughts and concerns with words that flow and have rhythm...rhyming optional....

• Baby Rainbow
    15 years ago

No, i think its the meaning in the poem and the language use. good flowing poems are really good when they dont rhyme xx

• Mr. Darcy
    15 years ago

I personally believe that it is good to explore different formats of poetry, so non-rhyming poetry represents a form that allows the writer to express themselves more freely.

I like rhyme, I like the way it sounds when spoken. I appreciate the challenge that it presents to the writer, but also the satisfaction when the rhyme suits the poem and its theme.

Another question..to use syllables or not?

• Daniel
    15 years ago

I think poetry is more than just rhymes. It all lies in the creativity and the meaning in the poem so it doesn't have to rhyme...

• xToBeWithYoux
    15 years ago

I rarely rhyme my poems. Sometimes, I will for the simple fact that the poem would work with a rhyme, or a rhyme would make it better if there isn't much emotion. If there is a lot of emotion then I will just let the words speak for themselves.

^^ Mr Darcy's post

Just to voice my opinion on the syllables thing, I think they do matter but the poem should not be based around them. Often a line will sound better if a word is changed in hindsight, but not every line should be structured accordingly.

Wow that's a bit long

• My Mistakes
    15 years ago

Nope

• Taylor
    15 years ago

It doesn't really matter that much if poems rhyme or not, as long as they have a meaning. That's what makes it worth reading.