5 Things Everyone Should Know About Ramadan! :)

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Nana started this very useful thread! Telling us wonderful facts about Ramadan, here what she wrote in the first thread:

I wish all the muslims a happy holly month and for those would like to know or be reminded about this special time of the year for the Muslim people, I got you this :

The holiest month in the Muslim faith began today. Here are the basic facts you should know about Ramadan.

Today marks the beginning of the holiest month in the Islamic faith. The month of Ramadan, which is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, is recognized and practiced all around the world for 28 to 30 days every year.

It is one of the five pillars of Islam and is known to be month of reflection and complete submission to Allah (God). Despite the number of historic events that took place in this holy month, here are five things everyone should know about Ramadan.

1. Ramadan is recognized to be the month in which the first verses of the holy Quran were revealed to the Islamic prophet, Muhammad. Layalat Al-Qadir is said to be the anniversary of the actual day when the Quran was presented to Muhammad and in English it is known as the night of power. Layalat al-Qadir usually falls within the last 10 days of Ramadan. On this night, thousands of Muslims gather together usually in a mosque to pray, recite Quran and worship until sunrise. Recitation of the entire Quran is also important to achieve throughout this month.

2. Throughout this month, Muslims do not eat or drink anything from sunrise to sunset. Fasting in Arabic is called sawm, and in English that means refrain. Fasting is supposed to teach self-descipline, patience and spirituality. However, participating in Ramadan is much more than not eating and drinking. People are encouraged to restrain themselves from any type of haram (sin). That includes backbiting, gossip, looking at unlawful things and using obscene words.

3. When Muslims break their fast it is called (iftar)." But Muslims don't break their fast on just any food. Most take their first bite of the day from a fresh or dry date. This is preferred because the prophet Muhammad used to break his fast on these middle-eastern fruits. If dates cannot be found, water is a good second choice.

4. Family bonding time is cherished and looked forward to in the month of Ramadan. Everyone's busy schedules are put on hold as they get together around the dinner table to share the first and most important meal of the day. Typically, large amounts of food are prepared for iftar that include soup, salad, appetizers, a main course and dessert.

5. Eid Al-Fatur is the day that follows the last day of Ramadan. It is the Muslim holiday that is celebrated after a new moon is sighted. People celebrate the Eid beginning with Salat al-Eid, a specific prayer for the day and visit family and close friends. Similar to Christmas or other religious holidays, Muslims tend to decorate their homes with lights and banners and exchange gifts that are usually clothes or money.

Ramadan Mubarak (Have a blessed Ramadan)!

(by Mariam Dahoui-Charara)

- - - -

P.S. if anyone has any question, please ask! :)

• Liquid Grace
    12 years ago

I'll add this as well from one of Ms Sunshine's posts.

"As the sun sets and the red line is no longer seen, Muslims are to break their fast until the very 1st period of time before sunrise...(fasting starts again at that time)
    However breaking our fasting on a date or some water is just "favorable" like not a strict rule, they can start by their chicken if they won't lol won't be a huge deal, but usually some or a huge number of Muslims would prefer to eat a date and drink water before they start eating their meals treading the habit of our prophet. And on a side note after the sun sets, Muslims can eat whatever they wish, as much as they wish! [let me know if this is clear, if not I will explain it in a different way :) "

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Thank you, Amanda! :)
    please if you have anything to add, feel free to do so.

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Except that it's no longer about Ramadan. lol.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Haha, no, this thread will be only about Ramadan! :) no religions talk, promise! :)

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Not that..just you know I came back and found lol a 100 post some that weren't really nice, but not that I am the type to get offended or anything, but if we are to argue every tradition we gonna find 1000 other ones in different religions, and I just wanted to give those who do not know, some ideas about Ramadan which we practice as Muslims. Not to be told if it's a huge deal or not. Anyway my mistake lol

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

We won't get outside the topic this time, at all, it wasn't your fault, nor mine, nor anybodys. :)

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

Oooh, I've missed a lot!

Glad this thread is being continued, but like Britt mentioned in the thread before, please - this goes for everyone - do not post anything in another language without a direct translation.
    This rule has been around for eons :)

Thank you!

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Yeah, sure, Jane, won't be repeated. ;)

• Nicko
    12 years ago

I've travelled in Jordan during Ramadan, outwardly things were not that different..

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Yeah, that's right, except that everyone goes back home at 6 pm for the Iftar with the family...;)

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

What do you want, Hellon? do you want us to argue about the origin of religions and have fights! this made such a mess that you can read in the previous thread, you can see what your question did, and Nana who made this thread doesn't want any arguement ever again! if you have a question about this holy month or so, then ask, if you don't, then don't come up with subjects that may cause troubles.

Thank you.

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

There is a way huge difference when we talk about a tradition an occasion or whatever you want to call it, and when we talk about the origin of Islam, or the origin of the Holly Quran, if you talk about the details of what's written in the Quran, or when we talk about the virtues of this month and its meaning for Muslims as humans in the 1st place. When we talk about God and if we believe or don't believe in Him..

A huge difference when I say I want to enlighten, or inform those who do not know about the meaning of this month, and when we are "debate" about it. And even when you debate, there is a difference when you debate about the source of religion or if its right or wrong, true or fake, orders you, condemns you, rewards you bla bla bla that is a whole different subject and in no way, a sane person can talk about them under one title of RAMADAN ? LOL.

And I was so enjoying replying the questions, but with all my respect for you Hellon, I did not make this thread either so you infrom me or us that whatever we do in this month is a big deal or not..

quoting this

"you didn't you just changed you eating habits for one month you still have food and water..just at different times for a month...big deal!"

So in short I would be very happy if not only you, but everyone else stayed away from this thread lol, cause yes i didn't make it to talk about religion, or faith or if god Exists or not, or if fasting has a use or is useless, ofcourse you have your own opinion but when only aiming to introduce it not argue about it in the original post it would be very respectful not to say it, at least not in that way.

I only made this to introduce for those who do not know, the general points of what these days/this month, meant for a huge number of people living around this world and known as Muslims, and expected the subject to be closed by the same day or the day after it after explaining a bit about the occasion, because I repeat the occasion itself was the only point I wanted to "explain" about, not argue, nor debate.

Ofcourse to happily answer what people have to ask, not to criticize and yes perhaps wasn't your intention, but that how it went. And I hope no body says now, language differences or internet, or culture differences which why I misunderstood. Cause I am not offended nor angry if I'm giving this impression :P I am just disappointed and that doesn't matter.

• Liquid Grace
    12 years ago

"So in short I would be very happy if not only you, but everyone else stayed away from this thread"

???

EDIT:
    Hellon, I think when they said 'religious' talk. They meant anything that discussed the faith themselves. Strictly talk about Ramadan and answer/ ask questions about the religious month. So essentially it's ok to talk about Ramadan but not the other stuff that transpired in the last thread where it branched out and other religions/ the Muslim religion was discussed.

The point isn't to debate the religion but to gain better insight into Ramadan itself.

However Nano and Nana telling people to not post on a topic is rather rude. You have to understand people will have questions and opinions about particularly ANY religious topic. Especially to many who the faith is foreign to. To tell someone they aren't welcome to give their opinion or ask questions isn't right either. Not only is that just creating another thread that goes off topic but it makes it a hostile topic overall.

To point out and say "look what your question did" was wrong. There are never any 'stupid' questions. She had a right to ask a question she was confused. I was going to ask that very SAME question. Try not to take it as an attack both of you. The internet can skew one's overall 'message'. Please keep this in mind when you post in the future. Now either you ladies will let go of the past thread and move on or this will most likely get heated.

Hopefully Hellon I was able to clear up what was meant by 'religious talk' it was vague but I took from it no irrelevant 'religious' talk.

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

That is only my wish, you can all ignore it lol! I do not mind, but I will not be there to reply questions especially those that are definitely out of topic, if you have read the replies I got and the posts that been made in the previous thread...you'd understand me!

if you read what I said well, you'd see that it was my pleasure to answer, still is, but only when the question is about Ramadan... that's was my 1st aim when I made the thread grace..

• Liquid Grace
    12 years ago

Hellon,

This isn't a debate thread, it's an information thread.. Far different from the other.

A debate thread starts out with a question seeking answers and opinions on the topic. This clearly wasn't one. This thread was to shed light and also send greetings to others of the same faith. I see it no different from saying "happy birthday" or "Merry Christmas" Some faiths don't celebrate Christmas or Birthdays, that doesn't mean someone posted Happy birthday to someone for a debate.

I think this topic has been really refreshing and full of information I personally didn't know before.

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

LOL helllon you know what is ironic? you just talked about Noras age? for her silly replies.. and said you are not surprised cause she is a teenager, but I am surprised after how you talked before because its not about "the heat" ! what I am saying in the place is, the thread I made is NOT a debate thread, read well :

I wish all the muslims a happy holly month and for those would like to know or be reminded about this special time of the year for the Muslim people, I got you this :

The holiest month in the Muslim faith began today. Here are the basic facts you should know about Ramadan.

---------------
    If you wish to argue about religion or faith, or traditions do all you like, but I asked you and everyone else in a VERY respectful way to not lose the main concept of this thread! But you call my reaction "can't stand the heat" when in fact it was the feeling of how the subject is not being respected by respectful people. Now feel free to snap around, make fun, laugh out loud or take the original post into a way different subject, cause I do not care anymore and I certainly wouldn't have done so in someone's thread. And I am not here to make an Islamic revolution, just wished to infrom---peaceful infrotmation! TADA!

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Amanda, I sent you a PM so you don't take me wrong, in No way I am asking people to stop posting here, I was replying to what Hellon said "by staying away". I am not a moderator over here and I know so!

I am trying 2 explain that yes, there is a difference between informing about this month, and between debating religion. If someone wants to talk about that, they can either feel free to make a new thread (which usually happens) but in my case I no longer mind, or specify that there is going to be a different topic now, but to count everything that has been said before under the title of Ramadan is a bit disrespectful and I do not know if that's how you guys would feel if you were Muslims or believers of whatever I have mentioned.

If my post was counted as rude, then I do apologize from the readers, but its also very important to respect what others have to say, even if we disagree with them, or think they are silly. And on a side note, in no way did I say Hellons questions or someone else questions were stupid, not at all, I said they were taking the main subject into another place, and some REPLIES were very rude. And that is not rude to point out.

I am not a troublemaker person over here, nor do I love to argue about things said...

• Ingrid
    12 years ago

I love how you try, Nana. You try so hard to make a positive contribution to this world:)

Keep going hun, don't let anything or anybody take your positive spirit away. We need people like you to make the change to a better world*hugs*

• Liquid Grace
    12 years ago

So here's a question. With the fast when the sunsets do you often have nice big dinners? Bigger then normal? By that I mean more food and more 'elaborate' foods. For example instead of pizza you're having escargot (this was to give an example of what I mean by 'elaborate'.)

What type of dishes do you like to make?

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Ingrid thank you :) !
    And I want to point out this

in no way I was attacking hellon, or nora, or anyone else..and all that I wrote was not out of anger, but rather disappointment. We say here, in arabic, that he who wants to fast from food and water, should 1st fast from anger and hurting others.

So I apologize if I was taken wrong, again, but I am not the one who did all this, that was only my impression about what happened to the 1st topic.

----
    Grace:

usually ? yes we make huger numbers of food lol yes big ones, and before its time to eat you think you gonna eat the whole table, except for the woods, but but but in my case I feel full after the 1st bites because I aim to start by my water and pepsi LOL which is very bad :P

But ya more "elaborate" foods ;)

and the most special ones to be honest are the sweets, cause the food usually is made commonly through the other months, just in bigger amounts in Ramadan in a bit more special ways :P as for the sweets, some are only made in this month!

My favorite dishes.. :( that's very hard, I can never talk about a favorite something lol...

lets say kabse :

http://www.google.com.lb/imgres?q=kabsa+rice]&um=1&hl=ar&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbnid=8GIeqGX_JKGulM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ihudaif.com/2009/12/24/a-billion-dollar-for-kabsa/&docid=Tfl3WR_dAyknVM&w=580&h=435&ei=9t07TuWJNcXIsgbz1okG&zoom=1&biw=1024&bih=594

^
    its rice, with peppers of its own, and chopped vegis, with chicken etc etc.. you can say TASTY :)

however I do not eat healthy food to be honest, I always go for fried stuff...

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

"However Nano and Nana telling people to not post on a topic is rather rude. You have to understand people will have questions and opinions about particularly ANY religious topic. Especially to many who the faith is foreign to. To tell someone they aren't welcome to give their opinion or ask questions isn't right either. Not only is that just creating another thread that goes off topic but it makes it a hostile topic overall."
    ^^^^
    no, Amanda, we weren't asking Hellon to never post in this thread, when Nana made this thread, she knew exactly what will happen, and she knows already that lots of people will be having their opinions and their questions and such :) and you can see, dear Amanda that Nana used to answer very happily and directly every question that has been asked by Hellon but when it turned to something like "disrespect" I have to say, she was disappointed, because Hellon started to mention about ANOTHER different religion that Ramadan doesn't exist in it, about those who have no God, I for my part, respect her and her religion and her traditions BUT she should make a new thread about it, not arguing with us about in the thread of "Ramadan" this was disrespectful, I should say. :)
    I hope you get me right now? :)

"To point out and say "look what your question did" was wrong. There are never any 'stupid' questions. She had a right to ask a question she was confused. I was going to ask that very SAME question. Try not to take it as an attack both of you. The internet can skew one's overall 'message'. Please keep this in mind when you post in the future. Now either you ladies will let go of the past thread and move on or this will most likely get heated."
    ^^^^
    and the very SAME sentence made me angry like Nana, when she said about our religion or month "big deal"...ok..in your opinion, Amanda, was it right or wrong? :)

see?
    we don't want fights, arguements nor in this thread nor in the whole forums....we just need EVERYone to be respectful.

"Hopefully Hellon I was able to clear up what was meant by 'religious talk' it was vague but I took from it no irrelevant 'religious' talk."
    ^^^^
    yes, you did, and I thank you for this. :)

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

LOL helllon you know what is ironic? you just talked about Noras age? for her silly replies.. and said you are not surprised cause she is a teenager
    ^^^^^^^^

OMG I'm silly???? :(
    thank you all, maybe Hellon I was silly because I answered your questions in the first place, I should have never nosed into some stuff that are only for adults LIKE YOU.

EDITED:

Ingrid, if there were few people like you in this site, penalties would disappear! :D
    Naqna was really positive, I can't imagine how awesome she is :P:PPPPPPPPPPPPP

• Britt
    12 years ago

For people who say they don't want the arguments and drama, they sure keep it going. I thought Nana wanted this about Ramadan?

What does Ramadan mean? Is it a name of a person, or a meaning that translates into something?

• Sherry Lynn
    12 years ago

This whole thread is on the verge of being locked.

I strongly suggest all the back biting and snapping at each other stop immediately.

Final warning.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

*** The earlier dispute is brought up. Edited out.***

Ramadan can be a name of a person, but I don't know if it means something else, we should wait Nana to sign in again! :)

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Yeah, Rabea, I think here is the issue ;)

and yup, can you answer to her question? actually she made me confused, lol, I don't know the origin of this name??

• RSJ
    12 years ago

Ramdan is the name of the month. The Islamic year consists of 354 days instead of 365. Just like September is the 9th month of the normal calander, ramadan is the name of the 9th month in an Islamic cal lander,

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Thank you, Rabea!

I know that Ramadan is the name of the month, but where did it come from originally?? do you know? why was it named like this and after who?

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

And already this thread took its right path back, when Amanda asked her questions so guys can we just leave things at that level and forget ?

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

andddd yeah answer us xD
    we don't know when the name Ramadan came from...:)

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

And lol okay, Ramadan is originally from an Arabic word guys that reflects the meaning of a very strong temperature because it occurred in a warm season..So they named it Ramadan to represent the original climate of the month initially XD

I can find you some links if you would want to know more.

-----
    EDIT: Got you this :

The word Ramadan is derived from an Arabic root as in words like "ramida" or "ar-ramad"
    denoting intense heat,scorched ground and shortness of rations. Ramadan, as a name for the month, is of Islamic origin. Prior to Islam and the exclusion of intercalary days from the Islamic calendar, the name of the month was Natiq and the month fell in the warm season.The word was thus chosen as it well represented the original climate of the month and the physiological conditions precipitated from fasting. In the Qur'an, God proclaims that "fasting has been written down (as obligatory) upon you, as it was upon those before you". According to a hadith, this might refer to the Jewish practice of fasting on Yom Kippur.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Omg thanks Nana for this! :)
    I haven't ever known these things, I even didn't know that "ramida" is a verb in Arabic, lol.

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Lol...

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

I see Sher logged and gave you guys a warning to keep this thread on topic, but still you're devolving back into talking about the earlier mix up. I'll be going through and editing/deleting your posts without penalty now. I understand many of you are only trying to "explain" yourselves, but understand that the more you try to explain yourself, the more other people want to explain themselves... and nobody wants to be the bad guy! So drop it. Let's get back to RAMADAN! Yeah!

Carry on :)

Nana, what's the last thing you've had to eat?

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Just 2 and half hours ago, and I ate something called fatayer

its a baked dough filled with either Spinach and looks like this :

http://www.google.com.lb/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hawahome.com/vb/nupload/34849_1218103179.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forum.hawahome.com/t159606-5.html&h=350&w=467&sz=42&tbnid=xe41u1rxztVlcM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=125&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25D9%2581%25D8%25B7%25D8%25A7%25D8%25A6%25D8%25B1%2B%25D8%25B3%25D8%25A8%25D8%25A7%25D9%2586%25D8%25AE%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=%D9%81%D8%B7%D8%A7%D8%A6%D8%B1+%D8%B3%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%86%D8%AE&docid=AiUjahjOhzC_sM&sa=X&ei=CkA8Tuz3KcaVswaKwJXwDw&ved=0CEQQ9QEwBQ&dur=322

AND meat with pepper and onion, also stuffed in a baked dough.. :

http://www.google.com.lb/imgres?q=%D9%81%D8%B7%D8%A7%D8%A6%D8%B1+%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%84%D8%AD%D9%85%D9%87&um=1&hl=ar&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbnid=uHQg4vBOgnfrrM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rgawi.com/vb/showthread.php%253Ft%253D4152&docid=HLi6fblTLJUyAM&w=639&h=478&ei=tUA8Trn1B4zxsga70824Cw&zoom=1&biw=1024&bih=594

LOL...Fries..Pepsi..Salad..ahem..

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Omg this is delicious Nana! I ate them yesterday, I especially love those hot ones, yummmmmyyyy :D

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

That sounds amazing! I'm starving :)

• Sunshine
    12 years ago

Hahaha Jane if we ever met somewhere, somehow I will make sure to bake you some :P XD

NAno me too!

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Wow, those look delicious! If I ever travel to your country in the future I'll be sure to request these! I won't stop till I find them, haha. I just love trying new things from different cultures and lifestyles than of mine.

Now I'm hungry, it's time to go make my lunch: Backed potato with sour cream, turkey bacon and green onions, and some cheese.