Somethings wrong here

• Angela
    20 years ago

alright my boyfriend chooses to hang out with other people instead of with me...I'm lucky to see him once a week but it's not like he's putting any effort into this. He'd rather hang out with my friend paige. and then get's mad at me for hanging out with my guy friend. He's constantly making me feel bad about things I say and how I act. It's like nothing I do is right. I have to call him, or he won't call me. and when we do talk on the phone it's like he doesn't care about anything I have to say...and then he says" I don't know what to talk about". This is not how it used to be with us...he used to want to see me everyday. but now it's like I'm #2 on his list of priorities, while he is still #1 on mine. I can't help but to feel like his feelings toward me have changed..but I don't dare ask him about all of this because I'm scared that i might be right, and I really do love him and I don't know what I would do without him in my life. So if you could please just tell me what you think all of this means, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

• JP
    20 years ago

::taps microphone and clears throat::

Yeah, I just wanted to say that communication is the lifeblood of a relationship. With it, it will not work. "Relat"ionships (notice the word Relate being the root of the word here) are just that... how you RELATE to another person. To me, your situation sounds like something that is not genuine from both sides. He should care about you and SHOW you he cares by wanting to be around you, wanting to talk with you, wanting to share life with you. This is not what's going on here.

Have that talk pronto, and feel him out. If he's not giving you the answers he is looking for, let him know that. Let him know what you need to see from him if the relationship is to continue. If his behavior changes and it appears genuine and not like a front of some kind, then you might be on a better path.

However, if things don't change, then you will have saved yourself a lot of time and heartache by taking charge and trying to fix the problem.

Don't forget that you have feelings, too, and that having the courage to communicate what you're feeling (whether it's happy or not so happy) can be quite a task at times.

I wish you the best in the future. Send us an update when you can.

-JP

• Angela
    20 years ago

Thanks everyone for you're help. I talked to him about the whole situation. He said that if it bothers me that much then he won't hang out with paige. And that he has NO feelings for paige in the romantic sort. We had a really nice evening and I feel a whole lot better. And for his recent grouchy behavior...it's because he's stressin' over his college exams. He's worried that he won't do well. So next week he hopefully will be back to his sweet little self. Thanks again for all of your help!