For any rhyme and reason

• Ray Lanthier
    15 years ago

I am reading a lot of rhymed verse on this site, especially by the younger poets. It is a brutal fact of literary life that you will not get published in any major literary mag or journal if you rhyme. I am not against formal verse. Centuries of poetry have been written that way. But formal versification is a specific technique that needs to be learned. I suggest to those that want to write formal verse to either search on line or in books for information on the topic.

For instance, the different 'feet'

US: Iamb (as in 'litchi', 'abduct')
    SU: Trochee ('engine', 'number')
    UUS: Anapaest ('oversexed', 'sixty-nine')
    SUU: Dactyl ('comforting', 'enema')
    USU: Amphibrach ('vibrator', 'enchantment')
    SS: Spondee ('halvah')

That is just one factor - there are many others.
    I would love to see formal verse come back into style but if it's not done right the chances are pretty slim.
    Comments?

• Ray Lanthier
    15 years ago

Where?

• H E Losey
    15 years ago

I also am published and have been known to rhyme. And most of the younger poets I read don't rhyne nor have they any metre.

• Ray Lanthier
    15 years ago

The UK is a different culture. I guess I meant the US.
    Actually from my perusal here and other sites I find the young poets are rhyming - but have no idea of what formal verse is, which was my point.

• Ray Lanthier
    15 years ago

Where have you been published? It's astonishing to hear. Pick up any of the main American poetry journals and you will be hard put to find a single rhyming poem. Exception that makes the rule.

• Ray Smallshaw
    15 years ago

Poetry forms are to numerous Ballad to Tanka etc.

Versifications:-
    As is Feet - Momnometer. Dimeter, trimeter etc.
    As is Meter - Lambic. Dactylic, Trochaic etc.

As is the Stanza - Couplet, Tercet, Cinquain, Burns, Chaucerian etc.

I don't want to have a doctorate in the English Language I love poetry, yes it is nice to know about these things but who gives a rats ar-----e as long as you enjoy reading and writing it. I leave that to the intellects and the poetry smart ar-es who look down their noses and criticize but not constructively. Its the words that count and their effect on you, who likes what is down to the individual I personally can enjoy all forms of poetry although I do have trouble with some of the more modern forms ie rap. I am 60. I have been in love with poetry since my first Rupert Album and my teacher at primary school read us Longfellows Hiawatha. I have also come to terms with my shortcomings when it comes to writing poetry I am never happy with the outcome of any poem I write I settle for what is written continously editing until I think it is right. That is what gives me so much pleasure and the feeling that I have achieve something.

So read as much poetry as you can from anywhere here but now and then chose a known poet and look at his form and then you may uinderstand what makes him known. If you want to get technical or go deeper do that Doctorate. I know one thing for certain poetry knows no bounds.

• Wolf Haines
    15 years ago

I do believe sometimes we can disect some poetry too much. There are many young writers here, myself being one of them (20) who are simply too young to know everything about poetry yet, but given time we can develop. As long as we are willing to learn then we can develop.
    If we all achieved poetry greatness at a young age then our writing lives will be very boring.

• shenoa
    15 years ago

I agree but I'm one of these "rhymers" my style of writting may not interest these professional poets or anyone who enjoys reading published poetry, but I write for myself, and a lot of my poems are for other people who can relate, not so much for publishers. I like my style, so I hope none of the other "rhymers" get disenceraged.

• Carrotgirl
    15 years ago

Sometimes arrogance or elitism taints what is basically an amateur hobby site. Neither rhyme nor age should be judged. Foresight and adventure should not be discouraged. I have marveled at Poe as I have the works of the youngest teen. People write, read and are enthused in so many ways. So Ill be the judge of what I like if you dont mind.

• kevin Boundy AKA the ghost
    15 years ago

I write mostly in rhyme but i can also write without its just diferent people have different styles and i dont think it makes much difference

• Carrotgirl
    15 years ago

Cyrano my comments were not directed specifically at this thread but at the site as a whole. I apologize if you thought I was getting at you. I have read some of your poems and would agree your skill level and style is aimed at a different audience than the vast majority on here. Take Angelina as an example, she loves classical music. Her knowledge and skill I would guess would be at a very high level. Yet it could be specific to that form of music. I would not presume such but we cant all be experts at everything.

In the same way people have different tastes for music. For instance I find rap music annoying on the whole, but I would confess certain songs and certain lyrics deserve praise. Most music forms have their own merits and should not be dismissed just because someone favours another genre. The same general ideas apply to poetry.

My main complaint would be that with any interest humans take egos get in the way. When I started writing my target audience was one special person. I wasnt coping with life and it was my way of getting to know myself. So Im not aiming at becoming recognised. Poets can be very passionate about their work and sometimes modesty gets in the way.

Sorry its a pet peeve of mine, Im happy being a peasant in the poetry world just learning as I go.

• Nee
    15 years ago

All I can say here is that people post their poems so they can learn & improve their writings..So don't expect perfection, even in your own personal poems !