Why write poetry?

• Kellie
    15 years ago

I'm curious as to why you think people write poetry.
    Today at school one of my friends said that he saw no point in writing poetry at all and that it is a waste of time. I don't mind him saying this as it is how he feels about it but this got me thinking as to why I actually like to write poetry myself. I'd say it is because it is a great way to express feelings and I love how some words can flow together to create a powerful meaning.
    What do you think?

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    15 years ago

There's nothing wrong with wasting your time. What does your friend do to fill his? Does he search for cures for cancer? Does he broker peace deals between warring nations? Perhaps he feeds the poor and clothes the needy? And very noble is he, but I suspect they just watch TV and play on their computer/game console. And are therefore no judge at all.

I write poetry when I could be washing dishes or mowing the lawn. Poetry is an awesome waste of time.

• Fan Angeleo
    15 years ago

Why is always a reason to give an account of your feelings. It's the reason we live the reason we seek knowledge to survive. A poem can be very enlightening or can be offensive but you are given the choice and are always in control of what material you choose. Words are powerful when arranged or transformed into speeches, some of us have that power to deliver and in so many ways.

• AOD13
    15 years ago

It helps me show others how I feel at times.