How to get your works published....

• Sierra Rae
    19 years ago

Hey guys me and my friend Lizzie were just talking today about maybe getting some of our poems published somehow and discovered we had no clue how to do that!!!! lol. Well just wondering if anyone had any useful information, trusted websites, etc. for me!!

Thnx u all!!!

(and p.s.-Lizzie is new to the site but has a bunch of great poems...the only one she has on so far is Tears for You so read it...it's great!! She might be changing her name when she gets on here tonight....but it's the only "Tears for You" on the site besides one by Ronni...so check it out!! I could give ya the link but that would be too easy!!! Lol)

Well thnx again guys!!
    --Sierra Rae

• Michael D Nalley
    19 years ago

Visit my site at www.poetrymd.com I had my book edited by Dorothy Womack who is about to release her tenth book

• Sierra Rae
    19 years ago

well thank you for the info!!! and bob, you said about 25 poems...why that number-i have 56 poems on the site-i wouldn't want to publish near even half of them but what if I wanted to wait a while longer until I had some more good stuff and then publish say 50 poems?? is there a reason I shouldn't do that???

• Sierra Rae
    19 years ago

oh and bob u said you have worked with authorhouse before or soemthing like that...how much is the average investment price?? If i wanted just a softcover 125 page color poetry book...do you know how much i would pay into that??

• Sierra Rae
    19 years ago

ooh-and i just went through and looked at all my poems and decided that there were 26 i would consider publishing. so if i wait another year or 6 months or something i should have a few more. yay!!

• Sierra Rae
    19 years ago

wow 400...lol...well im thinking of teaming with a few of my friends and us getting a big book so split between like 4 ppl...and then its 100...about the price i was wishing for!!! lol

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I've got a book coming out that i'm doing myself...i mean, all you need is a basic knowledge of miscrosoft word and you can create the most pleasant looking amalagmations of word and image.

Bobs friendly company sound nice though....in Edinburgh where i live, you really have to be pretty well known in the vibrant "poetry slam" circuit, which is basically compititons of performance poetry..which i don't morally agree with.....but so yeah, i've got to do my own work..which is a labour of love.

I'd say make it yourself if you can, like make a prototype, and then find some recyled paper and pay a cheap printing company to churn out a few copies for family and friends....keep about 20-30 to send out to reputable publishing houses.

If you do it all yourself, they'll respect you more i think.

I could give you the basic's of how to easily arrange your work in a very cool way on your own. Just let me know.

• Sierra Rae
    19 years ago

Hmm-that sounds interesting Kevin...but like how do you bind it and create the cover and stuff...plus then you gota get it copyrighted and stuff too. Im good at stuff on the computer and I'm sure I could make a kick-butt book...hehe...but I just dont know how much time that would take or how to do most of it...advice much appreciated!!!

Thnx!
    --Sierra Rae

• Kevin
    19 years ago

Yeah i have bob, and whilst i did see some amazing characters...and quality wordsmiths...the quiet introspective nature of poetry reading is what i really like....so i don't go to many.

You know whats really strange, your closing comment about blood sweat and tears was the closing line in one of the first poems i ever wrote, in fact the first one to get published...weird.