"filler" words.

• Please hold me tight so I know you will never leave
    15 years ago

If I put alot of "I" "me" and the other filler words dose that make it a bad poem? Or what if the person who wrote the poem was trying to fit the poem in there eyes and how they see it or feel it? Dose too much use of the filler words make the poem or break it?

• Krathia
    15 years ago

I think it really depends on your style. When I "narrate" a poem, I use way too many filler words, because I mostly describe the character's emotions as he or she would feel them. We don't actually think poetically the same way most of us write.

Of course, it's different for every type. If you're trying to do something really descriptive, you're bound to use more adjectives and home-hitting verbs and the such. If you're trying to prove a point, like they do in philosophy, you might use much more metaphors to get the point across and also in order to keep the reader's mind clean of confusion.

Personally, I think it doesn't really matter. Sure, trying to reduce your number of fillers will be good progress for you as a "true poet", as some might say, but you're the poet. Do what seems right.

• Please hold me tight so I know you will never leave
    15 years ago

Thank you. Its just that on some of my poems that i wanted the Reader to know what is going on in the mind of that one person. And some people have commented on the poems saying that i need to not use alot of filler words. But yet i just thought the poem had a story behind it and most of my poems are form the view of the charater that is going though it.

• Baby Rainbow
    14 years ago

Think it depends on the poem, but i think with poems you should just let the pen flow with the thoughts that come out of you. if that is lots of "I" then that will probably have a lot of meaning to do with the poem. xx

• Deana
    14 years ago

I think I have seen both...too many and too few, like Bob said too many can sound juvenile but too few sounds choppy and takes out the emotion...my opinion anyway.

• Rocky
    14 years ago

What poem is it where they said you had to many. i might be able to give some advice if i can read the poem

• Rocky
    14 years ago

Nevermind i found the poem and i dont feel you have to many filler words. it would be impossibe to write what you did without the words i and me

• sibyllene
    14 years ago

I use sooooo many "filler words." But I try to use them to keep a rhythm and flow. In a poem, I think every word should be very specific - essential to the poem as a whole.

• Baby Rainbow
    14 years ago

I agree, the poem is about the flow and often filler words make the flow perfect xxx

• Vix
    14 years ago

If (personal) pronouns are something you use a lot, e.g. 'I', 'me', why not try to write an entire poem without any pronouns what-so-ever?

It is healthy for poets and poem writers to experiement.

Also, to quote something a professional poet once said to me, which I have found very useful: 'Every line should read like a poem in itself'.

-Read every line and ask what purpose it serves, what purpose every word serves, every piece of punctuation, every rhyme, even the form....and most importantly...keep writing!