Flow of a poem.

• Jad
    14 years ago

I was wondering if the flow of the poem would be better if you had the right amount of syllables in each line.
    Also if there are other ways to make the flow work I would like to know. Trying to improve my poetry. Thanks

• Jad
    14 years ago

Thanks that was a helpful paragraph and I deeply thank you for it. And if anyone else has something that they would like to do.

• Beautiful Chaos
    14 years ago

"I was wondering if the flow of the poem would be better if you had the right amount of syllables in each line."

This is helpful in rhyming poetry, of course even then it dpeends if you are following a set form or your own.

• Jad
    14 years ago

I try to do set form but alot of the time I do my own.

• Beautiful Chaos
    14 years ago

I generally just follow my own form as well, though I like trying out new formats and experimenting, keeping your syllable count close generally helps keep the flow tight.

• Jad
    14 years ago

I'm with you totally I like my own style but I will try new things. and yes if a poem is written with to many syllables in one line and not hardly any in the next it is hard to read

• Jad
    14 years ago

Thats true to that you don't stop reading until punctuation marks are put in place.

• Jad
    14 years ago

Is there any one else who has any ideas.

• Jad
    14 years ago

Thanks thats helpful in many ways:)

• Lori
    14 years ago

^Like he said, it's not the syllables. Read your poem outloud and if theres just something that doesnt sound right. Change it until it does.

• Ray Smallshaw
    14 years ago

A poem is a personal expression of feeling, a life experience or from you mind. Learn the basics and then forget them as they will become a part of your poem. The best way to learn is to read loads of poetry by all and look into each poem and see how they are constructed and you will find with time it will become a part of your writing. There are many sites that you can learn the basics from but don't go to deep unless you want to be an English major just enjoy writing your poetry. Tasteless as usual came up with a master of his trade Billy Collins twice Americas poet laureate I recently downloaded 40 odd of his poems from a site called Poem hunters, Google will find it if you are interested and it would not do you any harm reading Tasteless's poetry collection as he is my favourite site poet, his poetry is fantastic.

• Invited
    14 years ago

Think of the iambic pentameter or just go with the flow and let words come to mind!
    Chins
    ~

• She Loves Me She Loves Me Not
    14 years ago

Look at other peoples poetry to find ways of flowing, some people on this site, have some amazing flowing poetry =]

• Baby Rainbow
    14 years ago

I re read all my poems to try and find faults in the flow and re arrange words or change them to make the flow better, I think you can tell when you read it aloud and know the rythm of your poem. xxx

• Mello193
    14 years ago

Diddo

• Vix
    14 years ago

Read up on meter.

Meter is central (even if so in a poem's lack of strict meter) in every succesful and well known poem.