Is poetry dead?

• Andrew
    14 years ago

Theres a few good poetry sites out there,
    (JUST A FEW!) and many people are to busy with other stuff, to take time out of their schudule and read a few poems. With the lastest video games, and other things comming out, do you think its affecting the way poetry is being view today in this society?

• Indian Comma Bean
    14 years ago

As a older man told me, poetry these days is only read by other poets, and to an extent I do believe this is sadly becoming more and more true. So it's up to us to keep it alive within ourselves, not so much for the world, but to keep poetry's true value instilled within our mind. It's not just something to do to pass the time (atleast not for me) it's a way to express what we feel we cannot express any other way.

• SolemnWish
    14 years ago

Its true. This site is a perfect example (maybe not perfect)
    Mostly only people that have an account on this site bother to check out poems on here.
    Even more saddening is the fact that i see people in my classes that actually plagerize BIG TIME!!!
    Someone actually took one of MY poems from here and i took the teacher to the side that day and explained and He got so mad he threw his laptop

• SolemnWish
    14 years ago

Neither did I.
    First of all it scared me half to death.
    2nd of all I was laughing so hard i almosted pissed myself

• Vix
    14 years ago

I think with new media etc, rather than poetry being dead, it is rather being seen more and more as an elitist art form.

We live in a society (Western society at least) which wants everything the easy way and we want everything *now*.

...Poetry doesn't work that way.

We still have amazing poets living, but fewer people are going to readings, attending festivals, buying traditional poetry and actors, realty TV stars etc have taken the pedestal that poets and writers used to occupy.

As well, over the last hundred years the general western population has become increasingly suspicious of poetry, the way people view it has changed. A lot of people feel tricked by poetry or that it is all riddles created to confuse or be difficult and snobby.

I guess the world changes -shrugs-.

• Baby Rainbow
    14 years ago

This is actually quite funny as I stopped writig poetry as I never had time, I abandoned it for other things. and I came on here and read just one poem to pass time and I stayed on all night Reading through peoples stuff, I forgot how great it was to read them, and I also started writing again.

I have made my new years resolutions and one of them is to actually take time out to write more poems, and so far have wrote a few eery night this year .

I wish we could help others see and experience what poetry is about xxx

• Malboros pipe
    14 years ago

Poetry will never die in the eyes of us the writers

• Pink Butterfly
    14 years ago

Poetry is a necessity to those who loves it. It is not just a composition, it is a way of expression. It serves not just to entertain but also to inspire and to understand. We might forget it once in a while, but it will never ever die!!!

• CEE CEE
    14 years ago

I agree with "Poetry is a necessity to those who loves it. It is not just a composition, it is a way of expression. It serves not just to entertain but also to inspire and to understand. We might forget it once in a while, but it will never ever die!!!"

but i just started my own website its still undercontruction but feel free to check it out and add yourself as a member!!

www.poeticallyblessed.webs.com

• Mello193
    14 years ago

No it wont die if people keep it alive!!