Capitalization

• Jad
    13 years ago

This is such a controversy subject I couldn't resist. How do must of you feel about the capitalization of every line in a poem weather or not if the word begins a sentence. That is one of the six English capitalization rules and I was wondering what ya'lls opinion on it was. I know must don't like it since it seems distracting.

I'll go ahead and give my opinion. I believe that we should not use capitalization in every line because I see it as unecassary and like some people I find it distracting.

• Jad
    13 years ago

That's what I thought. It messes up the flow because most people see a capital letter and try to find out where that last period was at or something like that.

• Nicko
    13 years ago

I use capitalization often as it designates the beginning of a new line.
    Some poets do flow there lines over ie

The very hungry dog
    slipped over
    To him it was all the same

To me that should be one line

The very hungry dog slipped over
    To him it was all the same"

I know it's a pet peeve of yours Britt as you made comment on one of my poems, its a bit like Bobs dislike of "I" at the beginning of a line. And I don't agree with that either. Though I'd like to think Im not that new to poetry i hope i know a little about it, then again maybe I don't...

• Beautiful Chaos
    13 years ago

I capitalize and I rarely use punctuation, aside from commas for pause, unless I am doing form or something which calls for otherwise. I think every poet or artist for that matter, does what calls to them and don't always look to being perfect in the readers eyes. Most times for me it is about personal understanding and what I get from my writes, not anyone else.

• Jad
    13 years ago

Thank you all for giving me your opinions on this topic. I was just wondering whT you all thought and for those who answered I thank you.