A Poet-in-Motion

• Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Hi there, I hope some of you can help me. I'm at a loss. Over four years ago I had a nightmare that had stirred me more deeply than any other, I can still remember it vividly to this day. I've written it down, in short story form, but would love to write it poetry form as well. I've started already, it's nothing fancy (simple four line stanzas, rhyming every second stanza, etc.), but it is not quite as "stirring" as I'd like it to be. If that makes sense. I think it could be better.

So my question is, is there a specific form of poetry that perhaps that would be best suited for a macabre type theme. Or, is there a form of poetry that doesn't rhyme, or that requires very little rhyme (that way I can keep it almost like a short-story)?

If anyone can give me any advise or tips that would be greatly appreciated. I would really love to make this happen. It's been so many years since I've written anything, poetry or not (except assignments while I was in school and university), and I've never been more inspired. Weird, that something like that could inspire me so and kick-start my passion of writing (poetry) again.

• Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thank you Britt for the tips!

You've mentioned how good the Shadow Poetry site is a couple times to me and I have looked into briefly, but I'll have to check it out more in-depth and set a side the time to browse.

Free verse you would think would be easier, but I've been having trouble trying to piece it all together, haha. It's still a work in-progress and I'd still like to try to pull it together, but I think I'd like to also try writing it as a Triquantrain as you mentioned. I love writing different forms of poetry and I like this form a lot. It'll make for a interesting challenge.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out, or when I should say, haha.

• Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Quick question about the Triquatrain. Does my internal rhyme have to follow that pattern or can I follow a pattern such as this:

a
    (b, b)
    a
    (c, c)

d
    (e, e)
    d
    (f, f)

g
    (h, h)
    g
    (i, i)

or can I interchange my internal rhymes like this:

(a, a)
    b
    (c, c)
    b

d
    (e, e)
    d
    (f, f)

(g, g)
    h
    (i, i)
    h

• Elizabeth
    13 years ago

"Or I say form inspired by the ----."

^ I think I read that a few times reading some of your poetry. Now I know what you mean. I like that a lot. I like your style, haha. Thanks for the help.