Prayers

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Hi there. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Hannah.

Even though you do not know my family, I'd like to ask you to pray for my 81 year old Grandfather who I call "Pepaw" .

Friday afternoon he was in a really, really, really, terrible car crash.

We are not sure if he will make it.
    He has tons of lacerations and broken bones.
    Broken femur, pelvis, ribs, vertabrae, back bones, and scabula.
    Thank God he has no brain damage and the back bones that are broken don't relate to the spinal cord. His heart is strong, too.
    Lacerations terribly on one arm and on the spleen and lung. His lung is also punctured.
    Tons of scrapes and bruises.
    He's in ICU and will be in ICU for a while. Heck, he's gonna be in the hospital for a longer while.

My grandpa, Pepaw, was pulling out of his truck and another vehicle came way too fast. The vehicles collided. The oncoming truck hit the front end of my grandpa's pickup. We assume my grandfather was not wearing his seatbelt because after his door flew open, he was ejected from his truck and his left side was slammed into the other vehicle. Then he was knocked across the road.

The doctors have stopped internal bleeding and have performed a successful surgery on his leg -- the put a rod into his leg to set his femur.
    Of course, he lost a ton of blood in the process, but the doctors are taking care of that.

What really upsets my family is how this whole thing was taken care of.
    The wreck happened around 2:45 or 3:00 in the afternoon on Friday. My parents, grandmother, aunt and uncle did not know where my grandfather was because he didn't come back home at 4:30 or 5:00 like he usually does. I had left at 4:30 to go on a campout so i did not know of this.
    My family started searching for him and by 7 something Friday night my family called the police. At 8:00 the police showed up at my grandparents house and said "Morris has been in an accident" (Morris is my grandfather's first name).
    We are still unsure of what happened, but here's what we think: After the crash the police showed up and EMS took my grandfather to the ER. Well, NOBODY called. Not the police, DPS, Sherriff, or EMS. Nobody called even when my grandfather was airlifted to another town with a bigger hospital. Nobody even tried to track the house down to inform my family.
    This upsest us very, very much.
    My Uncle went to the police station on Saturday (The day after the wreck) and he started talking to the police. He talked to the man in charge of this wreck and the man in charge told me uncle "Oh we called but nobody picked up the phone."
    My uncle's response: "You are LYING! While I was out with the rest of the family searching for Morris, Ann sat by the phone the whole afternoon and NOBODY called!!" (Ann is my grandmother).
    The man in charge of the wreck also told us my grandfather went to our hospital before being airlifted, when in fact, he did NOT go to our hospital. EMS took him to the airport and called a helicopter to have him airlifted. But, we wanted him to go to our hospital first so he could be stabilized. The doctors at our hospital could have at least stopped the internal bleeding sooner.

Any questions? Private message me and I'll try to keep you updated.

Again, please, keep us in your prayers even though you do not know me.

Thank You.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thank you so very much..

Hmmp....the incident with the police/EMTs/hospital sure isn't unusual in my hick town...it has happened before.

He has opened his eyes some, and he has nodded his head, but cannot talk because of tubes down his throat.
    Yes, we are all praying.

My Grandpa works on rent houses and walks his dog -- so basically, he was very strong and healthy before the wreck.
    You see, the doctors told us that any other person, no matter the age, would not have survived the wreck, but the reason my Grandfather survived is because he's so strong and determined.

• Hallucinostic
    13 years ago

With family members like you on his side, indubitably, he will recover. Stay strong Hannah, your strenght, its "contagious". I know you know what I mean. :)

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thanks so much.
    All my friends are comforting me, and they're all being very supportive.
    It makes me feel loved, haha.

Dib, I do know what you mean (-;

• Michael D Nalley
    13 years ago

It does seem contacting a family member should have been high on the priority list Your granfather is high on my prayer list

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thank you very much Mike.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE:
    My grandfather had a good night last night after the surgery. They wanted to put the rod in ASAP so he wouldn't be as confined in his hospital bed. Doctors took him off pain meds for about 2 hours this morning so that made him more alert. It's amazing they took him off the pain meds, too, because of all the broken bones.

UPDATE: Doctors are now fitting him for a back brace -- which is good, because that means they think he's strong enough for them to move him around a little. Still in ICU.

• Solus
    13 years ago

That is good and thanks for the update. Keep the good news coming.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE: They took him off the venilator for an hour and he breathed on his own. They have put him back on the venilator.

• Solus
    13 years ago

Ok....I said good news...not mixed news....

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Uhh..... What?
    Taking him off the venilator IS good news. It's very good news.
    They just can't take him off for too long.

• Solus
    13 years ago

So...its kinda mixed then....but hes going to make it, and you caring is going to help that.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Oh, yes. We are just so happy the doctors are just moving him right along.

• Dark Secrets
    13 years ago

He'll be in our prayers... I hope he'll be ok.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thank you.

UPDATE:
    Doctors took him off the venilator again and he breathed very well on his own. Doctors also put him in a back brace a little today.

• Captain HC
    13 years ago

I hope everything goes well. my grandpa hurt his back one day last year and it stil hurts to lift thing bigger than a baby

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE:
    My grandfather is running a fever and has pneumonia .... still stable, but he has a lung infection.
    The doctors had to moniter his blood pressure again, because it shot up.
    He had pneumonia a few years back, and the doctors had already predicted that he may get it from being in the wreck. But, I think he got it from having it a few years ago and the wreck.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE:
    I was out of town at the hospital visiting my grandpa all weekend. His blood pressure was...awful. But it got better. THANK GOSH. But he was real alert this morning. He kept opening his eyes and moving his arms a little.
    Doctors took him off the venilator for and his oxygen level went down to 95,94, but that's still good. We just kept reminding him to take deep breaths and try to cough (since he has pneumonia) even though it hurt because of his broken ribs.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thanks Britt (:

UPDATE:
    Doctors and my Grandmother say he is sorta talking, but everything he says makes no sense. We are pretty sure he knows where and who he is though. He responds when they say his name.
    Doctors are getting infections under control and might move him to a regular room if he keeps up the progress.
    So Happy!
    Thank you for all the prayers everyone (:

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE:
    He is talking and making sense now, lol.
    He can sorta swallow.
    YAY(:

• Dark Secrets
    13 years ago

That's good to hear... I hope he'll be able to live his ordinary life soon. ^_^

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

^^ Lol, we all want that, but it's not gonna happen. It's gonna be a really long time because he would always work on rent houses, and that's gonna be hard for him to pick back up.
    But he IS doing really amazing for a 81 year old man, lol. (:

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE:
    Doctors have put a tube in his chest because his lungs are ... well, I'm not very sure. It just has something to do with his lungs and his lung puncture.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE:
    My grandfather has been moved to a semi ICU room. He is talking, but since he has a neck brace on and so congested, it is hard to understand. But he is at least making sense now. Doctors are thinking of moving him to a long term injury hospital.

• Bailey
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, and I'm glad to hear he's making some improvement.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thank you^^ (:

UPDATE:
    He has been moved to an ICU room in a long term injury hospital. He's about the same.

• AngelDust
    13 years ago

I will pray for your grandfather and your family. I know how important grandparents are.. I'm glad to hear of the progress he's making and I hope he continues.

• Mello193
    13 years ago

I hope hes better

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thanks, but he's had a setback.

UPDATE:
    He is back on the ventilator with pneumonia. He had a fever, but from what I've heard last it's dropped back down. His blood pressure is everywhere right now.

• AngelDust
    13 years ago

I really hope he pulls through it x

• Lost Innocence
    13 years ago

Im prayin Hannah.....i hope he's ok:D

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Thank y'all!!

UPDATE:
    He sat in a chair for a HOUR yesterday..... :D
    He is still in ICU, but he should be out of ICU very soon.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

UPDATE:
    Had ANOTHER setback. Doctors put him back on the ventilator, but have been trying to take him off again.

• H. Elizabeth
    12 years ago

UPDATE:
    Been moved to a REGULAR ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!
    But he's still having setbacks...
    The only reason he got moved is because there was a really sick person who needed his room...my question is, What happens when he has another setback and needs to go back to ICU?

Still....we're grateful he's in a regular room. (:

• H. Elizabeth
    12 years ago

^^ Thank you so much. I appreciate your concern.

UPDATE:
    He was put back on the ventilator. Doctors were gonna take X-rays to check on the bones but decided not to because he was on the ventilator and he just isn't stable enough.

• H. Elizabeth
    12 years ago

UPDATE:
    He seems...well, depressed. We pray that he will continue to fight. My family is going to take pictures of my brothers and I up to the hospital so he sees reasons to live.

• H. Elizabeth
    12 years ago

UPDATE:
    Going to do plastic surgery on his back because of an injury...not really sure.

• H. Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Hi....haven't really posted on this for a while but ... yknow how you're only supposed to have one family member in the hospital at once? Well not for my family...

My dad...was in an accident.

My mom is the children's minister at my church so she went to Chicago, Illinois for children's ministry meetings. My dad went with her. Saturday morning, October 8, my mom was already at a meeting while my dad had gone down to the hotel gym to run on the treadmill. You gotta understand, my dad is the guy who runs at like 5 o'clock every morning and he runs several miles. He's the healthy guy. The guy who always bragged about his cholesterol. The guy who was never in the hospital. Well, while he was on the treadmill he got dizzy. He slowed it down to a walk and felt better...but then felt bad again. He blacked out. His heart had stopped. Thank God there was trained people in the gym. They called for security and got a defibulator right away... They had to revive him. He was rushed to the hospital and somebody from the hotel contacted my mom at her meeting. One of my dad's heart valves was calciefied...Calcium had built up in in. Apparently he had a heart murmur. He was diagnosed with in when he was in Junior High, but he had a defective heart valve. Something about there was supposed to be three flaps around in but there were only two and they formed together with calcium and clogged it. Still up in Chicago they did open heart surgery. They replaced the valve. My parents left Thursday October 6 and were sposed to get back the 11 but just got back yesterday, the 18. My dad is really ... weak. It's odd to see him like that. He's tired. We are just greatful that it happened where people were around. If he'd been running in the morning when it's dark (I live in a small country town, we have no lights) that would have been it. Nobody could have revived him. He would have died.
    It's God's work that it happened when and where it happened.

While they were gone I stayed with my Grandma and Aunt.
    He will get better... in time.
    Just wanted to ask for all of y'alls prayers...again.

Peace&Love&Thanks,
    -Hannah

• Girl of Conviction
    12 years ago

Prayer really does work and God is with u and your family during the hardest times of life.
    Ill be keeping you in my prayers girly<3
    take care
    :]

• Girl of Conviction
    12 years ago

Prayer really does work and God is with u and your family during the hardest times of life.
    Ill be keeping you in my prayers girly<3
    take care
    :]