Life of a PnQ Poet - Elizabeth

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

Britt was in charge of these and I forget what she had up at the top, but here goes...

Life of a PnQ Poet allows members of PnQ to interview the poet of the week. Please keep your questions respectful and if the PnQ poet wishes to abstain from any questions, remember they may do so without explanation. Have fun and ask away!

Here is Elizabeth's latest poem:

Land of Living Skies [Haiku]

When day turns to night
    the northern lights dance, flowing
    river in the sky

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

What is your favorite forum to visit on PnQ?
    Why did you decide to sign up for Life of a PnQ poet?
    What do you think you have to offer the site?

What's your favorite color? :)

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Could you describe yourself in 5 words? Which of these 5 descriptive words shines through most in your poetry?

• Sylvia
    12 years ago

Looking at your account, I see you use some forms in your work.

Which do you prefer, forms or what I will call free form, or just verses? Do you like rhyming more than non-rhyming verse?

What inspires you to write?

Do you have a title first or after you have written a poem?

(For those who don't know Elizabeth very well here is a link to her account http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/author.html?id=115147)

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Thank you Jane for continuing Life of a PnQ Poet. Since Britt is no longer with us at the moment I wasn't sure if it would be continued.

Jane's Questions:

What is my favorite forum to visit on PnQ? My favorite is probably the Non-Poetry Talk since I am there most often. Occasionally, more recently, I'll take a look through Community Talk and Poetry Talk.

Why did I decide to sign up for Life of a PnQ poet? I thought it would be a good idea for other members to get to know me and most importantly for me to get to know other members. I'm quit a social person and enjoy having meaningful discussions with others on specific topics and personally.

What do I think you have to offer the site? That's a tough question. I'll have to come back to this one.

What's my favorite color? Purple! But not just any purple. I like the 'royal' purples as well as lavender being an exception.

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Jordan's Questions:

Could you describe yourself in 5 words?

1. Passionate
    2. Optimistic
    3. Open-minded
    4. Strong-willed
    5. Caring

Which of these 5 descriptive words shine through most in your poetry?

Passion[ate]

Sylvia's Questions:

Which do you prefer, forms or what I will call free form, or just verses? Do you like rhyming more than non-rhyming verse?

- I like both form and free form. Free form because I can express my ideas the way I see fit and forms because I like a challenge. I like both rhyming and non-rhyming, but typically rhyming. I'm such a perfectionist thought it's not even funny.

What inspires you to write?

- I don't write because I want to, I write because I need to. It's hard to explain. I write to express my emotions (be they sadness, anger, happiness or other), to help me to sort through my thoughts, to capture my ideas (for short stories, novels, poems or other), about my passions in life (people, animals, nature, etc.) and capture memories (of inspirational moments, life lessons I've learned or that I can shares with others, of family, of friends, etc.). In general, I write both for and from my soul. Writing has made me into the person I am, I wouldn't be complete without that part of me. I'd be a shell of a person.

Do you have a title first or after you have written a poem?

Both. Sometimes I'll think of a title after I've written a poem while other times, most times, a title will actually inspire me to write a poem.

----

Thank you Jane, Jordan and Sylvia for your questions. Some were easier to answer than others, but those that were harder to answer just provided me with an opportunity to think and a challenge. :)

• Edward D Zurovec
    12 years ago

Firstly, I would like to say "you are ravishing!"
    Have you ever been a Gymnast?, at 5'2" you seem to be a Dynamo!, and with a temper(dynamite comes in small packages). LOL I enjoy your rhetoric in the forums, your replies are quite sustaining. What is your favorite curse word? What are your favorite smells? Can you cook and what is your favorite meal? Why Elizabeth do you have no favorite PNQ poets? Who are your favorite Poets and Poems? What music do you listen to and favorite song? Your fiance is not a trapper is he? Have you ever wanted to live in an other Era? You ever see a Sasquatch?

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Thank you Edward. I have to agree with what you said about coming in small packages, haha.

Have you ever been a Gymnast?

- I've always been athletic as a child and even still today. Fitness and nutrition is a passion and a way of life. I hope to go back to university to become a fitness trainer/nutritionist.

What is your favorite curse word?

- The ones that I randomly make up, haha. I'm known for spouting off random, unintelligible curses combined with other words you wouldn't typically find or hear in a sentence together. For instance, in a game of Mario Kart you could typically hear "Donkey sh-- balls!", "Ti--- face lickers!", "B---- hole c---!" or something along those lines from my direction. My friends don't play Mario Kart anymore to race, they play Mario Kart just to hear what I might say next! It's all in good fun.

What are your favorite smells?

- The smell of victory, haha. My favorite smells are the smell of the Earth (dirt, grass, etc.) after a rain, the smell of foliage in the Fall, fresh brewed coffee or coffee grounds even though I do not drink it, peppermint and grapefruit, just to name a few. Also, I like the 'smell', if you can call it that, of crisp, fresh, clean air in the early mornings and winter.

Can you cook and what is your favorite meal?

- Not to toot my own horn, but I am an excellent cook, haha. My favorite meals both to make and to eat are potatoes with spices and herbs, Nacho-Ordinary Taco Salad, ribs and wings. In general, I love trying new meals and recipes.

Why Elizabeth do you have no favorite PnQ poets?

- Believe it or not as long as I've been a member I haven't done that much reading of poetry to know who my favorite PnQ poet would be, even though there are those whose work I do admire and whom I do admire, and spent most of my time on here adding some of my own poetry, mostly quotes, looking for quotes, commenting on the discussion boards, in a club, talking via pm's and occasionally reading a poem by a poet that caught my eye. I've always been meaning to do a little more reading and more commenting on others poetry. Thanks for reminding me and for the incentive.

Who are your favorite poets and poems?

Most of my favorite poets and poems are those I've read in high school and university. Such as: The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe, A Supermarket in California by Allen Ginsberg, In Flanders Field by John McCrae, One Art by Elizabeth Bishop, To His Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell, A Red, Red Rose by Robert Burns, Dover Beach by Matthew Arnold, I Carry Your Heart With Me by E.E. Cummings, etc.

What music do you listen to and favorite song?

I listen to a wide variety mostly pertaining to rock and other related genres but also, depending on my mood, country, R&B, rap, etc. My favorite composers/artists/bands are: Hanz Zimmer, E.S. Posthemus, Florence + The Machine, Katy Perry, Within Temptation, Flyleaf, Evanescence, Nightwish, Flogging Molly, Avenged Sevenfold, Hail the Villain, Poets of the Fall, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, AFI, Killswitch Engaged, Disturbed, The Gazette, Apocalyptica, I am Ghost, HIM, Atreyu, Linkin Park, Broken Iris, AC/DC, Kiss, Ozzy and more. What is my favorite song of all time? I honestly have too many to just want to pick one, but some of my favorite songs right now are "E.T." by Katy Perry ft. Kayne West, "Fading" by Decyfer Down, "Howl", "The Drumming Song" and "Cosmic Love" by Florence + the Machine, "Raise Your Glass" and "F---in' Perfect" by Pink, "Not Strong Enough" by Apacalypitica ft. Brent Smith,"Born This Way" by Lady Gaga and "Say You'll Haunt Me" by Stone Sour.

You fiance is not a trapper is he?

- Haha, no he is not. Why do you ask? He is a power engineer/operator.

Have you ever wanted to live in another era?

- Sort of. The era, or world even, I imagine doesn't exist.

You ever see a Sasquatch?

- YES! I even have a picture of one on top of a waterfall (in that all too familiar running pose)! Didn't even know I caught sight of one until I saw the picture. I swear up and down it's a Sasquatch, haha.

• Edward D Zurovec
    12 years ago

Exquisite answers my Lady!

Why do you ask if he's a trapper?
    I don't want him tanning my hide! LOL

Could you explain the Era or World that does not exist Elizabeth?

Profound! Only a few Earthlings have ever seen a Wookie.

• Michael D Nalley
    12 years ago

When day turns to night
    the northern lights dance, flowing
    river in the sky

The natural beauty of these words flow into my mind heart and soul like a flowing river

What or who inspired this haiku?

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Could you explain the Era or World that does not exist Elizabeth?

- Hmm, that's a tough one. I guess you could say its a world where both science and magic (or spirituality) are one and the same (yeah, that's right, I just stole that from Thor, haha), where the impossible becomes possible, where good triumphs over evil (almost) every time, etc. Something cliche like that.

Nano's Questions:

How have you been lately? Did you miss me as I missed you?

- I've been feeling exceptional as late, thanks for asking. And yes, I do miss you. I miss seeing you in the club. I catch myself sometimes looking for you and wondering why you haven't been on in such a long time, forgetting you left the club, haha.

Do you have ambitions? Dreams?

- Dream: To have a home to call my own, have a successful career, marry the love of my life, to start a family together, to have a big, close-knit family and friends to share my life with and in my dreams.

Ambition: To be a writer, go back to university to study under fitness and nutrition, get a dog, travel the world, learn another language, take up a musical instrument, etc.

What is your deepest fear?

- Fears as in phobias or in general? A general fear is of loosing my friends, disappointing the people I care about and not being able to accomplish my ambitions or goals in life.

What is your favorite food?

- Potatoes, peas, ribs and wings!

Do you like donuts?

- Not particularly, haha.

Define beauty, happiness and freedom.

- I could probably give you an essay long description of what I believe beauty and happiness and freedom is. The one thing I can say is that, beauty and happiness come from within. Happiness is not something ready made and not something that can be pursued, it comes from within oneself. You are as happy as you make up your mind to be. Regarding beauty, check out the poem I wrote "Beauty Undefined", it explains my opinion. As for freedom, it depends what you mean by freedom, but in general on that topic I'm a realist.

Do you get angry easily?

- I'm going to say sometimes, haha. When I was younger I did have a temper. However, over many years I have gotten quite skilled at understanding, controlling and managing anger. As you know I am typically easy-going, optimistic, etc. I will say this though... I am not a push over. I am a force to be reckoned with. I've been known to strike fear in the hearts of mine enemies. Bahaha! :P

What do you hate? What do you love?

- I don't "hate" things or people. I don't think I have it in me. Words have power and "hate" is a strong word. I try avoiding words such as "hate". As far as what I dislike: Abusers, be they man or women, whether it be physical, emotional or sexual abuse and whether it be child abuse, senior abuse, domestic abuse, animal abuse, etc. Bullies. People who claim to be your friends but who have a funny way of showing it, who take your friendship for granted or otherwise who have a distorted view of what a friend is and should do or what is considered a friendship. Those who are dishonest, immature, overreact, rude or otherwise disrespectful. The overly sensitive and the selfish. The typical things.

As for what I love: Life itself, nature, my fiance, my family (related and extended), my kitten Bella, animals (cats, dogs, wolves, etc.), cooking, fitness, reading (my books), writing, drawing, photography, meeting new people, going out, etc.

Is family more important to you than friends?

- I like to consider my friends, my true friends, as extended family. I am not the type of person who likes to treat people unequally. I try to treat everyone, family, friends and strangers, as equally as the next. Either way, family and friends are extremely important to me and are a big influence in my life.

Describe me. :)

- You're honest, kind, genuine, passionate and understanding. I think you have a beautiful mind, soul and of course as I told you before think you are gorgeous. We have a lot in common. I enjoy our meaningful conversations. :)

What is your favorite poem written by me (if you still read my work).

- I've read a few of your poems, but I shall read all of your poems and I will let you know. :)

Haha, Nano, you ask me such detailed, open-ended questions, sometimes I can only give you a general answer. I enjoy answering them though, it give me an opportunity to think. Keep 'em coming.

• Sylvia
    12 years ago

What do you think is more important in a relationship, love or trust and why?

What does love mean to you?

Where do you see yourself in five years?

What country or place would you like to visit?

Are you a neat organized person or a messy unorganized person?

What annoys you the most in people?

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Thank you Bob, that means a lot to me. Haha, I've noticed there's been a lot of drama lately, for whatever reason. I try to stay clear of unnecessary drama, if I can. Though sometimes I do find myself stirring the pot a little or causing a little trouble, or is it trouble that finds me? Lol.

Is there a reason or is it a passion of yours to LISTEN and then ADVISE? Is it something that interests you, counseling, etc.?

- I think it just comes naturally to me, to be attuned with other people emotionally and perhaps spiritually, and because I'm naturally a social person. I enjoy listening to others, having meaningful conversations, even advising others, family, friends and strangers and of course getting to know people on a personal level. I've always been told I should be a counselor of some kind, which I think would be befitting for me and something I would enjoy doing. Guess that's kind of why I want to go into fitness and nutrition, it's a passion and away of life for me and I will have the opportunity to advise others.

Michael:

What inspired me to write this haiku was the place I call home: Saskatchewan. The title "Land of Living Skies" is the province's common endonym and I wanted my poem to reflect that. Saskatchewan tends to be criticized for being "flat" and considered "boring", I wanted my poem to prove otherwise and reflect my perception. That's when I remember distinctively once when I was younger looking up into the night sky and seeing the northern lights. It 'glowed' with a rich emerald green and panned across the sky, almost flowing, like a river. And that is where I found my inspiration. :)

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Your photo is quite ravishing. Where and why was it taken?

• abracadabra
    12 years ago

So do you have any weaknesses at all?

• Kevin
    12 years ago

How much surgery, dear Lizzy, does a man need to have to turn himself into a woman before another man isn't gay for having sex with them?

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Thank you Jordan. This picture was taken several years ago at the photographers in-home studio for my graduation.

Abracadabra's question:

By weakness do you mean like fear or faults? But yes, I do have weaknesses. Just don't tell anyone, haha. I have a fear of death (or rather dying) and a fear of, brace yourselves, in combination dark water, algae, fish and lakes. As for my faults, at times I can be insecure, sometimes let my temper get the best of me, I can be headstrong, can sometimes have high-standards, I give myself a hard time and am sometimes a procrastinator. No on is perfect, we have attributes that we like and that are admired by others as well as faults that we do not like and that others dislike. I think being able to admit and accept both in ourselves is important. It's who we are, but who we are, also, is constantly changing and growing with our experiences and as we get older.

Sylvia's Questions:

I don't believe there is one overall important thing, that's not realistic. But I do believe that trust, among other things such as respect, honesty, loyalty, communication, etc., are more important in a relationship than love alone. Why? Mostly, it has to do with my own beliefs and my own experiences. I've seen many people in love but their partner and/or themselves lack either trust, respect, honesty, loyalty or communication. No relationship is perfect, but I do believe in order for a healthy, happy relationship to continue and move forward that those things need to be present. For example, someone might have trust issues and they might have had them even before they met their partner. That doesn't necessarily mean the relationship is a no go, it just means that there is something that person has to overcome and as a couple they have to overcome. If that person and as a couple can overcome that, that says a lot. But if that's something they can't overcome, it could possible take it's toll on the relationship. Some things are easier to overcome than others. I know that if something could be worked out that I would give it my all, but I also know that if, for examples, my partner had no respect for me, I had not trust in my partner or my partner was disloyal to me, the relationship wouldn't be able to move forward. In general, I don't think love is the most important thing to a relationship, there are some things that are just more or just as important.

What does love mean to me? That's a good question, but not necessarily a difficult one. For everyone, it means something different. Love to me is an ability, to love others and to feel love. There are different kinds of love, love for your family, love for your friends, love for your significant other and most importantly self-love. Self-love being the most important love of all.

In five years I see myself with a successful career, married, my own house, a dog and kid(s). I can see myself getting up for work, excited for what the new day brings, and coming home from work, loving what I do. I can see myself barbecuing and having bonfires with my family on those summer afternoons and nights. I can see myself with my friends every day, having "coffee", going for walks, going out to the clubs just for fun, going to the gym, going on roadtrips, etc. I can see myself happy with myself and in life. It's the simple things I treasure most.

I would like to visit the UK some day.

I am both an organized and an unorganized person, that is when I want to be. Mostly I am organized and when things are unorganized it drives me up the wall.

People who are oversensitive, who take everything to heart and become over dramatic about it, annoy me. I just can't stand it.

Kevin, I couldn't tell you. Why, you interested? Lol. How much surgery does a man need to have to turn himself into a woman before another man isn't gay for having sex with them? That's an even more interesting question than why'd the chicken cross the road. Sigh. I dream of a better world... where chickens can cross the road without having the motives called into question. Haha. To answer your question, probably quite a lot I'm guessing. It depends what that person considers to be a women.

• Kevin
    12 years ago

Could you be a tad more precise (lol I first typed explicit) with your answer to my question?

: )

lets say a man, gets the hair removal, breast, ass, thigh, lip and cheek implants, they have hair extensions, fake nails their voice has been altered and they ever have old Mr pee pee removed. Would another man be gay for having sex with em?

Come on...

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

The whole kit and kaboodle huh, I'll bite, haha. I think it depends on a person's own views of SRS's. If they're the type of person who is accepting of it, of that person, and acknowledges them as a woman, they probably wouldn't think they were gay or it is gay of someone for sleeping with them. If they're the type of person who does not accept it, or that person, and doesn't acknowledge them as a woman but rather still a man, then they would probably think that one would be gay if they slept with them.

If a man slept with another man who'd undergone SRS, the works and is now recognized as a woman, whether he acknowledges that they are a woman or not, then my opinion likely would be that he is gay (or bi). But that's not so set in stone either.

I'm generally an open-minded person. In regards to this topic, if a person wants to get a SRS and whatever else, if it's going to make them happy with themselves and in life then by all means, I'm not one to judge. But if a man got SRS to become a women, would I still consider him a man or a woman? I think that depends whether I knew them to begin with or not. If I knew him, I might still acknowledge him as a man or I might acknowledge him thereafter as a woman, I've never been in that situation before so it's hard to give a clear cut answer. If I didn't know him, or I should say her, if I'd met her after the SRS and she told me she use to be a man I probably would still acknowledge her as a woman.

Toughest question yet! Keven, you've made my migraine worse, lol.

• Cindy
    12 years ago

Elizabeth
    Once you write and release your emotions do you feel better inside?

• PnQ Mod Account
    12 years ago

I'm going to give each Life of a PnQ Poet 2 weeks before posting the next, sound good? So you're still our feature, Elizabeth!
    Keep the questions coming, guys.

Jane

• Narphangu
    12 years ago

What is your writing process? Do you put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard? Do you spend time choosing words and meanings, or do you just say what you say and leave it at that? Do you use sources or research before you write, do you edit or ask for feedback before you post your work online... You can answer this however you like. It's all really one question. :)

Also, what is your favorite nail polish color, and what do you do when it rains?

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Sorry for going awol everyone, haha.

Nano's Questions:

Have I ever suffered depression? Yes, for a couple years, due to medication I was taking at the time which I weened off of immediately although the effects of the medication and the experience stayed with me long after.

Have I ever failed to do something? Most likely, though I have no particular instances to share. Lately I've been a horrible procrastinator when it comes to doing basic everyday things. It's time to break this vicious cycle, haha.

Do I like popcorn? I LOVE popcorn! Preferably freshly popped, either with or without butter and salt.

What kind of salads do I like? I like me a plain old tossed salad thank you, haha. I'm not much for dressing. I do like my salads to be filled with as much vegetables as possible (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, spinach, carrots, etc.), some chicken breast, some nuts or perhaps cheese.

Have I ever been in a fight? Only verbal, not yet physical. I'd rather not get into a physical altercation if I can help it. I would never, EVER, throw the first punch or initiate something... I'll finish it, but I won't start it. I will not be pushed around or disrespected, I will defend myself and I will defend others if need be.

What is the most dangerous accident that happened to me? No accidents thankfully.

Am I thankful and optimistic? Indeed I am. I am thankful everyday for life, for family, for friends, for opportunities, etc. I am always, and have always been, optimistic. If I wasn't, I'd be a miserable person and live a miserable life. I for one am not willing to sacrifice my well being, physically or in any other way, or destroy the quality of my life in such a way.

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Cindy, yes once I write and release my pent up emotions I do feel better inside. But sometimes I feel like my soul is trapped in my own body.

Nar's Questions:

I use to write everything in a journal or on paper. Now I usually go straight to the computer first, it's faster to edit or add to whatever I'm writing that way, but not easier I find. For many years(?) I feel like I've had writers block. Sometimes I wonder if I go back to writing things out on paper first if the words will come flowing easier or faster. Maybe that's all it would take to get things going again. I'm a perfectionist, no doubt about that. I take my time in choosing the exact words and get the exact meaning in my writing. It's something I've been making the conscious effort to break. I do like to do a lot of research before I write, that is depending what I am writing. I do like feedback as well, which is one of the reasons why I am on P&Q, to become a better writer. Sometimes feedback can be hard to hear, but that's the only way I'm going to grow. :)

My favorite nail polish color I would have to say is a pearl-like white or silver on account I love to french tip my own nails.

When it rains I like to go outside in the rain for a walk or just to splash around in the puddles. Otherwise I like to just curl up to watch a good movie, read a good book or to work on my writing.

----

Thank you all for your wonderfully questions, I had fun answering them! Thank you Jane for the opportunity to be a part of this fun activity.

• Italian Stallion
    12 years ago

Why are all the Liz's I know so beautiful and well rounded as an individual? Is it because of the name? :)

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Thank you Nano! I'd gotten new clothes that day and just couldn't wait to put them on, a habit of mine. I'm surprised that I could control myself and that I didn't just strip down when I got into the car in the parkade(sp?) to wear them, I'm well-known for that and to do that you know, lol. Yep, I'm not shy at all. Of course then I decided I should curl my hair, recently had it cut and wanted to see how it looked. I often "doll" myself up even when I'm not planning on going out. Why not.

And thank you Joe. That's very interesting of you to say. Is it in the name? I'm not sure. I don't know many other people personally named Elizabeth (first name that is) other than a great grandmother I'd never met and a girl who I use to go to highschool with who although we shared some similarities there were still some significant differences. I like to think I'm unique, haha.

• Italian Stallion
    12 years ago

Liz, you are very welcome.

May I call you Liz or do you like to be called Elizabeth?

I also have to agree, love your clothes (and you of course) they look great on you - so beautiful! Love your radiance as well, you just glow with happiness.

What do you like most about summer time? Least?

If you could re-live one moment in time, what would it be and why?

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

Birds of a feather flock together Nano, haha. :P

Thank you Joe. I go by either Liz or Elizabeth, but my friends call me Liz or Lizzy. Then of course there's Lizard Breath, can't forget that.

"Love your radiance as well, you just glow with happiness." Awe, that's so beautiful of you say, thank you. The last time someone told me I "glowed" they were trying to tell me I looked like I was pregnant, lol.

What do I like most about summer time? Least? The things I love most and enjoy most about summer is that the days are longer, I get to wear my flip-flops and skimpy cloths, barbecuing, sitting by a bon fire with my family, having a drink and just enjoying each others company and the night, going swimming at the lake or just laying on the beach, spending time with my friends, and in general traveling more often and being more physical active. The things I like the least about summer is the bugs (got plenty of them in the house and am not looking forward to the mosquitos and ticks) and forgetting to put on sunscreen or not enough and getting sunburned. That seems to be about it, haha. What's not to like about summer.

If I could re-live one moment in time, what would it be and why? It would be May long of last year when my friends and I got together at a friends cabin by the lake for the weekend. I would re-live that moment because that was the last time we'd all been together since I graduated, we had an amazing time together and I was truly happy at that moment. It was simple and it was perfect. "We do not remember days, we remember moments."

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

Excuse me if I have told you this before, and it is random at this point, but you remind me of another Liz from Canada who was a member here on PnQ... When I read your posts and see your pictures, it gives me a weird nostalgic feeling. Some sadness is stirred, but mostly happiness because I see her in you. I used to call her Liz, Lizzy, and Lizard Breath. Funny.

Anyway, great answers to all of these great questions :) You sure are a lovely person.