Songwritng through poetry

• Misshapenheart21
    12 years ago

I've recently decided to try out songwriting, poetry seemed like a good way to write lyrics. I have always been a good writer but my poetry/songs/quotes are usually "loose" and sloppy, please look up my poems and quotes and give me feedback on how to make them better, many of them are just pieces of songs i am writing, they change all the time
    I really need help with making my poems/songs better... Any ideas/strategies/etc.?

THANKS

• Narphangu
    12 years ago

I feel your frustration. I'm a guitar playing singer who writes poetry but can't formulate a song. That said, I do have a very good friend who's a fantastic composer. He says he started writing "train of thought" songs, and I admit, some of the lines he used sounded ridiculous, but it let him expose all of his creativity in an unharnessed and unrestricted way. Over time, he's improved. So, I gather, that song writing is just like poetry writing. It starts loose, and overtime, with practice and life experience, eventually the words and the music tie together into something more coherent and meaningful.

So far as tying poetry and music together, listen to artists who are great lyricists... Andrew Bird and Laura Marling come to mind.
    Hope that helps.

• Misshapenheart21
    12 years ago

Thanks for your tips, i'll work on this

if anyone else has ideas/tips please share!

• Misshapenheart21
    12 years ago

My latest poem/song idea isnt even to the point where its an idea yet... just unconnected phrases on paper, i'm working on connecting them smoothly or splitting it into multiple poem/song ideas... hopefully it'll work :)

• Marvell Rock
    12 years ago

U guys ar gud, we just gotta focus on what we ar doing and believe me our time will come. Im into music too and feel like my lyrics ar like somethng ive already heard... wud u advise me?

• Hallucinostic
    12 years ago

Well, its a process, don't expect things to be perfect in one try lol, though it happens sometimes. Just try to play/sing your songs to yourself over and over and over and over and don't be afraid to improvise along the way, you'll be surprised on what you'd discover when doing that, lol. Anyhow, good luck on your music......
    And oh yeah, keep it in tune, JUST KIDDING! I know you already know that.

Keep in touch, rock n roll and blessed be!

- Dib :D

• Amreen
    12 years ago

Try rhyming