Song of the Cattle Hunters

• kate
    12 years ago

I came here because there are so many talented and smart people so if anyone could help me out with this poem and questions:

While the morning light beams on the fern-matted streams,
    And the water-pools flash in its glow,
    Down the ridges we fly, with a loud ringing cry --
    Down the ridges and gullies we go!
    And the cattle we hunt -- they are racing in front,
    With a roar like the thunder of waves,
    As the beat and the beat of our swift horses' feet
    Start the echoes away from their caves!
    As the beat and the beat
    Of our swift horses' feet
    Start the echoes away from their caves!

Like a wintry shore that the waters ride o'er,
    All the lowlands are filling with sound;
    For swiftly we gain where the herds on the plain,
    Like a tempest, are tearing the ground!
    And we'll follow them hard to the rails of the yard,
    O'er the gulches and mountain-tops grey,
    Where the beat and the beat of our swift horses' feet
    Will die with the echoes away!
    Where the beat and the beat
    Of our swift horses' feet
    Will die with the echoes away!

1. How does the title of the poem suggest the subject matter of the poem?

2. What are the possible themes of this poem? That is, why did Kendall write it? What 'deeper' messages are contained in this poem? Does this poem teach you anything about life, about people, about being Australian?

How would you describe the mood )atmosphere or feeling) of the poem? List at least 3 quotations that help show the mood of the poem.

3. What is the rhyme scheme of the poem? What does it give to the poem in terms of sound, enjoyment and so on?

4. What words would you use to describe the rhythm (beat) of this poem? How do the rhythm and thyme work together emphasise the subject matter of this poem?

5. List 2 examples (quotations) of onomatopoeia and 2 quotations of repetition on each quotation, say what the effect is on sound and meaning.

6. Quote 2 similes from the poem and next to each one, describe the word picture or image that is made more effective (powerful).

7. Quote an example of what you think is an outstanding image. Comment on it (saying also what 'sense' it appeals to).

8. Describe your 'personal' feelings about this poem. What did you find enjoyable about it?

• Sincuna
    12 years ago

Sorry, Kate, your account is one day old and this is your only post. Evidence suggests that this is a homework you'd wish the members of this site would do for you.

But I don't want to immediately jump to negative judgments. Before any member should give their opinions regarding the poem, however, you must first give yours. Share with us your answers to each question and I'd gladly give mine. And the others would probably do so as well.

In the mean time, here's an excerpt from Collins' "Introduction to Poetry":

But all they want to do
    is tie the poem to a chair with rope
    and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
    to find out what it really means.

• kate
    12 years ago

I have tried :( I barely get the poem or the questions. This is like the first time I've done poetry please help.

• Narphangu
    12 years ago

Talk to your teacher, maybe he/she can help you go over it? Then come back and tell us what you think. :)

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

Now this is a "form" poem that I like.