Life of a PnQ Poet - Jordan TC

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

Life of a PnQ Poet allows members of PnQ to interview the poet of the fortnight. Please keep your questions respectful and if the PnQ poet wishes to abstain from any questions, remember they may do so without explanation. Have fun and ask away!

----

Host of WOTD, a long term member of TC, a master of dark poetry, and a magnificently knowledgeable bloke, I have the great honor of introducing Jordan to you.

Here's his latest work -

Phobia Obscura
    by Jordan TC

Airborne stuck between a synapse
    The place where organs feel scrutinized for
    Each of their actions great
    And small
    There is a bit of tension in the air
    Stirring matter is being pulled back
    As though the gods
    Themselves are inhaling
    As quickly as it was pulled back
    Millions of cells begin to panic
    Over and over
    Air has the semblance of fire

There's somebody hanging from the light fixture
    What's that man doing up on the counter

There's something coming after you
    Blacker than the ends of the earth
    Its visions plague you steer you
    Toward madness

Frenzy

I can't remember ever feeling this alive

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

What countries have you visited?

Why does darkness, fantasy, and violence appeal to you?

If you lived in a medieval realm, what role would you play?

What is... your favorite color?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

"What countries have you visited?"

Aside from my home country (Canada) I have only been to Russia.

"Why does darkness, fantasy, and violence appeal to you?"

I played a lot of video games and watched a lot of movies when I was younger. I often would be drawn to fantasy and horror (the gorier the better). I think that it mostly has to do with what I was exposed to and preferred as a child, but who really knows? :D

"If you lived in a medieval realm, what role would you play?"

If we're talking a fantastical medieval realm, I'd definitely be some sort of sorceror or wizard. A realistic one...most likely a farmer's son who longs to wield a broadsword or battleaxe. Bahahahah.

"What is... your favorite color?"

Blue...no green! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

In all seriousness, though, I dunno. I like black, reds, and blues.

• Narphangu
    12 years ago

Why Russian? Why linguistics?

If you were going to collect something (stamps, rubber boots, coconuts) what would it be? Why?

Favorite Monty Python sketch?

Favorite comedian?

Which of your poems do you like best or feel is most important?

Hmm.
    Is it hot up in Canada now, eh?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Why Russian? Why linguistics?

Russian? Thought the language was pretty, wanted to learn a different alphabet. Ended up loving it. Learned that I like the history, customs and people of the country as well.

Linguistics...It was sort of random. I just thought it sounded interesting. It turns out that I found it extremely appealing. I can't wait to start studying again!

If you were going to collect something (stamps, rubber boots, coconuts) what would it be? Why?

I have several small collections. I think collecting things is one of the only things I can really focus on. I have 200+ dvds, I keep lots of books around. Yeah. I like media.

Favorite Monty Python sketch?

Hmm....either The Ministry of Silly Walks or....probably the holy hand grenade of antioch section of The Holy Grail.

Favorite comedian?

Too many to choose from. Maybe Louis C.K.?

Which of your poems do you like best or feel is most important?

I find that I usually like whatever my best latest work is (Or at least whatever I feel it is).
    I've written a lot of stuff since January that has had real feeling in it (which is kind of rare), so it's hard for me to pick.

"Hmm.
    Is it hot up in Canada now, eh?"

In parts of ontario they are experiencing 50 degrees celcius (which is a record breaker). Here in Newfoundland we are experiencing one of the coldest summers we've had in a long time. Also, I felt that little "eh" shiver up my spine. Hahahahah.

• Jenni
    12 years ago

What dreams did you have when you were a kid? Were you able to fullfil them?

What moments inspire you the most?

Do you have a pet?

What is your favorite movie and why?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

What dreams did you have when you were a kid? Were you able to fullfil them?

My dreams and aspirations, like a lot of children, evolved several times. I have yet to fulfill any of my current aspirations but I can assure you that they will happen some day. :)

What moments inspire you the most?

Love. Love always inspires me and is one of the main drives in my life. Cliche? I dunno...

Do you have a pet?

I have 2! A beautiful long haired cat named Katie and a bearded dragon named Molly.

What is your favorite movie and why?

Pan's Labyrinth. It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, and it brings to life the mind of a child which is one of the most magnificent things that could ever grace your life. I also have a bit of a thing for military settings in movies that don't focus entirely on war. Also, it contains some of the most brutal violence I've ever seen in a movie, and I admire any film that can make me cringe.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Hey there! :)

Write down few words that describe you well.
    What makes you write? what is your inspiration?
    What is your favorite book? magazine?

anddd do you really speak Russian? if so, then
    ya emmayu chest pazna cometsa svami :):)

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

What are your favorite restaurants where you live & your favorite tourist spots?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Poetess!

"Write down few words that describe you well."

Sarcastic
    Witty (at least I like to think so! Hah)
    Twisted
    Slightly obnoxious
    Caring
    Generous

"What makes you write? what is your inspiration?"

- I'll answer as though you had said "Why do you write?" as well.

Love.
    Loss.
    Beauty.
    The drive to make nonsense understood as an art form.
    To disgust or perhaps catch people off guard and/or to make dark things seem bright and beautiful.

What is your favorite book? magazine?

Book: The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King.

Magazine: ....I don't really read magazines but I do enjoy geeking out with a good gaming magazine (more specifically Nintendo Power) or perhaps National Geographic.

As for the Russian question...I don't speak it, really. I know a lot about the grammar and how the language works but I currently have very little vocabulary and since I haven't spoken it in over a year, all other aspects of the language are starting to slip.

Larry!

Thanks for changing your question, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to respond! :)

For my favorite restaurant, it's a toss up.

There's a little Japanese restaurant called Sun Sushi that I really enjoy. They have great cuisine there and give complementary miso soup!

After hours, though, I really like to visit a restaurant called the Celtic Hearth for a pint or two or a few whiskeys and some nachos. It's a 24 hour restaurant that operates on the street below George Street (that's our world famous pub-infested street in downtown St. John's).

My favorite tourist spot is a really tough call. I really enjoy going to Cape Bonavista to watch for whales and see the puffins fly about - it's a very serene spot. However, on the west coast of Newfoundland is a very large national park called Gros Morne (which is also the name of a mountain I climbed while I was there). There are some amazing sights to be seen and if you ever get a chance I highly recommend visiting!

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Thanks Jordan for your answers! :):)

• Jordan
    12 years ago

:D

• Narphangu
    12 years ago

Ahh, I remember you mentioning that based on people's reactions to the flow of your poetry, you didn't think they'd really like your favorite music.
    (Man, that was a confused sentence, lol)
    Which brings me to ask the question of all questions!
    What type of music do you like to listen to, and could you suggest some songs that are central to your style? :P

• Jordan
    12 years ago

I like metal in most of its shapes and sizes. That's a vague statement. My favorite (sub)genre specifically is Death Metal but as a general rule I listen to music on a band-to-band basis.

My favorite song lately is "Moonlight Equilibrium" by The Black Dahlia Murder.

If you want to hear some of the more erratic noise that I call music, check out "Lurch" by The Dillinger Escape Plan and "Alaska" by Between the Buried and Me.

I have been delving into the world of rap lately, finding solace in Li'l Wayne, Cadence Weapon, Method Man, and Tyler, The Creaor.

My Favorite Instrumental musician is guitarist John 5.

We can't forget greats like Opeth, In Flames, Dark Tranquility or Dethklok, either!

I like music in all its forms, though, running from classical to bluegrass and even sometimes gospel!

Ugh. Too many.

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

I was going to ask about your music / poetry relationship, too. What sorts of rhythms are you influenced by?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Most of my rythms from the past few years are influenced by Dillinger (mentioned above).

Other than that it could be anyone, to be honest. I guess anyone who plays with syntactic or conventional structures in a creative and/or intuitive way.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

What is your favorite perfume?

Do you like apples?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

I like you. You give me questions to think about and I'm learning a bit about myself. :)

Family. I love my family. I am not in great contact with my brother - not because I don't like him, but because we had a bit of a distance after I turned about 12 (he's 6 years older than me and moved out that year. Even though we don't share a close relationship, I would most certainly do anything for him. My mother and father are the best people I could ever ask for in my life. My father and I share a quiet but very understanding relationship. My mother and I are basically best friends.

So I guess family means a lot. :)

Perfume on a lady...I really like Givenchy products. A very important person in my life used to wear them and presumably still does.

I find, though, that whatever fragrance a lady who I'm close with uses to make me swoon usually does the trick. ;)

Apples are hit or miss. I like really dark 5 point apples. The sweet ones.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

I like you too. xD your answers are fun to read! :)

I wear Givenchy btw :P

ok, my last question! TADA TADA

-what is your biggest fear?

.......and add this one :P

-are you an optimistic person??

aaand JUST this one! :P

-why is your poetry so damn great!

:P

byebye :D

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Oh! What perfume in particular (If you don't mind me asking)?

Biggest fear? It's a bit of a blanket statement, but my biggest fear is the unknown. That means things that I can't see and the open ocean. I especially fear the notion of losing all cognitive abilities.

I also have an irrational fear of moths and centipedes. Hahahaha.

I'm fairly optimistic. Mostly I make sure to keep my chin high and be as easy going as possible. I also practice laughter on a regular basis. The combination causes for an indestructible shield that most things can't penetrate. It's pretty hard to keep cool all of the time, but I think I do a pretty good job.

My poetry...I have no answer. I just write what comes out of my fingertips. I'm too modest. Also I don't know how to accept complements. Thank you. :)

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Ysatis or Organza!
    I fear cats and rats too.
    I also think that your poetry just comes right away out of your heart.

Do you have regrets?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Regrets....

When I do something that I regret, it eventually turns into something that I accept as a growing experience or chalk up to just being human.

I believe that every experience ends up being a positive experience in the end - helps you become stronger and more self aware. Knowledge in all its forms is a very powerful thing to me.

So not really, no! :)

Organza. I was hoping you would remind me of that.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

But don't you think sometimes that this experience you have achieved isn't really worth the pain?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

At first, yeah. Once it settles (no matter how long it takes) it usually levels out, though. I mean, I wouldn't ever WANT to experience painful things (outside of tattoos and piercings lololol) but I try my hardest to not let things get to me. I exercise my brain a lot through these means. :P

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Do you have any tattoos or piercings?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Oh, you shouldn't be so afraid. Life is fantastic if you make it fantastic, you see? :D:D:D

Haha YES. I love answering this question.

Okay.

In my right ear I have:

a helix (standard run-of-the-mill cartilage piercing)
    a conch piercing
    2 lobe piercings (self pierced) one is stretched to 00g and the other is 2g.

Right ear:

My anti-tragus
    A snug percing
    A transverse lobe
    A standard lobe piercing (self pierced) stretched to 00g.

I have my septum pierced and stretched to 10g

I have a few retired piercings as well. A rook in my left ear, the center of my lip (which was stretched to 8g). I also had the sides of my lip pierced. Also used to have a nipple pierced.

Tattoos:

I have a coffin in the webbing of my right hand, a keyhole in the webbing of my left. Inspired by Stephen King's "The Dark Tower".

Three symbols of the Goddesses from The Legend of Zelda series of video games on the inside of my right forearm.

A big grey scale Cheshire Cat on the outside of my right calf.

Also a sunburst on my left hip that I got when I was 16. My 1 regret in life? Hahahahaha.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Oh my.
    I didn't expect this.

And do you like them on girls too?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

I like girls with and without tattoos/piercings. Although I do find girls to be that much more attractive when they have a few piercings or a stunning tattoo or two. It's all about what you can pull off, right?

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

I don't really like to have too many tattoos on my body... It's scary.

Oh, and one more question. Is Jordan your real name?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Haha, to each their own. I respect your views while not holding them myself. I do encourage you to do a little bit of research into them. Body modification is quite interesting, y'know. ;)

Yep, Jordan is my real name. Hahah!

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

XD

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

Jordan - Do you ever miss your long hair?

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Sometimes, yep.

I think what I'm gonna do is grow it back out when it starts to turn grey along with a huge grey beard and become a wandering ascetic, living off nothing but the land and my own wizard-like appearance.