Can't simple poetry be beautiful?

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

Hi friends, this thread is al about..
    Simple poetry..
    If u believe in writing simple, please share your poetry with me..

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

I prefer simple poetry. I think too many complicated words can easily bog down a poem, if they're not used deftly and with attention to flow and balance.

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

Every form of poetry fills a need. For me a simple poem is best for presenting a clear image or crisp idea. Senryu and haiku forms are my favorite, but sometimes just short non-formated work is better.

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Well said, Sibby. I haaaaate when people base poetry on its vocabulary. A solid poem does not need complicated diction to keep it afloat.

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

Its my pleasure to recieved such comments from our moderaters.
    I am so happy that our moderators think the same too..
    They prefer simple poetry.
    And i totally agreed with you monster..that a solid poem doesnt need complicated diction to keep it afloat..

• Hallucinostic
    12 years ago

Having simplicity doesnt necessarily mean that its boring, lol. A simple poem and a boring one are two very different things. Being simple is beautiful, like no nonesense, straight to the point, exact or short, it just comes down to how you handle the simple words, the simplest of words can be very poetic if used correctly yknow. Being boring on the other hand, well, no explanation needed for that, well, maybe there is, but I know you guys get the point, lol... Anyways, thats just my opinion on things... Rock n roll and blessed be. :D

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

You are absolutely right dib.
    This is what i meant ,what i have in my mind, when i post this thread.
    Thanks, my friend for clearing the thought so well..

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

It depends.

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

Even you are right noura. Vocab is important, but too much of unknown adjectives and verbs only frustrate the reader..

• Robert Gardiner
    12 years ago

What is a simple poem, first, would be my question? A poem does not have to be complicated to be good, but it does need life, and words (vocabulary), imagery, rhythm, flow, tone, and metaphors, similes, alliteration and such give it that life, so you can't make a poem too simple. It needs something to it. So, it gets back to how you define simple. If a poem reads as lifeless, it is too simple and if a poem leaves the reader confounded, it is too complicated!!! I feel, a LARGE PART of a poem's Beauty is its ability to Captivate the reader, its ability to Enrapture the reader in its Rhapsody and Magic, whether it be a more involved write or a simple one!!!

• Decayed
    12 years ago

Honestly, my point of view towards this issue has changed.

I used to think that a poem over-loaded with images and thesaurus vocabulary is interesting and better than simple-worded, yet vivid poems...

But now, I think that simplicity is alluring!

• Britt
    12 years ago

I think it's the emotion you feel when you read it that make it for you. I tend to stray from lengthy poems with big words that are forced, or words that people push in to make themselves sound more intelligent and important. Most of the poetry I write is stripped down and simple, but it's my emotion.. and that's something I look for when reading others poetry, too. It's a matter of opinion and preferences :)

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

I say simple poetry and complicated poetry have their pro's and con's. The way I classify poems according to interesting and boring is the following:

Interesting;
    1) New topic, not something people usually write about
    2) No clichie's; original work... not the regular descriptions and metaphors.
    3) Intelligent use of words; this could range from using complicated vocabulary to using a word in a creative way << this I find in Indian movies most common, sometimes they may seem funny, but they gain attention and make the poem interesting.
    4) Playing with words, like some jokes have when they use a word with another meaning like breaking it up into two.
    5) The poem has a unique rhythm to it.

A boring poem;
    Basically, it has none of the above... but there are also other things;
    1) Too short where it is more like a quote.
    2) Too long; I don't know how long, but when a poem involves a lot of scrolling down, it's too long... divide it up into parts. Also, if a tittle is too long, it seems less interesting.
    3) Spacing and capitalization; some poems are spaced like a paragraph and others are spaced too much, like they're double spaced. This doesn't make the poem boring, but it hurts the eyes and makes it difficult to read. Some people for some reason CAPTITALIZE THE WHOLE POEM; this also hurts the eyes and is rude, because it seems like screaming. Grammar and spelling also falls into this category, it makes the poem hard to read (unless it is the theme of the poem or word play).

That pretty much sums it up for me, but maybe there is something I left out which I could add onto if I remember.

• karl fisher
    12 years ago

I personally like writing short verses sometimes they are too much like quotes but i like to say how i feel quickly and simply

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

^ Took a look at them, they're not too short, and not like a quote, your shortest one was 3 lines and they didn't have 3 words in them.. so, good length.

I meant too short as in a one or two line poem which is something like;
    "I love it when I wake up,
    and smell your fragrant hair"
    or
    "Sometimes life demands making sacrifices,
    I'm just not willing to do that for you"

^ These are my own, on the spot examples of a too short poem. There are people who do this and it annoys me.

Also, something I haven't mentioned is that I don't like it when a poem sounds or looks like a story or essay... when someone bluntly describes things. Lets say I'm talking about my first date;

"we went out as the sun was shinning,
    I saw the color of your eyes,
    and you were smiling
    we went to the coffee shop we both love
    and we had the most amazing coffee
    because you were with me"

^ too plain... no emotions.

And I like when someone writes a poem like they're writing their immediate thoughts, like they're talking to themselves.

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

Zahra, I like these examples. Yes, it is all about the emotions and metaphors, not about the wording.

• Jordan
    12 years ago

Larry mentioned the haiku/senryu. Japanese poetry tends to rely on simplicity to describe beauty. Their music is very similar to this, as well as martial arts. Being swift and economical while maintaining the desired message is a skill that many respect.

• abracadabra
    12 years ago

Yes, the less hefty the poetry, the better. However, it's not only the length and amount of words that should be kept "simple". I feel the best poems are simple in their impact. By simple, I mean that the effect could be absolutely profound, but it is felt simply, clearly, straightforwardly, beautifully.

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

Wow,abracadabra ..explained it well..
    And no noura ,your poems are not simple ,there are tough..and zahra..omg..

Noura ,u have no idea ,why abed said..'simplicity is alluring'..
    But i think ,i know..

• Kips2.0
    12 years ago

The best poems I've read are simple ones. Sometimes one just need something simple with great meaning. Something as simple as "My love for you is eternal" could touch the heart of a lover so dearly.

90% or more of the poems I write are in simple grammars and vocabularies.

Keep it simple, because simple poetry can be beautiful!

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

Thanks paul ,,i follow the same rules while writing ...

• Kips2.0
    12 years ago

You're welcome.

• Jeremy S Farley
    12 years ago

I like alot of different styles of poetry. You can normaly tell when people are forcing big words into a peice. Short and simple poems can be great but they can also be not very well thought out. I guess it just all depends on the authors writing style. I do hate stumbling through works that you have to have a masters in literature to understand though.

• John Dlyan Boone BABY
    12 years ago

All poetry is beautiful

• Paul Gondwe
    12 years ago

I think simple poetry is the best..I just dont see why complicated words are beautiful. I mean, why do i have to check the dictionary while am reading something.

• average thoughts
    12 years ago

Thanx, this is d ans i ws luking for

• Maple Tree
    12 years ago

I love all forms of poetry. Simple. elegant and deeply heart felt pieces are wonderful to read... however I have my moods when I can read a deep worded poem that makes me think and allows my brain to scream with happiness!

Everyone has their own tastes... I prefer to write in all forms, depends on my mood.

• BearAnon
    12 years ago

Emphasis: Look at the mighty haiku - one of the most famous and profound poetic forms of all time. A master of the haiku can say everything without saying anything. Poetic meditation.

I have made some serious stabs at haiku lately and I will say that they have turned out more profound than most poems that I have written in the past.

• Paul Gondwe
    12 years ago

Check out some of my poems, am all bout simple poetry

• victor dyck
    12 years ago

Complexityandprofoundnessareas importantassiimple
    Youareabeautiffllgirrl

• victor dyck
    12 years ago

Provisionally poetry isbeautifull

• Tillra
    12 years ago

Simple poetry can very well be beautiful.
    Just look at Yeats.

Wine comes in at the mouth And love comes in at the eye;
    That's all we shall know for truth
    Before we grow old and die.
    I lift the glass to my mouth,
    I look at you, and sigh.

• Kitty Kurse
    12 years ago

Simple poetry is amazing and defined, as well as put into a small amount of words, but they really have no more value then poetry that is written with more words.

• Mello193
    11 years ago

I think simple poetry can be tricky. it might leave little room to fully explain what one goes for. and with longer poetry it can maybe overshadow the point. simple poetry is awesome if its done right. some people need to elaborate on some and others need to make it shorter. it all depends on the piece

• Vincent
    11 years ago

Its the only way I can write, call me a country boy"
    sometime I find myself wanting to say to much, I keep it simple but at times it gets to wordy..guess I`m spose to share here...lol

Arrive:

Days mean nothing without her
    nothing is easy to let go.
    Voices echo in the ruins
    fate has not brought her near..
    standing bare beneath
    waterfalls, and heartache,
    letting night have its way.

© Copyright 2012 Vincent

"question my abilities..never my heart"

• Amy
    11 years ago

I like simple poetry here is a poem of mine...

The dark hair of hers,
    Covered the emotion.
    She wanted to cry,
    After all the devotion.

Her life's work down the drain,
    She couldn't believe it.
    All the suffering and pain,
    How will she manage?

It was all up to her to fix it,
    She was the only one.
    She has to start from scratch,
    She needs help but what can she do?

Her work and pain,
    Down the drain.

What you think?
    But I suppose different people like simple poetry and others like more wordy poems

• kate
    11 years ago

I think the same thing i want it to be simple and understandable

• kate
    11 years ago

All poetry is beautiful no matter how difficult or complicated the words can be.

• Yrem Crish
    11 years ago

Yeah, I agree with that..I prefer simple poetry too and I like writing freelance..for me it is a simple way to express your thoughts and ideas:0

• Jhierren Paz
    11 years ago

Of course yes! It does, think about it: everything has began in being a simple little things yet only few realized it. Other says that it was simple easy to understand. What I always said to them is: "I remained simple as I can so that it would be easier to understand." For me it's better to be simple than to be complicated. Simple things are easier to understand, however I kept on wondering and telling myself that if I could just have the chance to choose the way I live I will choose a simple life. And I thought of this, I would rather live the life before where there is simplicity and not looking for any requirements except for being with a simple lifestyle.