Are you An Intellectually or Emotionally Based Poet???

• Robert Gardiner
    12 years ago

Are you An Intellectually or Emotionally Based Poet???

What kind of Poet are you? Do you lean more to writing from your Intellect or your Emotions? Which of the two is more your focal point. Are you looking to have emotion spill on and off the page, or to write more using your mind (Intellect) and to craft a work of art? Would you say you're more Intellectually or Emotionally Driven when writing?

Me, I'm more Intellectually Driven. I'm not looking to burst with emotion onto the page, but rather to express my Idea, Theme, or the Specific Emotion driving the write (behind it). My first and overall objective is to write a really good piece (poem). I want to be as Artful and Eloquent as I can, to create Beauty and induce Fervor - per my poems intent, to use my words and poetic ability to accomplish my and the poems specific goal, objective. When I'm writing a poem, I'd rather control my emotions, rather than have my emotions control me. I'm looking to more write a well written piece, with emotion (feeling) in and or behind it and not just a poem swelled in and out pouring with emotion.

• abracadabra
    12 years ago

Good poetry needs a balance of both. It needs to come from something real- this doesn't mean that the work cannot be fictitious- but the original feeling should be something real, and strive for something beyond real. Emotion is important at the reader's end as well. Poetry needs emotion- it is the human condition.

However, yes, raw emotion alone is not what poetry is for. That's what your diary is for. Poetry usually does need quite a bit of skill and abstract thinking to unravel that knot of emotion into something effective.

I've just read your profile and a few poems, Robert. I have to say your carnality appears to be trumping both intellect and emotion in your work.

• Paul Gondwe
    12 years ago

I am more of an intellectual poet..though i use my emotions sumtyms...

• ilovered
    12 years ago

I can say that i am emotionally based poet coz i can write poem every time i feel sad or depress and i use it as my coping mechanism but ofcourse u can't write something if u will not use your intellect. So both must be balance, and you can appreciate more the poem if its based on your experience..

• Lofallenve
    12 years ago

A lot of time my are emotion based. (:

• xoxShorteexox
    12 years ago

I believe that I'm both because behind my poems is emotion, but there's usually a hidden message if that makes sense. Some people don't see the psychological meaning beneath the words; they just take it for exactly what it says. I also think I cater to the types of things I believe some people can relate to or might want to read.

• Britt
    12 years ago

I agree with what Abby said. Someone could write a poem full of emotions, but the grammar, delivery, function, placement etc could be terrible. That being said, if there was a poem written that had all the proper writing techniques perfected, but had no depth or emotion to it, I wouldn't be able to really get into it. Poetry needs a healthy dose of both.

• John Dlyan Boone BABY
    12 years ago

I agree i Go with both i use the words that fit into the way i feel and then i also fill some parts in with the heart so its normally a great poem for with all in it it just screams out read me

• Emmanuel Pineda
    12 years ago

I am more of a story teller, so I would have to say I am more intellectual.

• Dark
    12 years ago

Im more on emotional :D i love writing how i feel .. although i dont include it on my poems but i want the readers to feel what i feel

• Emily
    12 years ago

I don't really now. XD It's burst of the moment that helps me write, but sometimes, it is a well thought out plan.
    Most of the time, I am emotionally based, I believe.

• Mello193
    12 years ago

Id say i am an emotionally based poet

• Amy
    11 years ago

I myself balance out both emotion and intellectual way of writing a poem. I sometimes use more of emotion that intellect or the other way around but I like to use them both.

Seems to me most people do that in there poetry sometimes more emotion than intellect or more intellect than emotion. But no matter what they write, both the feeling and thoughts come out into words.

• Baby Rainbow
    11 years ago

Emotions. good question.

• Sunshyne
    11 years ago

I am more of a emotionally driven writer. Is that okay?

• ArtistrySoul
    11 years ago

Most of the time its emotions but sometimes there are intellectual based stanzas as well acknowledged in the poems

• Kylead
    11 years ago

Well i think you can be intellectual poet but even in my case with some of my work even the fake stuff i as driven or inspired to write it by some emotion

• Goran Rahim
    11 years ago

No matter what is your knowledge of poetry, if there is no emotions no one can write a good poem.

• Yrem Crish
    11 years ago

I used to write based on my emotion

• Jad
    11 years ago

I wrote mostly on my emotional side, but I have noticed in order to make my poetry more well-rounded I have to be a bit more intellectual. It adds maturity to my writing, which is what I am wanting to do as I grow as a poet.

• Silent Scribbler
    11 years ago

Emotion based for sure.

• ah satan 666
    11 years ago

Emotion based

• Kevin
    11 years ago

Emotions have to kickstart and fuel the birth of the poem in my head, but once I get the urge to write it my mind takes over.

• ddavidd
    11 years ago

On the contrary I write poetry when I am out of my mind.

• Autuumnbree
    11 years ago

I am a emotional base poet... Only when my emotions are touched my pen can bleed.

• La Reina De Corazones
    11 years ago

Emotionally based poet! :)

• Let It Be
    11 years ago

Emotionaly although my poetry is deeply rooted in my immagination

• The Poet Behind The Poems
    11 years ago

Every poet/poetess has both in my eyes

To get the power across I use emotions
    For metaphors and twist I use intellect
    Every poem I write have a little bit of me
    Init I believe every poet does but we all
    But our self in the shoes of our topic

Only my opinion like :)

• Terrin
    11 years ago

Yes i think i am. I put my heart soul and pain in them...

• Skyler
    11 years ago

I feel that my emotion is driven by my intellect. There is so much to know, so much to express, so much to discern, that I cannot help it when I am moved to put it into words.