Why noone does EPIC poems?

• Lee
    12 years ago

Being new to PnQ I Havent been able to read as many poems as I would have liked... But i was just wondering why noone seems to write EPIC poems like illiad & odyssey, it seems unfortunate to me that no-one seems to have the time to read them.

removed the shameless advertising =D

If you feel like reading a long drawn out effort, mine is called "emperors way" , I have written 2 out of the 32 acts !!!!! just 30 more to go!!!!!

Back to the point in hand... are there any REALLY long poems around PnQ? I would dearly enjoy reading them..

Thanks in advance =D

• nouriguess
    12 years ago

If you want to read EPIC poems, you have to check out Sir Larry's old work, he has got many long poems that were seriously well-written, I'm a big big big fan of his writings. His name is:

Larry Chamberlin The Godfather

(I'm too lazy to copy for you the link, haha!!)

Congratulations on your attempts! :D I have read some of your poems, and I seem to like them. ;)

• Jeremy S Farley
    12 years ago

I was wondering that myself. I love long poems that tell stories but alot of people dont seem to like works more than a few stanzas long. Im working on a couple myself. Ill be posting Mother Grum part 1 soon. I read acts 1 and 2. Love it

• Britt
    12 years ago

I like long poems but they have to be interesting. A lot of people just can't write long poetry and stay interesting anymore, at least not the ones I see. Plus a lot of people have gone out of that phase. You see spurts of it.

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

I think the reason for that is that our lives now are different from our people's lives before. One; we speak differently. Two; less tales are told, and more real stories, or something with reality. Three; people write about experiences and Epic poems are mostly stated in the past medieval times, and we know less about it than before. I think to write an Epic poem nowadays will be like writing a modern day fairytale, or a novel in verse. I think now that you mentioned it I'd like to try it - with a twist of course, like I said, a modernized fairytale.

I think the closest I've written to an Epic is my poem "Vestal Virgin", it's not in acts, it's one poem though.

BTW, nice attempts, I like your style. :)

• Jordan
    12 years ago

I'd like to try some day. My 'Tuning Fork' poems were my first real stab at it. Although they do not have a well formed plot, they do have a few central themes which might make them intriguing to those who enjoy long poems.

I think the big thing is that people don't have the time or patience to write epic poetry. That and I think it takes someone highly skilled to keep a poem going on for so long without losing interest in it themself.

• Britt
    12 years ago

I'm with Jordan. I know I personally couldn't write a long poem... I would get bored, feel like I'm either not holding interest or not able to write about the same thing. It might spiderweb in a lot of different ways and probably not make sense. lol.

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

I would love to read these epic poems, but you're right they are hard to find. And I attempted to write some myself, but being new to writing, that didn't go too well. Sorry I can't be too much help but try

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/author.html?id=350419

He has a few on the same track as EPIC poems. Maybe this will help, sorry

• tzesiangrose
    12 years ago

Those are pretty rare, you will bounce across to read one one day. There is one written by me before I join here:

http://www.voicesnet.org/displayonepoem.aspx?poemid=212557

• Mello193
    11 years ago

Sorry but what is epic poetry? maybe i have written some? as for epic my ideal is to write an entire novel in the form of poems, just poems telling one long story. its hard and Ive just barely began.

• Lofallenve
    11 years ago

And isn't the proper "epic" supposed to be "Epoch" poem?

I am currently working on one. :) Called "What Comes with Night."