Writing Ideas?

• xoxShorteexox
    12 years ago

I've recently started writing poems about fairies, goddesses and angels. So I'm trying to get more ideas of what kinds of fairies, angels and goddesses I could write about. I've wrote about a Night Fairy, the Angel of Death, the Goddess of The Ocean and The Celtic Goddess of the Moon (Arianrhod.)

I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on what might add some variety to those topics. Thank you advice for all your help!

• PnQ Mod Account
    12 years ago

I was just thinking, some of the old site-wide contests have had mythological themes. One of the earlier ones had contestants pick one of the Greek "Muses," and write about them, and Nor and Mel's contest assigned types of mythology:

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=131117

I think it's kind of fun when you can write a poem about a mythological figure, and try to make them come alive as an individual. Based on the information you can find about their attributes and actions, what might some of their mannerisms be? What might they look like? How would they feel in different situations?

Additionally, it could be fun to branch out into different kinds of mythology. African, Sumerian, Egyptian, Aztec, Nordic.... there's lots to work with. Even more modern folktales could get a reworking!

-Sibyllene

• Britt
    12 years ago

Oooh I love delving into mythology. There are soo many types and stories you can write about. You should read some of Melpomene's work, she writes a lot of mythology.

• Melpomene
    12 years ago

If you're interested in Fairies you could try branch out and write about fairies on a whole.

For example you have the realm of the fairies, fairy festivals even certain plants/trees and food are associated with them. You may find it interesting that fairies are based on elements, you have your water fairies such as 'Selkie' and from Japanese mythology 'Ningyo' was said to cry pearls instead of tears. Air fairies, fire fairies and of course earth. Even flower fairies. Really the possibilities are endless on such a subject matter.

Like Sibs said all mythology is based on culture and it's expansive. If you're just beginning to find an interest in mythology I'd start with Egyptian, Greek and Roman as they have the most information on the internet though I see you've already dabbled in some mythology from other cultures too.

• xoxShorteexox
    12 years ago

Thank all three of you for the suggestions. I'll definitely looking into the websites and the cultures that you have suggested.

• ControlRobot
    12 years ago

One simple question, how are we suppose to improve our writings if people do not give us their opinions about the poetry we write?