• Angel
    12 years ago

Do you think it is right for a girl to be older than her bf no matter how far apart you are???

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

1. "Do you think it is right for a girl to be older than her bf"

Absolutely.

2. "no matter how far apart you are???"

No, not necessarily. It's said (citation needed) that girls mature emotionally more quickly than boys. For example, you can count on a 14 year old boy having the same emotional maturity as a girl who is 12.

That's a generalization, but it's something to consider. Additionally, any difference in age, gender notwithstanding, is going to be more marked the younger you are. If you are 46 and your boyfriend is 41, nobody cares. However, if you're 16 and "dating" a 13 year old, it's pretty weird.

• Angel
    12 years ago

I was just curious cause i've been asked out by guys almost 5 years younger than me and people thought it was weird and one of my exs was 6 months younger than me and people thought it was weird and now people think its weird that my bf is 3 months younger than me. it just doesnt make sense

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

Five years, definitely weird, at your age. Three months, not weird at all. People are just being goofy.

• Angel
    12 years ago

I'd rather 3 months than a year. if i was a year older i wouldnt be able to stand it. plus everyone thinks i should go out with a friend of mine who is younger but only because most of them think am a freshman haha

• Kate
    11 years ago

Age shouldnt matter.... love comes when the heart and mind is connected.... you cant keep yourself from falling in love and the age difference may just cause a problem. It doesnt matter how much older the age, just love

• Liquid Grace
    11 years ago

Age past a certain 'age' doesn't matter. But there's a reason why it's illegal in some places for men or women to be of 'adult' status and date someone who is classified as under the age of consent. Sex completely aside I truly don't think that a child can be fully mature as their 'adult' partner. I also don't think that once you hit 18 a magical line is crossed into maturity. However I do feel that an age gap like 20 old (female or male) dating a 16 year old female/male is wrong and in my mind mildly sick because it makes me wonder what that 20 year olds intentions are and why they can't seem to find someone their own age.

• sibyllene
    11 years ago

^Yup.

The older you get, the less age matters. But it's absolutely true that you're a different person at 15 than you'll be at 23, or even 18. I'm not trying to say "all 15 year olds are immature," and I know every 15 year old says "but I'm mature for my age and I've been though a lot." And yet, basic lifestyles of mid teens and early 20's are drastically different. At 16 you live with your family, go to school, may or may not have a job, may or may not drive. You're almost a grown up, but still with no real power. At 24, I know a bunch of people who are having their first or second kids, buying houses, and starting retirement funds. It's not just a matter of maturity (thought it usually is that, too), it's a matter of the life you are capable of leading and the freedom and autonomy that it's possible for you to possess.

Furthermore, an age difference across lifestyle "periods" (like teen to adult) always have some undertones of power manipulation. When it comes down to it, who gets to make the final adult decisions about the relationship? ...The one who is actually a grown up. If you are a 17 year old dating a 30 year old, there is an absolute imbalance of power. It makes me mistrust the social need of an adult who needs someone of a traditionally limited power status to fulfill them.

• Angel
    11 years ago

All these make sense. just some people at my school think its weird that my bf is younger than me. i turn 17 on teusday and justus doesnt turn 17 till august. i guess the people at my school are just weird becuase EVERYONE at my school have been telling us to go out for almost two years and now we are actually together people thinks it wierd :P high school is a pain in the butt