Shouldn't closure help?

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    12 years ago

SO, i've had several relationships go south and we never officially said "it's over" but it was just assumed and accpeted.
    This time, I got my closure. i told him there was nothing he could do, i felt nothing for him now, and that's that. We agreed we are not going to have any kind of contact, even friendly talks or anything.

I got my closure, but i feel worse about it now than i ever did during the whole blowup/ fight/ uproar.
    I lost a friend in all of this, he was a good friend. BUt now that's gone and it's just... empty.
    It's not that i miss him, or want him back, or anything like that. But, shouldn't i feel better?

• La Reina De Corazones
    12 years ago

Breaking a friendship no matter wat was it before well it just breaks a person sorry to say so no ur fine in the feeling department yeah i've had stuff like your feeling and i understand!

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

I think clean breaks are harder, but better in the long run.

It's harder because you are definitively saying "I don't want you in my life and I won't in the future." You're actively closing off all other possibilities, and it hurts to see them go, even if you're quite sure you wouldn't pursue them anyway. It seems so harsh and conclusive. However, it lets the healing begin immediately. There's no vacillating, no stretching it out over months and years, breaking open scar tissue and letting it heal again and again.

It may seem kinder at first to drag it out and try to stay friends, but it's ultimately the harder and more difficult path. It can be done, but only if you're both committed to remaining friends, and even then, I think it helps if there's a more definite break, first.

• Mello193
    11 years ago

I think closure helps. lets you understand why it ended and how. and to put a good finish on it.