Long Distance

• Kate
    11 years ago

How many of you people believe thay long distance relationships can actually work???

• Britt
    11 years ago

I think it depends on both the people in the relationship, and relationship itself. I say it goes case by case.

• Kate
    11 years ago

Then here is a situation: he lives on the west coast, I live on the east. He's... older than me. We've both been through a lot of heartbreak and pain and we we are near he makes me smile... I dont know whether feelings come before facts in this case..

• Blackstar
    11 years ago

Well I think if you care enough about each other and be patient enough it will work out eventually.

• Kate
    11 years ago

We both care a lot but he went through this stage a few weeks ago when he completely doubted us... it was hard on me and him... Actually wrote a poem about it... he means a lot to me but we both question it

• sibyllene
    11 years ago

They'd better work - I'm about to embark on a 2 year long one! Haha.... suck.

For real, though, I've been in a couple different flavors of LDR. I think I can say a few things:

1. It's easier if you've formed a relationship first, and THEN it happened to become long distance. It sucks either way, but there's definitely some awkward transition between something like an "online only" relationship and a real one. Plus, if you have an existent relationship, there's some stability to fall back on when things get choppy.

2. It helps if YOU have stability within yourself. If you're not completely sure and invested in a relationship, don't test it by going LD. In such cases, it's probably better to break it off for the time.

3. It helps if there's an end in sight. If there isn't any set plan for being in the same place in the future, then what are you doing?

• Kate
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice.... I mean I care for him and want to make sure that someone has had one good functional one

• Liquid Grace
    11 years ago

I've done it and am married to said man now :)

HOWEVER, LDR's take a lot of work and this is one of the times where communication and trust is essential.

I found that for my husband and I it helped that we were together 2 years before embarking on our 4 + year long LDR. I feel that, that based allowed us to get a solid relationship foundation. In a way to get the kinks out and overall be a bit stable.

It was really tough at first because it tested our relationship. It made us find new ways to communicate and fill the void where cuddling or even watching a show together would take 'talkings' place. We found that online gamming (not for everyone mind you) was a great way for us to have fun, laugh and keep things fresh instead of the "How was your day." *silence*.

Being in an LDR taught us to really appreciate the moments we were together. Something we sometimes forget when together all the time. We've finally been together full time for just over a year now and have been together for 7 years married for 3. We still hold fast to the fact that it's such a huge test both on the relationship and for you as an individual. It's not easy at all, but when you get through this you'll really realize when compared to LDR the small things won't bother you as much :).

It's not easy, there will be moments where you have doubt, or missing them so much that your heart breaks that you just can't hold them or have them hold you. It builds character and in my honest opinion a little bit of independence.

In the end you won't know how it will go unless you give it a chance. My best friend once told me she wouldn't date a guy because she refused to do the LDR. Luckily she listened to me when I said "You wouldn't want to miss out on your mister right because you refused to put in a bit more effort on an LDR" Funny enough she's now married to him :) She'd kick her self in the can wondering what if, if she passed up dating him because of refusing to be in an LDR.

• Kate
    11 years ago

Thanks.. I really do appreciate the advice :)

• Maria
    11 years ago

I really need help as well. I understand those few steps that make LDR work but my and my boyfriend's love story is so much more complicated. Anyone who thinks they could help me?

• Boy
    11 years ago

Depends on both people how strong they want and love another.

• Omar
    11 years ago

I think it could work.

• Omar
    11 years ago

Oh, i almost forgot. You also got to have trus because without trus, the relationship will go no where.