Hard to choose the title

• Boy
    11 years ago

Sometimes when i complete my poem. it is difficult to choose the title for me... though i have few in my mind always but very difficult to choose.. do anyone know how can i fix this problem in my mind?

any help about choosing the title...

• Baby Rainbow
    11 years ago

I am glad I am not the only one. I often struggle with the title.

The way I try to decide is... if you were to see that title, would you want to look inside?
    One or 2 powerful words stand out a lot more than a long sentence for the title. You also don't want tog give it all away in the title, leave the readers curious as to what your poem could contain.

If you have a few idea's, write them all down and see which one jumps out of the paper more, which one connects to your poems most and which gives it the most justice.

If all else fails... ask for opinions on here if you are really stuck.

• Robert Gardiner
    11 years ago

The title for me is usually the subject. What I'm writing or wrote about is the title. I pick a title that fits that.

• Decayed
    11 years ago

I have the same problem, too.
    I suck with titles.

I don't know... maybe I just see the main word or phrase in my poem and use it as a title (though sometimes, it may not speak about everything)

• Omar
    11 years ago

I know how yall feel. I suck at choose a title too.
    So this is what i do. I just pick a word form my poem and choose that as my title. Lol

• Boy
    11 years ago

So.. almost title is chose after writing the poem.. is it possible to choose a title before writing any thhing.

• Poet on the Piano
    11 years ago

I know what you mean! Like Abed said, sometimes if you have nothing you can sum up the poem with using maybe the ending line or the middle. Lately I've been doing one or two word titles, so you can pick these really strong word that conveys a lot of feeling.

I used to write down a title and then write the poem based off that because I have a phrase in my mind for a title, or something just caught my eye. I also like tying the title in at the end of the poem, or at least the full idea coming to a close there.

• Robert Gardiner
    11 years ago

Yes, to answer the question it possible to choose a title before writing any thhing. You can write from the title.

• Lostlove1
    11 years ago

I always choose the title after the poem itself but I have never tried to write the title first...

• Decayed
    11 years ago

If there is a catchy, super title, then I guess it would be nice to write starting from that...

I have tried it a few times

• Boy
    11 years ago

Sometimes our emotions flow doesnt allow us to choose title first. because we write and write and want to express our words . and dont have time to think about title before writing. so i always choose the title after writing the poem except acrostic. everyone is different.

• Omar
    11 years ago

Well idk, i never try to do that. But i will

• Darren
    11 years ago

I have done both, I have thought of a title then wrote a poem based on it, other times I have written a poem then sat and thought 'I need a title'
    I try and pick one that sums up the poem,
    Or I will use a few words from the final line.

• Boy
    11 years ago

Sometimes i choose for the theme. sometimes i choose from the mid. or sometimes but it takes alot of time to think for me about title.

• Rusheena
    11 years ago

I have the same problem. Some days I get the idea from a title before I even write the poem, and sometimes, I have to change the title over 5 times. I like to get my ideas from the meaning of my poem, and it works, for the most part.

• Amreen
    11 years ago

Either ways work... in case of choosing it after writing the poem, u could keep.it short and at times interesting ones which catch attention...:)

• Nema
    11 years ago

I used to write the poem based on a title actually. And then I wrote poems inspired by a title in my mind, but I already had an idea. Now, now I just vent and then choose the title from the last lines, since they're usually the climax of the poem.

• Boy
    11 years ago

The people who write the poem based on the title other than event poems are amazing people.

• Nema
    11 years ago

Thank you =) So now I'm not amazing anymore? Haha :D

• Boy
    11 years ago

Hahaha. lol.. maybe you are. find your inner beauty. you are a good writer.

• Autuumnbree
    11 years ago

I think its best to write your poem then give it a title. I find that this works well, because I know the context and I usually base my title on the details of my poem.

• Boy
    11 years ago

Yeh. its best.. but do you choose the title any word from your poem or something different.

• jillianlove
    11 years ago

Seems to me you can call it anything... looking thru what the famous authors name their poems, it seems you can just call it Sonnet 1, 2, 3, etc.... http://www.famous-love-poems.com/ as witnessed by a lot of elizabeth browning's poems that i saw there. of course something more creative would be nice! or just take one word from the poem and call it that.

• Kylead
    11 years ago

Fair enough thats what i normally do myself or just pic a word or phrase with symbolance to whats written.