My best friend loves me, I don't feel the same way?

• Maria
    11 years ago

So hi everyone.
    This has been bothering me for a while and I haven't really told anyone because the only person I would tell, is my best guy friend, the boy that loves me. We met on-line back in March 2011 and we have been talking non-stop since then. He has been here for me through thick and thin and he's the one who's always here no matter what. I do have a best friend in real life but I trust this guy as much. I got in a relationship in July 2011 and my bf would always break up with me and come back later but we finally broke up like 10 days ago. Before that, my friend admitted he loves me in a different way than I love him and that he couldn't keep it to himself anymore. My world fell apart because honestly, I hadn't realized he had fallen in love with me and I remembered how I told him everything about me and my boyfriend and realized how much I have hurt him. He said he needed some time on his own and that we shouldn't talk for a while because being friend zoned by the one you love and have done anything for is really painful and I felt like I was losing him. I cried so much that day that I Felt so weak I couldn't even stand on my feet.
    My question is, what should I do with him? He is the best guy ever and I feel bad that I can't just tell him I love him back the same way he loves me. I feel like I don't deserve him at all even though he insists I should be treated like a princess because I'm ''amazing''. He wants to visit me so badly, and I want it as much and I'm sure that if he does come and I still don't feel the same way he won't push me into doing something I don't want to do. I have explained how I feel and how confused I am (recently broke up with my first love) and he understands and waits for me.
    Sometimes, I feel so disgusted with myself for this that I want to stop talking him. But that would crush me. I know what he's going through because I've been there before and I don't want him to hurt as much as it hurt in my case.
    But I don't want to lose him either. What am I doing?
    Please help..

• Kate
    11 years ago

The problem is what your relationship with him is. You've been caught up in the relationship with your first love that you havent noticed any of the obvious signs your friend has been giving out. Since you've been in a relationship, you havent been worried about making more than a friendly connection with your friend.
    He sounds like a really good guy and just be careful when it comes to online guys. My advice to you is spend time looking at him like he does you. Try putting some effort into building more than a friendship with him. But dont let him see that you are thinking like that. Keep talking to him. It may hurt him but what you should know that in the long run, if you do realize that you have hidden feelings for him, then you guys will work out.
    If that fails, you need to let him down easy. This guy isnt going anywhere. He really cares about you and will stick by your side. He hasnt come this far for nothing.
    Give it a chance, look at it from a different angle and go from there. :)

• Maria
    11 years ago

We already have a kind of intimate relationship and we do talk about sexual things or stuff a couple would do. We have so much in common to discuss and we're looking for the same things in our partner. That's why I feel more comfortable with him than with anyone else, because I know he understands and he won't judge me. I just don't know how to feel. I feel the love and I don't doubt his feelings for me. Seriously. His love seems just enough for both of us. I feel like I'm a terrible person and I get mad at myself for not being able to tell him I love you too and mean it the way he does. Every morning, he'll greet me with a ''heyhey beautiful'' and wish me goodnight with a ''I love you'' and I say it back but he always points out ''yeah but not the way I do..'' it's awful.
    I really do think there might be a chance I'll see him in a different way when he comes.

• Kate
    11 years ago

Ok so I seriously neglected to check this so tell me how things are going. Have you fallen for him? Are you guys still talking? Tell me everything. I wanna help :)

• Autuumnbree
    11 years ago

I don't know your friend Maria but I agree with the comment above be careful because people are much different in person than online. I hope the best for you two and that your both are happy no matter what decision is made.

• Maria
    11 years ago

Sorry guys for not replying earlier either. I didn't see this...
    Thank you for caring. Let me tell you what's been going on.

My ex boyfriend came back running to me, apologizing for all he's done, swearing to me that he loves me but I didn't feel anything, I felt absolutely nothing plus I stopped missing him. I guess that is good.

No, I haven't developed feelings for my best friend though we are closer than we've ever been. I love him, I really do. Thinking he might leave or I may lose him making mistakes breaks my heart. Occasionally, I think about me and him cuddling, kissing, hugging and doing all the things I would do with a boyfriend but I just don't know. I don't feel the way I felt with my ex, that spark and the butterflies and the anticipation to see him online and such. The best way I can put it is that I have these thoughts because I'm lonely and he's the only one who actually loves me so I just picture us being together. I do not want to get his hopes up high and end up hurting him. I am so confused.