Should I have left?

• DeathsRose
    11 years ago

My husband and I went over to his parent's house after work Friday. His sister and father got into a big fight and I decided to leave rather than be apart of it. I told my husband I was leaving. His father then said to him "If your wife leaves it's only right that you leave with her and I know she'd do the same for you. You two need to stick together now that you're married." The next day when his sister called me she asked me why we BOTH left as she only heard me say I wanted to leave. I told her the whole conversation between me and her father and she called both him and I nuts. She said that if I wanted to leave I should have, but not expected my husband to leave with me because that was being selfish and how she would never do that to her fiance. If he wanted to leave and she did not she would just let him leave without her until she was ready to go. Do you think my thinking (and his father's) was being selfish or do you think his sister was?

• Dark Secrets
    11 years ago

I think you were right and so was your husband. It has nothing to do with you both and I think his sister called you because she was still angry and decided to lash out on you. After a while she'll calm down and may even apologize.

When two people are fighting it's only natural for people who are not involved to either calm them down or leave. I don't think you could calm them down, and it is basically none of your business to medal, but your husband could of but didn't because as it seems he didn't feel like putting himself in that situation either.

• Twiggy
    11 years ago

You were right to leave. His father was right to suggest your husband leave with you. And your husband was right to support your decision to leave, as well as listen to his father. Pretty nice husband if you ask me! Sounds like his sister was desperate for some team players and your husband might have been her only possible member. His leaving with you shows his disapproval of her arguing with their dad.

Don't sweat it. You didn't force your husband to leave with you. He knows that, and so do you

• DeathsRose
    11 years ago

My husband said he'll always support me if I want to leave despite what his sister may think. And although things have calmed down she still hasn't apologised

• Autuumnbree
    11 years ago

I think that you two were right for leaving it's never good to stay when people are arguing and fighting because things can escalate and normally the people not involve gets hurt.

• Brii
    11 years ago

Definately not your fault. shes selfish.. not you. married couples should always have each others back... no matter what. the father did a great thing in saying your husband should leave too.

• silvershoes
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what's going on with his sister, but all the fighting must be due to something... Is she ok? You might want to try to reach out to her and figure out what's going on.

Or not.

You were in the right, as was your husband. Don't feel guilty.