Interracial dating

• Aveena
    11 years ago

I am just wondering what are your opinions on interracial dating? I mean I am Indian currently with a African American guy. My friends are kind of wondering what is going through my head, as they don't find it acceptable, nor would my parents. But, isn't what matters, is how we feel, and if we are happy together?

• Beauty In The Breaking
    11 years ago

Personally I have never seen nor understood what the big deal about interracial relationships is. Sure, you'll both come from different backgrounds, cultures, beliefs and such, and it can make the relationship more challenging but that's about it. There is no difference in the persons core just because of a different skin coloring. But then I have always seen everyone equally and the same, no matter their ethic background and skin color.

My family and many of my friends are the same as yours and see it as wrong, many of my family hate that my boyfriend is a different coloring of skin than I am but like you said, in the end all that matters is that you both are happy together and respect your relationship.

My aunt (who is an outcast of my family as well for having children with a man who's a different skin color as well) always says "A person is a person, same as you and me, no matter their skin" and it's true. To someone who was blind or even just color blind, would they be able to tell the difference? Love is blind and should be like that.

Happiness and good luck to you both always and always follow your heart no matter what people say :)

• sibyllene
    11 years ago

Out of curiosity, would your friends have had a problem if you started dating a white guy?

• Aveena
    11 years ago

@Miss - that was well put when you said "To someone who was blind or even just color blind, would they be able to tell the difference? Love is blind and should be like that. "

@siby- yes they would, and so would my parents, well my parents wouldn't mind that much ^.^

• Autuumnbree
    11 years ago

I personally think that love is based upon the feelings between two individuals and nothing more.

• Janis
    11 years ago

I don`t think skin color or any other kind of appearance matters much, hell you could go loving girl if that made you happy. What truly matters is only feelings and that you make each other happy.

• AngelicDecadence
    11 years ago

Well when you're dating you have to take a lot of things into consideration that has to do with compatibility (wants, goals, intelligence, sense of humor, culture, religion, family values, etc.), so it's not all about how you feel - you have to think a bit logically too.

On the other hand, if the only problem my family saw with my boyfriend was the color of his skin, I would feel that while I love them and want them to be supportive of me, I was going to make my own decisions. It's your life after-all.

My father is like that. It's come to a point where I've told him that I will respect his wishes while I'm living under his roof, but from that point forward, someones skin tone will not even enter my mind. He now has the choice to love and accept me and my future husband, or miss out on a lot of his daughters life over something as petty as the amount of melanin in someones skin.

• Aveena
    11 years ago

You are right, but I feel if I tell my parents that I would technically be disrespecting them, and that something I don't want to do..

• silvershoes
    11 years ago

I'm not going to say I don't have any implicit racial prejudices, but I have none that I'm consciously aware of and struggling with. I don't see the problem with interracial dating. I don't see why it's even a "thing" worth discussing. People are people- are we not over superficiality of skin color yet? I understand being aware of cultural differences that sometimes match differences in physical appearance, but if you mesh well with an individual, what else matters? Nothing.

I've been in relationships with so many different "races" (I hate using that word like it's anything other than a social construct with subjective meaning), but I don't give interracial dating much thought.

I was at the gym yesterday checking out a few good-looking guys, pointing them out to my friends. One of my girlfriends commented on how I seemed to check out members of every single "race." If she hadn't made the observation, I wouldn't have been aware of it...

Worry that your friends and family are prejudiced and that can be damaging to others and themselves. Don't worry about if they're right in having those prejudices. They're not.

• average thoughts
    11 years ago

I agree..interacial dating is healthy..coz love is al abt trust and hapines.
    Nt abt colour and creed.

• Let It Be
    11 years ago

I dont think color will ever matter cause color dont affect the personality some it does because of culture but i dont think it happens. I am white and my boyfriend is mexican but my dad doesnt care as long as its love and he takes care of me

• Natasha
    11 years ago

True that. I myself, currently having the same issues. Some people in here kinda thought I was outta my mind since I'm Malaysian, or Asian, and I'm a Muslim. While this guy I'm currently in love with, is white. He's baptized, and our ethnicity and lifestyles is completely different from each other. I used to fight with myself to not pursue on doing this thing, cause in end, if it isn't going to work out, I'm the one who's gonna be dwelling in sadness like hell! But now, times flies, things changes, we're still together for a year now, although we haven't really met. But yeah, whatever other people say against you two isn't going to affect anything if both of you has the same feeling deep down inside, the same mindset, of wanting to be together forever ~

• Darien
    11 years ago

I must be colour-blind.. everyone looks like the same colour to me.

• Eldah Viljoen
    11 years ago

Everyone said we will never make it past 3 months but when we did they said we will not make 6. Now here we are at 23 months and we are still doing very well. Our parents never fought us on the subject in fact they think we should get married. Interracial dating is not a problem but soociety just likes coming up with rules that more or less dictate how we should live our lives. I for one feel views for topics like these should be likened to our differences in favourite fruits. You like it for what it tastes like to you not to another person so you cannot go around stopping people from eating apples just because you do not enjoy them.

• A F
    11 years ago

It's fine. Totally fine.