My thoughts about poetry

• Ramondo
    10 years ago

Poerty in my opinion is that it's another way you can express your feelings and tell life lessons about things so that people can sit and sede things the way you do and can understand where your coming from.But poetry is more then making each line rhyme and all of it making since but all the lines in the poems have it's own meaning and relate to the story a little.

• Poet on the Piano
    10 years ago

Right, good thoughts you're sharing here and I agree, there are a variety of styles of poetry- so it should never be defined by how well it rhymes, etc....because I know I choose free verse over rhyme most of the time.

True about the life lessons. Poetry gives angles and ideas I probably never would have ever came across or thought about, and that's because the poet is sharing a perspective that is unique to his/her own character.

I also think poetry can tell a story, whether it legitimately has characters and a plot or it gives a little window into a few people who the poet has created...

• Bonaventure Onuabuchi
    10 years ago

Yeah! I goes with the thought that poeltry is nothing more, nothing less than just a medium or platform on which a poet stands to express his/her thoughts and feelings to the feeling of the readers.

• Bridgitte
    10 years ago

Poetry is a way to express your feelings and share with everyone that they are not alone and that there are others who understand and whom can relate and even help make new friends.

• Tim
    10 years ago

I would too have to agree with you. Poetry is really a medium for expressing your thoughts and feelings. A way to get out the things that you may have difficulty expressing in other forms of communication. - I for one mostly feel a lot better once I've written a piece. Taken something from within me, that was somewhat scattered and unorganized, and turned it into something beautiful to be shared and be proud of.

• JaM
    10 years ago

@ Poet on the Piano

I find it interesting that I've come across this post. I've personally been finding I'm having an issue with my poetry, in the sense that growing up - I thought poetry HAD to rhyme. Upon coming to this site, I have become of aware of so much more and the several different types of poetry.

I have wanted to branch out lately, but have been finding it hard to understand the free verse or write it. Which bothers me. I notice that the strongest pieces, aren't the ones that are being forced so that they rhyme.

I also like that you touch base on how poetry can tell a story, cause I come across some that are written and to me, it just feels like someone is ranting/venting. That, (to me) doesn't feel like poetry (though my idea of it changes with each poem I read) and would certainly appreciate some advice on that, if you've any to give. If not, that's definitely okay as well, I'm doing my best to figure it out :)