How to be come a great poet ?

• Sherwin Talapian
    10 years ago

Just wanted to know how to be come a great poet ? any tips for me please ???

• Lemon
    10 years ago

Just keep writing :). Try and get feedback on your poems and bear it in mind for future writes. Do you constantly receive constructive criticism on certain points? If so, see what you can do to change them. At the same time, find out your strengths in poetry. Are you great at rhyme? Can you write fantastic descriptions? Try to use them to your advantage. I find that reading other people's poetry is a MASSIVE help, it can give you ideas that you can use in your own poetry.

Finally, I know this sounds cheesy, but enjoy what you write. Feel the connection to your poems. It will show!

Good luck :)

• Sherwin Talapian
    10 years ago

Thanks sir... :)

• Narph
    10 years ago

Read professional poetry often and spend time analyzing which lines and choices are most impressive to you.
    Try Robert Frost, Margaret Atwood, Maya Angelou, Pablo Neruda, Naomi Shihab Nye or Walt Whitman (just to start you off)... watch videos online of spoken word competitions and read poems from your peers online. Always think about which lines you like, what resonates with you, and start to critique, too. If it was your poem, what would you change? Keep lists of words you like, phrases that pop into your mind, poetic or interesting things that happen to you... All of this studying, that's how people improve. Surround yourself with poetry you like and your poetry will morph to that style. :)

• ddavidd
    10 years ago

The first condition of becoming a great poet is talent. Then hard work dedication and mentoring.
    There is no alchemy in Art: one can not turn copper to gold by magic. First see if poetry is our forte then actually the rest unfold by itself. If not mine for your gold somewhere else. But believe me there is a mine specially for you who love poetry this much

• Darren
    10 years ago

Believe in your ability and keep going

read poetry (tons of it)
    don't become shackled by rules and regs (leave that for the novel writers)

Punctuation is a trespasser when it comes to poetry,
    (that is my humble opinion)

If you do find out how?
    share your secret with me...