How do you think of title for your poems?

• Mahal Ko Kuya Ko
    8 years ago

Take this poem as an example, the title is somehow used as the ending...

And I Raised My Hand in Return

Every morning for two weeks on my walk into the village
    I would see the young goat on the grassy slope above the stream.
    It belonged to the Gypsies who lived in the plaza below the castle.
    One day on my walk back to the mill house I saw the little goat
    hanging from a tree by its hind legs, and a Gypsy was pulling
    the skin off with a pair of pliers which he waved to me in greeting.
    --Joseph Stroud

Just wanted to know how do you create titles for your poems... the title can either make or break a poem.

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

Well... depends.

Most of the times, I just pick whatever title. I mean most of my poems are just written in the moment, so I just do the same, I pick whatever the title comes to mind at the moment. However, there are other poems that I spend time writing, like for instance "The Bluebird" ---> I picked "the Bluebird" as the title due to wanting to denote symbolism within the poem, but also because that's where I wanted the visual to be located at.

• Britt
    8 years ago

I really like how the title is in reference to the last line -- in answer. That's creative.

The poem I just wrote, I looked for an overall theme I was really wanting to stand out and then pick a word that kind of summarizes it. I am fond of one word titles for myself. Otherwise I'm too wordy.

• Beautiful Soul
    8 years ago

Honestly for me I try to make a title that contributes to the poem in someway. A title that has meaning for the poem but does not give the whole poem away

• Robert Gardiner
    8 years ago

I usually do (come up with) the title first. The rest of the poem usually will stem from or relates to the title. so I build off that. On occasion, I write first and read it and see what it is saying (how it speaks to me). I feel, It is important that your title and what is written within your poem correlate on some level.

Here's an example of a poem I wrote without a title as a bases to work from. I wrote it to illustrate the use of repetition repeating the phrase, "I saw her today" - which if not for its lack eloquent flare could have been the title, but as a title I just didn't feel it as captivating enough, so I read through my work, to see what it was saying, (was about). As I read it and was putting on the finishing touches, the poem told me what it was about, which was a woman stirring my fantasies and beckoning, calling me to her as a Siren would through her song, a woman I had long dreamed of, in my moments of sleep and in my day dreams, so thusly, I came up with my title, because it was eloquent & captivating, and stated my poems subject;

Siren of My Dreams

I saw her today - within my minds eye.
    A memory, from last nights dream.
    I saw her, floating, from clouds on high.
    But alas, her, I could not reach.

I saw her today - with smile beaming,
    Melting, my heart's catacombs.
    Like a river, her beauty, streaming.
    Reached out for her, to discover, I was, alone.

I saw her today, beckoning me, to follow,
    Offering, pleasures, that I could only dream of.
    But -- as in her ecstasy, I began, to wallow,
    Morning came again, and I woke up.

I saw her, today, only, alas, to have her, leave me.
    But soon, I know, we shall meet again, as I lay me down, to sleep!!!

• GB
    8 years ago

^ Very beautiful, Robert.

I think titles usually inspire me and accordingly I write the rest of the poem.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

I rarely come up with the titles first. Once the poem is done the title choices run through my mind like children calling out to answer a question. I choose one that connotes at least two levels of meaning in the poem.

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

The title is always last for me, unless of course I am writing for a prompt. That's probably why I struggle with the title toss prompts we do on this site. Generally I pick one word that has the most relevance to the overall concept of the poem itself. The word might have been used in the poem, it might not have. This word becomes the title.