Poetry Prompt no.3 - Magnetic Poetry

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

Every year I travel down the coast to Jervis Bay, a coastal town surrounded by beaches, small cafes and not much else. Hungry after a morning at the beach, we found a small cafe. Once done ordering, I selected a table in the far left hand corner which was pushed right up against a wall. Sitting there I noticed that the wall was covered in words, words that had been arranged to form phrases.

After a closer inspection I realised they were magnetic and it occurred to me that anyone who entered this coffee shop was able to arrange the words however they wanted. This thought is what sparked our next poetry prompt.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen magnetic poetry before but I found a really great website that allows you to choose an Electronic Poetry Kit. Once you select a kid you are given a heap of words that can be arranged to form a poem. For this weeks prompt I have selected the 'e.e cummings' kit!

Access the website below and arrange the words to create your own poem. Once done share your poems with the rest of us.

http://www.languageisavirus.com/electronicpoetry/cummings.html#.VcrE2UtrUpE

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Love these challenges, Mel
    what makes it harder is the absence of articles and conjunctives

Colour comes crying

Sky becomes stars beyond clouds;
    another moon opens dreams
    mysteriously carrying secret power;
    silence held frail hope.

Twilight compels deeper understanding
    about fate filled experience;
    knowing intense fear grows true wonder,
    flesh imagines silent death.

Breathing soul understands worth,
    dissolves fragility between lips;
    descending afterwards sleeping heart
    houses your world forever.

e. e. cummings magnet challenge

• Poet on the Piano
    8 years ago

That sounds like a beautiful place to sit with a cup of tea and just think (or write)!

Intense -
    kissing moons,
    trembling muscles,
    understanding life... death.
    Electric eyes,
    keeping rain silent... close.
    Descending downward,
    knowing fate,
    sailing, sleeping stars.

You wonder afterwards
    about breathing beyond,
    nerves shocking twilight

(Your soul weak).

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

-- I'm glad you're enjoying them Larry!
    -- MA, it's the perfect place to be inspired, however strangely enough I never really write when I'm down the coast. I'll have to give it a go next time.

Fantastic poems!