Poetry Prompt no.5 - Vocabulary

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

In my classes I tend to do a little activity that involves expanding students vocabulary. If a student does not know what a certain word means, we look it up in a dictionary and write it on our vocab board. A lot of my students and even some of my colleagues find it strange that I spend time writing up words and definitions that aren't closely related to my subject area. However, literacy is important regardless of subject and I think it is a cop out if teachers do not approach cross curriculum learning with a positive attitude.

So here is your task. Open up a dictionary to a random word, one that you don't necessarily know the definition of. Read the definition and then write what that word means to YOU. As I am sure some of you have quite an extensive vocab bank this might be a little bit more difficult. I have provided a link with some weird and wonderful words that may help you out if you're struggling to come across a word.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/weird-and-wonderful-words

Can't wait to read!

• GB
    8 years ago

"Apocalypse", somehow this word is always connected with hell, in my own thoughts.

• Everlasting
    8 years ago

^^ the same apply to myself. I've seen to connect it with hell.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Love this post, it gave me Orrery: a working model of the solar system.

• GB
    8 years ago

It's sad a few participate in these nice threads.

The word "Nebula" as well, it's linked to oblivion in my own dictionary :)

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

Ah, don't worry too much about that GB, I'll continue to post these threads even if we don't have too many members participating. I quite like the Solace over here, it's calming after the storms in the members forum.

I always associate the word aftermath with an ending.

• Bob Shank
    8 years ago

I always associated aftermath with my next class, English...it was always after math......lmao

one of my favorite words of all time was stumbled on doing this exercise about 30 years ago, Pernicious-self destructive behavior.....I always thought my picture should have been next to the definition.....

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Don't even start on self-destructive behavior. It took me 55 years to stop doing that!

• Bob Shank
    8 years ago

Damn Larry I thought I was a slow learner....lmao

• Poet on the Piano
    8 years ago

I got "callithumpian" which reminds me of cacophony.

Sometimes noise can be chaos but that doesn't mean it should necessarily be dismissed.
    Something noisy that doesn't always sound pleasant to the ears, but it still has meaning and provides music.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Bob, my behavior was like humor dyslexia. I knew what not to say but the Dennis-the-Menace inside me blurted it out anyway, often in the most inappropriate situations. My only defense: What, can't you take a joke?
    The answer was generally, "NO!"

MA, I find your word has a double meaning. In addition to the discordant instruments it is also a "term that is used in a non-judgmental way to describe a religion or philosophy in its infancy." Wikipedia @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calathumpian
    (also spelled callithumpian).

• Bob Shank
    8 years ago

First off, you all are using too many big words and I'm starting to get offended.....lmao

• NoHopeLeft
    8 years ago

I agree with Bob. X

• Khadz replied to GB
    5 years ago

I know this words since I started to watch marvel movies and supernatural series... always relate it to the ending of world or destruction...