Few thoughts about writing Haiku.

• GB
    8 years ago

This is not an easy form at all. Everyday I learn something new related to this fascinating poetry style.
    Recently I read about something known as "Kigo" , actually I didn't take much consideration of it in the past.

"Each Haiku must contain a kigo, a season word, which indicate in which season the Haiku is set. For example, cherry blossoms indicate spring, snow indicate winter, and mosquitoes indicate summer, but the season word isn't always that obvious. "

This is a thread to share your thoughts and experience about this form, your tips/techniques might be useful for all of us.

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

I've never heard of that term before, very interesting. It's strange how I often include a 'kigo' without being conscious of doing so. I'll definitely take this in to consideration next time I attempt to pen a haiku.

A while back Larry shared a thread about this form that really changed my perspective on the form. I'll have to try and find the thread.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Regarding Haiku & how many poems are mislabeled because they are not haiku:

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=144409

Regarding my solution, devising a name for poems that are neither haiku nor senryu, yet fit the form:

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=144435

• Melpomene
    8 years ago

Thanks for sharing the links Larry!

• GB
    8 years ago

The first link didn't work, Larry. The second is very informative actually. I'm just in a hurry but I will make sure to read the second thread thoughtfully. Thank you

• Koan
    8 years ago

"Recently I read about something known as "Kigo" , actually I didn't take much consideration of it in the past"

Kigo is the heart of the Haiku....

• GB
    7 years ago

How do you classify this poem, "Haiku" or "Senryu" :

Swallowed by the sea
    hopes of the little mermaid-

Love means sacrifice.

• hiraeth
    7 years ago

I see hints of both forms, but I think Larry's syntuit is a much better fit. In lieu of that, I guess I would classify it as a Senryu.

• GB
    7 years ago

You made it harder for me. I wrote this as part of Haibun, a poetry type composed of (prose+Haiku), but seems like the reference to a human aspect is something unavoidable.

Thank you, I will see what I can do.

• Red Yoshi
    7 years ago

Haiku i believe is one of the hardest forns to writd because of the limited structure you have to work with. It's extremely difficult to detail a poem in 3 lines