About PCOS.

• GB
    8 years ago

I'm posting this as a part of my personal experince, perhaps it might convince anyone affected by this syndrome.
    I have been dealing with this for the last three years, it was a real obstacle and a source of stress.

Somehow the ob-gyn deal with this issue strictly, it's either to prescribe anti-contraceptive pills for women who are not planing to conceive, or prescribe inducing drugs (clomide for example) for those who are planing for children. this doesn't treat the problem in of itself.

During the previous months I have been reading about Metformin (Glucophage) so much. A drug used primarily for treating Type II Diabetes, how does it relate to PCOS?

Having PCOS can cause insulin resistance in 50% of affected women and ultimately it will lead to "anovulation" without treatment. If our bodies are resistant to insulin, it means we need high levels of insulin to keep our blood sugar normal, and here we can see a major role for treatment by Metformin, it will decrease the absorption of sugar, normalising blood sugar levels without affecting the function of the pancreas.

Metformin isn't licensed for treating PCOS in my country (and other countries as well including UK), that's why I was hesitant to start using it, but because there were many proven studies I decided to give it a try and actually I'm very happy by the result.

In August 2015, anovulation with very disturbed hormonal levels, Progesteron less than 0.5, LH double level of FSH
    In March 2016, after 4 months of daily 1000 mg of metformin, ovulating with Progesteron 31, LH & FSH normal value.

I'm really recommending this drug, we can relieve so much stress by just a courageous decision.

• Britt
    8 years ago

So excited you are seeing changes! This is a commonly prescribed medication here in the US for women with PCOS. I haven't gotten on it yet, have been trying a few natural remedies. I've been taking inositol daily and have seen tremendous changes in the last 3 months. Regular cycles etc. I'm excited to see what continues from this!

• GB
    8 years ago

I'm excited for you as well, Britt. :)
    Actually a Libyan-American friend living in the US and works in the field of pharmaceutical industry who could finally convince me, many sucess stories in the online forums.
    I think the inositol has less side effect than the metformin and almost safe, that's the most important part. Good luck.

• Britt
    8 years ago

Yes, there are heaps of successes! I historically react to medication the same way my sister does, and she did not have a great time on Metformin. Our bodies typically have strange reactions to medications and so I am very wary about trying new things, when I've seen her have such a struggle. Maybe placebo like, but still, haha.

Keep me posted!

• Em
    7 years ago

I hope things are looking up :)