Awards

• hiraeth
    7 years ago

Like mentioned earlier, awards were not yet implemented on the site (in addition to the 'win' sticker on contest winners) Janis is now looking to implement it but would like to hear some ideas; do you guys want it the same old awards?

i.e
    One for how many people have you in your favourites [F award[
    One for how many poems you have [P award]
    One for how many praised comments you have [C award]
    One for how many discussion posts you've made [D award]

Or do you want some removed? Or do you want some new ones?

A HM sticker will also be implemented.

It should also be noted, because of the new site layout, the awards won't show up everywhere like it did before (you were able to see it on poets online page, and stuff) , it'll be visible only your profile page. :)

I was also thinking of having a J award, that'll be awarded to those who have judged in the past as a token of appreciation (the site wouldn't be the same without you wonderful volunteers <3).

Can you guys think any more? Something you want removed?

Also what about praised comments? Keep praised comments or allow voting on it (i.e like/dislike on it and so that top rated ones automatically rise to the top of comment). Something else?

• Darren
    7 years ago

Why don't we score poems out of 5, 1 being terrible and 5 being poet laureate level. But only have a 5 button to save down voting anyone.

Joking of course.

The J button sounds great will these be backdated or will I have to volunteer my services again sometime in the future to get one?

• hiraeth replied to Darren
    7 years ago

Lol, great idea :p

I'm hoping the judges will be able to award it manually, so that we can go ahead and backdate it, otherwise if it's automated, you'll have to volunteer. I just threw that idea out there, and it depends on how it'll be implemented.

• BlueJay
    7 years ago

I definitely like the idea of a judge award or notification.

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

When Chelsey first suggested that Judge award 3 years ago none of us thought it would ever happen, but Jane got us to put it on our wish list. Janis is good with it, same as with the HM designation for poems, but it needs to be fleshed out:

1) what criteria for the stages
    2) can it be done retroactively?
    3) how to devise it so the site does it automatically

We've pretty much got our ideas about 1 & 3 but want your feedback & even shredding the concept if you think of a better plan.

Suggestions so far:
    Bronze judged 1 full term
    Silver judged 2-3 full terms
    Gold judged 4-5 full terms
    Platinum judged 6+ full terms

The judges award would be Earned & posted After they step down. Currently we have 4 month terms. If a judge steps down in less than 3 months it should not be awarded. If a judge carries on past the full term, the site counts the 4 month mark as a recycle point.
    For example
    Judge A serves for 2 months & quits judging = no award
    Judge B serves for 3 1/2 months & quits = 1 award
    Judge C serves 4 months and is replaced by new judge = 1 award
    Judge D serves 4 months and continues to judge in next term = 1 award + recycled toward 2nd award

• Colm replied to Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

I like the idea of getting a judging badge as it is suggested.

I don't see any need for a HM designation.

• Mr. Darcy replied to Colm
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

implementing a HM sticker will add value to a judge/s decision to single out a poem amongst the other nominated poems that week. That in itself is worth an sticker in my mind. Edit - not to mention the value to the winner of this.

• Ben Pickard replied to Mr. Darcy
    7 years ago

^^

I agree

• Colm replied to Mr. Darcy
    7 years ago

I can see where you're coming from. But personally I think there's enough value in knowing your poem was picked and commented on without having to get a sticker to prove it.

It's only a very minor thing either way.

• BlueJay
    7 years ago

They did say the HM sticker would be private, and that could be nice. I mean for people that have tons of poems it's helpful to know which pieces were well recieved by the public or friends and family here on PnQ - in case you need or want to compile them in the future for whatever reason. And that is enough value that I totally support the HM sticker.

Also, a judge badge would be nice, but at the same time I feel as though it might make it too easy to pick out judges before a term is up. And if that happens, I feel as though that takes away from some of the fun.

The awards we had as they were, though, those, I believe should come back in the same fashion they already were. But I completely understand the need to revamp them too.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

Judge badges would be awarded when a judging term is complete, not during the term.
    Oh, awards for wins could be cool rather than just having a win by each poem. Hmm.
    The awards as they were can't come back the same for a couple of reasons: there are no 1-5 votes now, so an average poem rating isn't possible. We have to change the average poem rating to # of likes. Poem comments will likely no longer be praised as they were before, but comments on poems will receive likes and senior status will be based on likes on comments instead. Also, does anyone care about the discussion board award? It served no purpose.