Easter traditions??

• Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

Hello! With this busy weekend and prep for Easter, thought I'd open a thread. Do you observe/celebrate this holiday? Any fond memories to share? Does Easter mean something different or personal to you? Please feel free to share!

We don't have extended family here in Indiana so usually it's just my parents, brother and I relaxing together. I kind of miss the old days when my grandma would organize a huge Easter egg hunt for all the cousins in Maryland. This year though, I'm attending a vigil mass at the church where I sing at, which is down the road from our house. The cool thing is, a lot of families get together at our church and help out of volunteer in preparation. For example, I'm technically no longer a practicing Catholic, but am still welcome and can assist with the music. For the vigil mass, we gather outside around a bonfire and each individual lights their candle, then we process into the dark church. It's usually around three hours long as there are LOTS of passages read and verses sung (acapella). Then at a certain point, someone turns the lights on and the organ comes to life... not to mention the ringing of our bells! It's very loud in the choir loft but a bunch of fun. I may bring my camera this time and record some parts :)

Hope you all have a blessed, safe, joyous weekend... whatever you are doing!

• Hellon replied to Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago

I have six grandkids and have always bought them a flannelette shirt (fondly know here in Australia as a 'flanny') and an egg each year. As it's getting into autumn around Easter and the weather is cooling down a bit it's also a practical gift. I take a picture of them all either on the tractor or on the trailer and it's nice to see them grow over the years and new ones appearing in the picture haha!! The 5 oldest are boys so getting a flanny for them is no problem but, the youngest is a girl so it's a bit of a challenge finding one for her, normally I have to pay twice the price for hers when I do find one lol!

They normally call me Nanny Nel year round but, at Easter time I become Flanny Nel haha! Well...that's my family tradition :)

Nice post MA...I'm interested in how the others celebrate this time of year?

• abracadabra
    7 years ago

Was it hard for you to come out as a non-practicing Catholic, Maryanne?

Hellon, what do girl's flannies look like? And why?

To me, Easter means 4-day weekend and free random chocolate, thanks Christians! On Good Friday, my partner and I always visit a certain Vietnamese bakery and order their bahn mi. This is how and where we chanced to meet, hungover, on a Good Friday (the Vietnamese don't celebrate easter), 9 years ago. Our daughter turns 2 on Easter Monday.

• Maple Tree

I do not celebrate Easter.

I celebrated on March 21st. Ostara / Spring Equinox

I line up certain candles in my window sill and celebrate with meditation. I work at the homeless shelter this weekend so I'll help them serve a ham dinner and after my medication pass I'll help my folks gather eggs with goodies inside.

When my girls were little I would get them a small Crystal they would find it in the back yard, we would bless it under the moon and place it under their bed.

• Hellon replied to abracadabra
    7 years ago

A girl's flanny buttons to the left, hopefully would have some pink or purple in the check and, if lucky would have darts to make it slightly fitted. I'm not sure what you mean by...And why? Why is it different? Why do I buy them? Not sure which one you mean lol!!!

• Larry Chamberlin
    7 years ago

When I was growing up we did the whole Easter Sunrise Mass (I was an altar boy), Brunch & Easter Egg hunt. When our kids were growing up we trimmed it to the egg hunt.

Now, with the kids grown & gone & only one grandchild (3 months old), we do taxes.

• Britt
    7 years ago

Church in the morning, and then Jason and I are hosting our very first family holiday, and it's in the new home. :)

Typically I spend Easter at church and then with family at their place for dinner.. but my personal celebration is throughout all of Holy Week. This last week has been filled with breaking bread with friends, sitting in our struggles and our hurts together and sharing bits and pieces of our souls over dinner. Every holy week is different for me, and this year I was definitely called to confession and reconciliation.. a recurring theme but this time was a bit different, and hard to explain.

Easter evening Jason and I will usually read the verses that go along with this incredibly life giving day.

All of that being said, I'm excited to host tomorrow! Im expecting 33 people, and that's just one side of Jason's family lol

• Hellon

So many diverse ways of celebrating so far :)

Nothing from the poms so far I note???

• Melpomene
    7 years ago

My four year old nephew was too sick to attend his first easter parade and egg hunt this year so we had a little bit of a friendly competition on who could build the best easter hat over the long weekend. Bacon and eggs on the BBQ for a late breakfast today and just quality family time.

Tried to eat Vegemite on Good Friday, didn't realise it had beef extract in it. Suppose this is the only real tradition we have, no meat on Good Friday.

As for tradition, my mum always bought us Flannelette pyjamas for Easter. We're all a bit too old now so she continues this tradition with the grand babies.

• silvershoes

Last year, Kevin and I did an Easter egg hunt for my parents, which was pretty funny. They got into it. They're both competitive. We also made dinner-- ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, etc.

And this year, Kevin is down south with his brother, mom, and grandparents because it was also his grandma's 90th birthday on Friday. I stayed in Reno with the cats. It was my older cat's 5th birthday yesterday. I'll be planting flowers in the front yard today, doing some work on the computer, prepping dinner, then picking Kevin up at the airport this evening.
    I haven't been much interested in Easter since childhood. I'm not religious, whether Christian or Pagan, so the whole thing is a little pointless. Still, I hope you all have a very happy Easter :)

• Britt
    7 years ago

Guys.

I had 30 something people in my brand new home.

Nothing got broken. No drama happened. Everyone was fed, full, happy. My house is spotless, all dishes are done and I even gave my dog a bath after the kiddos ran him in the mud. He's happily clean on lounging on his bed, exhausted.

I didn't lose my crap one time! I didn't even get slightly annoyed...and that's shocking hahaha. I have a billion leftovers so if anyone would like to come over, I can feed you! Ha!

Hope everyone had a great day!

• Poet on the Piano

Ahh loved reading all these posts! Makes me smile through and through :)

Seriously, congrats on hosting, Britt! And no drama? Nothing broken? Girl, I'm happy for you! So awesome to hear it went well. And yes, you can fit me into your schedule to come over and haul some food back lol

Oh to answer your question, Abby: it wasn't that hard explaining to others that I wasn't a "practicing Catholic" anymore. It wasn't something I went around proclaiming to everyone at church. My friends in the choir I see weekly knew over the years I've had some doubts and we've talked through them together. Initially I did have a slight fear about disappointing... but I'd rather be true to myself than call myself something that I'm not. That would be disrespectful I feel to those who actually do believe and try their best to practice all parts of the faith. Also, my family is now more equipped to talk about others who have different beliefs as my brother came out as atheist a few years ago. It didn't shatter our family like he thought it would and sometimes he'll come to the big masses (Christmas or Easter) with us just to support us. So that's what matters to my family I think. That we still have respect no matter if our beliefs differ.

• Britt replied to Poet on the Piano
    7 years ago

MA, I highly recommend reading Out of Sorts by Sarah Bessey. I've been struggling pretty seriously with my church and this made me feel like I wasn't alone. It tells of her journey in and through the church, outside of church, and now currently back in. She's one of my favorite pastors, who's goal is to love fiercely. It's good stuff to hear a pastor speak so candidly on wanting to leave church.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Britt
    7 years ago

Thanks, Britt! Will check it out. That sounds very thought-provoking and something to help the soul.
    Sorry to hear you've been struggling. I can totally see how that would be good to hear honest thoughts and reflections from one who we may perceive may not have doubts like us. But they do.

• Darren
    6 years ago

I'm a Pom and I did er......nothing

so Hellon you were correct.

(My three kids had an egg or three though)

No celebrations, just handing over shop bought eggs (purchased the night before) As it is Easter.