USA/North Korea

• Hellon
    7 years ago

Just wondered if anyone would like to share their thoughts on this situation? I must admit, considering both leaders are a bit of a loose cannon, I'm a bit apprehensive that this will escalate into something the majority don't need or want.

• silvershoes
    7 years ago, updated 7 years ago

I agree with you, Hellon. I'm exhausted hearing excuses for Donald Trump. He's impulsive and reckless and has no idea what he's doing, but he is not self aware enough to realize it. He's incapable of genuine humility or accepting fault, but he'll occasionally feign it if it's an ends to a means. He's worse than I could've ever predicted. I don't feel silly for being worried.

• Hellon replied to silvershoes
    7 years ago

Both leaders are impulsive and reckless IMO also...putting them head to head is a nightmare waiting to happen I fear.

• PETER EDWARDS
    7 years ago

I think I'd be more worried about the North Korean leader rather than Donald Trump. Previous USA Presidents have ignored the North Korean 'issue' for years now, hoping it would go away, or that it was 'China's problem', but Trump is now doing what other Presidents have shy'd away from for years, and is tackling the problem head on. It's just a real shame that this issue was not dealt with years ago when North Korea was much less advanced than what they have become now. I just hope that their leader doesn't push the button that he so keeps threatening to do, or the world will pay the consequences for their inactivity and lack of courage for not dealing with this rogue state years ago before they acquired nuclear weapons..

• Hellon replied to PETER EDWARDS

I think I'd be more worried about the North Korean leader rather than Donald Trump. Previous USA Presidents have ignored the North Korean 'issue' for years now, hoping it would go away, or that it was 'China's problem', but Trump is now doing what other Presidents have shy'd away from for years, and is tackling the problem head on

^^^

Peter..why do you think the US (the current president of past presidents) should be the one to tackle the problem?

• silvershoes

I love reading opinions from people outside the U.S.

• Colm
    7 years ago

I cant say I know too much about the issue but these are my two (or three) cents.

Overall I don't think Trump is doing a bad job on the issue, nor do I disagree with his stance. His method of delivery is probably not helping but I don't disagree with his intentions as such.

North Korea is a ridiculously crazy place. The way they treat their citizens is appauling and I think they could genuinely launch a nuclear weapon if/when they get one. Or at least use it as a credible threat for huge leverage. The fact that so many other countries such as Japan and in particular China are coming out condemning North Korea is pretty telling that they are worried too.

I agree with the idea that the issue has largely been brushed under the carpet in the last few decades. Not a good example maybe, and I'm not saying WW3 is going to break out, but there are some parallels with the current situation and what happened in Europe in the 30s. Hitler's Nazism was allowed to grow and the Allies at the time with their policy of appeasement did nothing to prevent it, despite the clear signs of the danger that was coming. It would be a disaster if North Korea got access to nuclear weapons and the problem would become even bigger and more dangerous if/when that happens. They only this week threatened a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the USA for heaven's sake, I don't think ignoring the issue is going to help, only kick it down the road a little further.

Of course there is no easy solution. If Kim Jong Un and his regime was ousted it would be ideal, but most citizens are so indocterinated and censored, it's hard to see that happening soon. I think the solution Trump and co. are hoping for is that China will pull much of it's support for North Korea, which I think is clever because North Korea rely on China for much of it's resources. It's possibly the only way to get leverage over North Korea.

I don't like the idea of provoking North Korea or pushing them into a corner, but if I was a US citizen, I think I'd be more worried about North Korea getting access to nuclear weapons or missiles which could reach USA.

• silvershoes replied to Colm

Japan's leader, Abe, is coming out condemning North Korea and would/will likely be an ally to the U.S., but Xi Jinping of China has scorned Trump from the day he stepped into the White House and has made a public statement asking both the U.S. and North Korea to be civil and not allow pettiness to escalate into a war. The situation in North Korea is appalling, as you said, and while I don't disagree something should be done about it, to the public eye Trump is not formulating an intelligent strategy behind the scenes. He's drawing enormous negative attention to us by goading and insulting Kim Jong-Un, a man who (like Trump) is arrogant to a fault and will take ridiculous measures to protect his pride.
    As a U.S. citizen, I am definitely worried about North Korea using nuclear weapons to blow us to smithereens, or at least beginning a WWIII. I don't want to die because my President doesn't know how to conduct himself. I don't see the point to having a war of words with Kim Jong-Un.

Doesn't North Korea already have nuclear weapons?

• Larry Chamberlin replied to silvershoes
    7 years ago

North Korea has nuclear missiles but their range is limited. At this point he could strike as far away as japan (Okinawa).
    He's been denied the technology for ICBMs.
    China has less influence on North Korea than one might think given the emotional instability of its leader. China is already expending resources managing refugee settlements from North Korea.

• gumshuda
    7 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Does China not have much influence?
    I read in the economic times, that china was its most important reaource provider and trade partner.

• Lost One
    6 years ago

I've been training in S. Korea for the last 9 months. Tensions get high every other year because of the training cycle. It always dies down. As for the belittling of our president? Everyone has their own opinions. Mine is this; regardless of who won the election, N. Korea would have beat fists against their chests because of scheduled training on our parts. We are in S. Korea as an ally and a deterrent. And if something happens, we will be ready for it because of that training.