Weekly Contest Results April 24

• Meena Krish
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Good Morning Everybody! I’m not going to waste your time so let me
    just thank all the judges once again for their time and effort and congratulations
    to our front page winners: Pagan Paul, pmmurphy and nourayasmine and
    to all the HM’s!! Here are the comments.

WINNERS:

No title, just a war-filled poem by nourayasmine
    Once by Pagan Paul
    And let my pen speak by pmmurphy

No title, just a war-filled poem by nourayasmine -10 points

This poem brings the Syrian conflict to our door step. The senselessness of
    war is so well illustrated here. To exist amongst this chaos must be unbelievable,
    and to what end, what is left when the smoke dissipates and only ash is left. All
    for the greed and power of a few. A very graphic and heart wrenching poem. You are
    right in war we are not human or animal we cease to exist, all we can hope for is
    to endure
    no title, just a war-filled poem by nourayasmine - 10 points

A harsh, sobering analysis of the world today- a world wherein many people are
    viewed not by their identity, not by a name, but instead as numbers. We hear the
    names of soldiers killed at war, but not of civilians massacred or killed by bullets
    or bombs; we only hear the numbers, the death toll. The faceless, nameless,
    innumerable unknown.

“If you’re wondering who you are, I can tell you.
    You’re nothing…”

What a powerful opening series. The opening line, followed by the short two-word
    declaration, “You’re nothing.” And so many people are seen in such a light - as only
    a member of a crowd, one amongst many in a category, or not important enough to
    identify in either life or death.

This poem in its realistic- and sadly so- depiction of how many people exist in
    society today really brings the reader to understand just how fortunate some people
    can be; not everyone has luxuries, if a single luxury at all. Some have not even the
    luxury of their identity.

no title, just a war-filled poem” by Noura - 10 points

This poem speaks for itself; it’s an extremely gripping retelling of a harsh reality.
    Noura skillfully uses blunt imagery to paint you the horrors of what war entails.
    -----------------------------------------------

and let my pen speak” by pmmurphy - 7 points

This author did an amazing job at infusing their truth into poetry; the way they
    masterfully use words to masterfully draw metaphor-laden images. A lot of
    poets can relate to the author’s breath in this poem.

and let my pen speak by pmmurphy - 4 points

I was fond of the phrase title, not always do poets get lucky with such a risk.

The poem in general embraced a great flow, everything had this connection that made it very eye and ear friendly.

I believe the general theme and mood are two parts about this piece that others could easily relate to.

Well done.
    -----------------------------------------------

ONCE by Pagan Paul - 7 points

This poem, beyond its being well-written has a series of wonderful similes throughout its three stanzas and closing elliptical couplet.

A “quill… across… skin” as “raindrops on… grass”; ink like honey; “heart flirted with your love” as “bees above a flower head”. I could continue, but to digress, as I entrust others will pull the remaining trio of similes, these similes are not mismatching in their comparisons. These were clearly well-thought-out before being written. The comparisons, though some may say they are not all original, are spot-on in their comparative accuracy and that is to be appreciated.

In itself, the poem burdens the weight of longing- the poet’s remembering a time much sweeter, “once upon” they shared love with another. And how beautiful the images of the poem’s first three stanzas, and yet they fade into the past within its sad closing couplet. A very well-done piece.

ONCE by Pagan Paul - 7 points

The title was put in smartly.

I enjoyed reading this a lot. There is so much depth and emotions into it.

The wording is really touchy and the images and describitons made me frown.

I felt so much yearning at the end.
    Front worthy.

HM’s:

The big empty; or how to confront the apocalypse by Thomas
    The Room by Frank
    An Eight Wonder by Michael
    Why do we write by Lvi Joe
    The Losing Hand by Darklight
    The Fading Scent Of Petroleum by Ben Pickard

The Fading Scent Of Petroleum by Ben Pickard - 10 points

What a brilliant piece. There is so much uniqueness to this piece, starting from the title.

Very strong structure, coherent wording.

The last part was really touching.

In all it is a very personal poem, yet I bet many could find their
    way in analyzing the meaning that best touched their emotions.

Praise worthy, thanks for sharing with us.
    -----------------------------------------

The Room by Frank – 7 points
    I like the imagery here. The poem speaks for itself like
    a painting does in an exhibition. Each verse unfolds by itself
    taking the reader from one room to another without any interruption
    to the flow of the write…liked it!

The Room by Frank -4 Points

I was enchanted by this poem on first read, after the third or fourth reading I knew it was in my top three.
    In your previous comments painting and surreal were mentioned, surreal is what jumps out at me, an old
    worldly painting almost, capturing moments forever that a photo never could. I like that you have inserted yourself
    within this image in the third stanza but what won me over the most is the seductive last stanza, it hit me between
    the eyes. Great finish to great read.
    -------------------------------------------

An Eight Wonder by Michael – 10 points

This is simply beautiful and the language is so elegantly
    placed to form this poem. Liked the usage of words and the
    way it combines words of poetry and nature together…it gives
    a magical feel to this write…lovely!
    --------------------------------------------------
    The Losing Hand by Darklight – 4 points

There is much to this poem! A sadness linger within each
    line and it speaks more then what is penned. Memories are
    supposed to bring comfort and smiles but in this it brings pain
    along too…with a touch of innocence….touching write.

The losing hand” by Darklight (4 pts)

I’d be lying if I said this poem is not stuck in my head; it’s riveting. It flows well
    and the slight rhymes works wonders in this poem. All of my picks for this week
    were tied, it took me a while to figure out which votes to assign for each poem; the
    competition this week was fierce. That being said, I really do quite enjoy this piece;
    I can definitely picture it being someone’s mantra, or someone making a calligraphy
    print of this and hanging it in their home.

-------------------------------------------

Why do we write? by Lvi Joe -4 points

Ah, such a difficult question to answer, but so well approached in this poem. This
    piece is an interesting read in its interrogative examination of what brings people to
    write.

“Is it a lingering desire
    or a nagging necessity?”

The finishing alliteration is quite nice here, a simple, but well-placed device within
    the first stanza, and a devilish query - do we write for want or for need? Can such
    a question even truly be answered? This is yet to be seen, or known, I suppose.

The quizzical nature of the poem in its ambling inquiries, its seeking to understand
    the compulsion behind a person’s writing, makes it both a fascinating read and
    a quality poem.

-----------------------------------------

The big empty; or how to confront the apocalypse by Thomas -7 points

A hugely descriptive poem full of relatable imagery. You had me walking down
    those abandoned old streets of ghost towns or on a highway like route 66 or at least
    what I imagine route 66 to be like. Your Stanza’s are well constructed and work well.
    Many have a tendency to over use joining words like, in, and, but, the, etc In most
    instances this detracts from a good poem, you don’t, you get straight to meat of the
    poem so to speak. Good write

• Liz
    6 years ago

Congrats to everyone!

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Noura's poems need to be collected and sent to every person in the US Congress.
    Congrats to Paul & Mr Murphy. Love it when newcomers are recognized.

Wonderful PMs as well.
    Thanks for hosting, Min & thanks to the judges.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congrats to all the front page winners and HM's. Really great writing by all. Meena, thanks for hosting and judges for making the difficult choices. Well done everyone!

• Michael
    6 years ago

Congratulations to this week's contest winners. Sensational poetry full of admiration.

Thank you to the judges for my HM. Very gratefully received.

Michael :)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Noura's poems need to be collected and sent to every person in the US Congress.

^^

I couldn't agree more. I mentioned on the poem's page that it could be a sequel almost to 'Truce'. They really are, between them, as powerful as poetry can get. Well done. Also, a big congratulations to the newcomers to the site who picked up well deserved wins.

All the best

• ddavidd
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Thank you so much to the judges for my comments, to Meena, and to those who nominate me. So much gratitude and appreciation.

• Pagan Paul
    6 years ago

Thankyou to everyone that participated, judges etc.
    Special thanks to Hellon for the nomination.

For a poem that took less than 3 minutes to write I am delighted with the reception it has had.
    Thankyou p&q community :)

PPx

• pmmurphy
    6 years ago

thank you everyone i am glad you liked that piece as much as i liked writing it.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

POWERFUL does not even begin to describe these poems! Congrats to all winners & HM's.
    Thank you so much judges as well as Meena, for posting.

Hope you all are doing well!

• Naughtymouse
    6 years ago

What can I say?? Amazing writes this week guys!!!

• Ren
    6 years ago

Congrats to all the wins and HMs! :)

• abracadabra
    6 years ago

Oh my god. Noura.
    So far away, and far and away the best poem I have read in a long time. I feel numb.

• nouriguess
    6 years ago

I honestly didn't expect the win. Haven't been able to write lately, and I wrote this at 5a.m. while crying.
    I appreciate the comments, and I'm so flattered that the poets I look up to liked it. <3