Weekly Contest Results - May 29th, 2017

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago

Strong week for poetry. Tied for first place is Ben's poem "Untitled" and "For goodness sake" by Micheal. For third place is Mortal Utopia with the poem "Songs of Joy". Congrats to all the winners, and those who picked up a HM. Thank you judges for all your hard work.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Winners:
    Untitled by Ben (17): 7 points + 10 points
    For goodness sake by Michael (17) - 7 points + 10 points
    Songs of Joy by Mortal Utopia (11) - 4 points + 7 points

HMs
    Foudroyant by Aegis – 10 points
    Mortal Blues by Satish Verma 10 points
    Spirit free - Message to Mum - by Milly Haywood - 10 points
    You Are More than What You Do by Larry Chamberlin – 7 points
    To Write a Final Poem by Ben – 7 points
    The Plight of the Fish by mossgirl19 -4 points
    Not in service - by Ben - 4 points
    Heart and Soul By Love 4 points
    The Fall by Ren – 4 points

Untitled by Ben
    From the very first line this piece was heartbreaking, but it was still calm enough that I welcomed such heartache. Once I finished reading I not only stepped into the author's shoes but I reopened my own wounds as well; for a few brief moments, I relived the ending days of some of my most lackluster relationships and recalled how I felt as those relationships petered out. The word choice here was perfect and the style was chosen well also. (7 points)
    -------
    This week has proven one of the hardest for me as a judge this term. There were any number of poems that could have been in my top three, but thinking about it that’s how it should be, though it may make for more diverse judging results. Untitled, one of three poems Ben has had nominated this week struck the strongest cord with me and my top choice this week. It’s an easy to read free verse poem that is wrapped with heart and soul and easy to relate to, no doubt striking a cord with many of its readers. It flows well the visuals strong and most importantly capped off with a very strong finish. Kudos Ben! (10 points)

For goodness sake by Michael
    Clever descriptive lines, with a story line that held my interest throughout, invoking great imagery as it reflects I'm sure what many parents are feeling as (to quote the Author), 'our wonderful world languishes.'
    A good write Michael, with passion and great concern for our failing world which was reflected in every line of this poem. Well done! I enjoyed reading this. (7 points)
    ------
    This poem jumped out for me this week, it's truly honest and raw. The author looks towards the open skies for an answer, some solace in a world where violent acts can occur anywhere. It really resonated with me for that reason. It implicitly has hope since the author hasn't given up, isn't desensitized to all the madness the world has to offer (10 points)

Songs of Joy by Mortal Utopia
    For a short and simple piece this seriously knocked my socks off this week. There was a ton of personality packed into each and every single word. There is a sense of compassion in this that doesn't take the form of any particular relationship style, but it is inviting nonetheless. Absolutely beautiful write with spot on wicked skills. (4 points)
    ---------
    It’s the case of less is more with this short but evocative piece. Brenda commented as this poem being “Hauntingly beautiful” I think that is a very apt description. There is certainly something very haunting within this poem (in a good sense) it has depth and clarity that is hard to achieve but something you have accomplished seemingly effortlessly. I’m not sure you need the brackets around the last verse but that’s a minor distraction in the context of the overall effect of the poem. Great work. (7 points)
    Foudroyant by Aegis
    This poem, specifically in the second stanza, flowed beautifully due to a quite rhythmic repetition of “-er”-ending syllables:

“A-cER-bic em-bERs ravage
    hER veins”

along with the following lines, the words utilized featuring short “e” sounds:

“thrEAt-E-ning to dE-ci-mate
    the for-Ests in her
    eyes-“

This pattern quite pleasingly splits up the poem’s opening and final stanzas perfectly with its diction, structure, and rhythm.

The poem itself, analysis of an unknown “her”, and the raging uncertainty beneath her flesh which portends to raze the flora of her existence holds the reader’s attention through its quality language and metaphorical substance. Wonderfully written and truly engaging! (10 points)
    Mortal Blues by Satish Verma
    Every aspect of this piece oozed with emotion and personality, there was no doubt in my mind that this would reach the hms (at minimum) this week, and I'm so glad to see that I was not wrong. Even if the choices did get close towards Friday. I think what I love the most about this piece is that despite the overwhelming sorrow I was able to stop and really contemplate the different directions of this piece and how incredibly penned each element was. The flow to this was perfectly conversational while the word choice was a little more dressed up than the average conversation, and I absolutely adored the short stanzas and how despite their length each was paced with information or imagery. (10 points)

Spirit free - Message to Mum - by Milly Haywood
    A beautiful but sad poem that really tugged at my Heart strings as I read each line, and read the reason it was written right at the end of this write. So sad. 10 points Milly! Good work! (10 points)
    You Are More than What You Do by Larry Chamberlin
    This poem, suitably posted within college graduation season, posits that there is always a way out from any downfall that may befall one’s self. No matter the limitations set, or the setbacks that occur, it may only take reshaping the road ahead, or finding a new road altogether, to get back on track.

I really appreciate the varying journeys presented within the piece, or so the imagery, really - a tunnel, a dark woods, pathways - and the light being only just beyond the leaves overhead. In particular, the third stanza stands out with it’s “Look up!” opening -

“This pathway is not closed;
    you are not in a tunnel, blocked ahead;
    you are on a trail through dark woods
    but the light is above you …”

A timely, well-composed work and well-deserving of its nomination! (7 points)
    To Write a Final Poem by Ben
    I really like this poem; the author goes through all possible ideas for a final poem but in the end settles on writing everything. To me, it says there's so much beauty, hope, love, emotions in the world that poets feel that neither one of them would be the dominant force. Us poets are a sensitive bunch. This poem is indicative of that. (7 points)

The Plight of the Fish by mossgirl19
    This poem's has some hard-hitting truths, the final verses hit really hard "for life is survival of the fittest, and those who cannot feed on others ultimately, dies". You can pin that truth to a lot of things, the world has a whole, or even people. (4 points)

Not in service - by Ben
    I'm feeling that this is a poem about a once great Love that is slowly dying.
    I liked many of the clever lines that Ben uses here. Very original and creative stuff!
    'The night bus to your dreams is not in service and I remember how we were with poetry in our veins, and love on our lips.' Classic lines here! Wish I could of thought those up!! Well done Ben! (4 points)

Heart and Soul By Love
    One of two new poets I voted for this week that I haven’t seen as a judge before, great to see new poets nominated and certainly worthy of their nominations. It was emotions conveyed in this poem that first drew me to this site many years ago, and ones that many if not most can relate to. Do we ever truly heal? we are certainly changed. This poem certainly encapsulates all of that in an earnest and vivid way, and had me looking back down the road map I have travelled. Thank you for the journey, well done. (4 points)
    The Fall by Ren

It is quite certain that there can be vitality in brevity; and this poem, within its consolidated structure, certainly packs a powerful gut-punch.

The poem, in its implicit simplicity, does well to point out many other things that can be simple in life - being kind to, or there for, someone, being attentive, providing an open ear. And yet, though a candid work, the piece also delves into the intricate web that is true sadness.

A tragic, but strong write. (4 points)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Well done to everyone highlighted this week.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Congrats to the winners and other HMs and thanks to Mark for hosting and to the judges.
    Thanks especially for the comment!

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Really beautiful work. Thank you Mark for hosting.

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Congrats guys.

I've been a little out of the loop the last few days due to being out in the sticks doing what I do.

Nice to log in and see some stuff I've loved reading receive the credit it

Well done all

• Michael
    6 years ago

I would like to say that the poems this week were of so much diverse and incredible pieces of writing... so well done to two other great poets. Also to the wonderful and well deserved HMs of also great writing.

It's always heart wrenching to write of sadness, however thank goodness (pardon the pun) we all express rather than suppress.

So just to say thank you all poets and much, much peace and love to you all xx :)

• Ren
    6 years ago

Congrats to the winners and HMs this week! Some excellent writing, as always! Y'all rock! And thank you to the judges...y'all rock even more!

• Ben
    6 years ago

Congrats winners and HM's alike!!

Thank you judges for all your hard work and really wonderful comments. Very humbling!

Ben

• Britt
    6 years ago

Congratulations!! <3