Poet of the Fortnight #3: Aries Rising (June 9 - June 23)

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Aries Rising has been randomly selected as our third Poet of the Fortnight (PotF)! Aries Rising is 45 years old and hails from the United Kingdom. He joined PnQ with this account earlier this year and is already an active member in our community with 195 poems posted and 456 comments left on poems (WOWZA).

----
    Latest poem:
    Ambrosia

This is a thing that I can't have
    The delicacy for those eternal hosts
    But I don't like being told what to do
    So I'm gonna try it, but it may be only once

I'll hide bellow the table
    Or sneak into those halls
    Slither in so stealthily
    My back braced against the walls

You may think that I'm not worthy
    Perhaps you would be right
    But ya gotta know this is who I am
    A child born of will and fight

Not one to embrace without question
    I won't adhere to stupid rules
    But one who'll always challenge
    The stupid words of fools

If those ethereal beings sense my presence
    Then I think I'm gonna have to run
    But I'll drop my pants as I pass the door
    And show em all my bum.
    ----

A.R., please fill out this public survey when you find time. You can pass any question/prompt in this thread, just write "Pass." I will ask 10 questions total throughout the next 2 weeks, and members of the community are encouraged to participate by asking questions of their own. Here's the survey:

Meaning behind your PnQ name:
    Birth place:
    Languages spoken:
    When you discovered PnQ and why you joined:
    Favorite poet(s):
    Book you are currently reading:
    Song you last listened to:
    Inspirations for writing:
    5 truths about yourself:

*To the community: Aries Rising has forewarned me that he'll need to answer questions sporadically as he cannot always check in every day. Please do not let that keep you from asking him questions!

• CJ Maleney replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

I have to admit I find this rather exiting and a little daunting at the same time,

OK hold on tight, here we go.

Real name Craig Joseph, but keeping my surname private. (Strange last name I hear you say)

My PnQ name is representative of an inner struggle I was going through at one point.

Born and reside in Carlisle, Cumbria, England, Planet Earth, The universe.

I only speak English although I do know a tiny bit of French, and can swear quite proficiently in a few others. Oh but fluent in drunken gibberish. Lol

I discovered the site the day I joined, I shared my poems with couple of friends and one sent me a link to PnQ and tada here I am.

I don't actually have a favorite poet, I have 3, all are on here and have very different writing styles, I won't say who they are because I don't think that's fair on the rest.

Not currently reading a book but I've snuff by Terry Prattchet on stand by waiting till I'm in a lighter frame of mind, it's the last thing of his I have to read so I want get all the jokes and connections. Some are cleverly hidden.

The last song I listened to was fare thee well oh honey, it's gods song off supernatural which I simply had to download once I'd heard it. I can actually sing it word for word I listen to it so often.

My inspiration for writing can be anything which I think my last poem proves, laughter, life, love, loss, a song, a movie or the words and deeds of others. Literally anything.

5 truths about myself

1. I wish I'd never left the army.

2. I prefer the company of my dogs to that of most people, they don't lie, cheat or steal. Although I'm beginning to question the last bit as unattended food has a habit of mysteriously vanishing.

3. I've had two serious motorcycle accidents which destroyed the bikes but I never broke a bone. Edit ! As a result from these. I've broken em in other ways.

4. I was presented Her Majesty's Lord lieutenants commendation, for what I did when our town flooded a couple of years ago.

5. I absolutely despise onions "they are the devils fruit".

Bonus truth, I see a double entendre in pretty much everything.

Excuse any type errors I've missed, doing this on my phone

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

A pretty benign question perhaps, but when did you start writing poetry, Craig?

• CJ Maleney replied to Ben Pickard

I wrote my fist rhyme, on my fist Bosnia tour back in 1996, I wrote about 30 or so afterwards over a couple of years. Then I stopped completely until November 2015.

Bosnia 1996 is listed here. It's not brilliant but it's my beginning. I still don't class it as a poem or myself as a poet incidentally.

Regards

Craig

Oh and I wrote it on the back of the door of the container I called home for that 6 months. Funny how it's one I can recall word for word, from so long ago, others are lost to memory.

• Em
    6 years ago

What most inspires you to write?

• CJ Maleney replied to Em
    6 years ago

This is such a tricky one to answer as inspiration can slam you from any direction. And often it hits hard.

I've written things covering many aspects, Many about love or loss, in fact most fit into this category although they may not appear to belong.

What gets me thinking most is frustration. I've seen many things in my time and sometimes I think "things simply should not be this way"

I belive there is always way if you choose to look for the path. Many of us won't look for it and often can't see it. Admittedly I'm one at times.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

What has been your greatest persistent challenge in life?

Not counting frustration, what do you find your most consistent inspiration?

Did you find having the surname "Private" a detriment in the army?

Do you have someone significant in your life to share your poetry with? Kids?

Do you still teach watercraft or was that poem a memory of older times?

Do you have an orange cat named Ulysses?

• hiraeth
    6 years ago

What's one piece of literature you'd want everyone to read?

You're given a free trip to anywhere and allowed to take two people, who would it be and why?

Do you think there was any moment in your childhood that was quintessential in forming the person you are today?

• CJ Maleney replied to Larry Chamberlin

I would have to say my 2 kids are my own most persistent challenge both are adopted and as such didn't come without issues.

I would say my most constant inspiration is music, many of my poems feature the title or a lyric from a song, even though the poem may not be about the song.

Re private, very clever I liked that. I actually made corporal and only spent 2 years as a private.

I share my poems with a couple of friends, although my kids see the ones I write for them and some of my daft ones. I kinda view PnQ as my personal place.

I still teach paddle sports on a very regular basis and the kids I teach have won competitions at district and area level and made it to national finals 3 years running. Not bad when you think there are 18000 young people in our organisation. My current profile pic was taken 2 weeks ago.

No evil cat orange or otherwise lol

• ddavidd

Why poetry is necessary?
    Have you ever heard THE song?

• CJ Maleney replied to hiraeth

I know it's geeky but anything and every thing by Terry Prattchet (I'm such a fan). It may not be inspirational or life changing but his work can take your head to a different place. The way he links a fantasy world to that of the real world is pure genius.

If I were given a free trip to anywhere I would only take 1 person as that's all I can get on the back of my motorcycle. I would be doing route 66 incidentally. That person would be my boy

Not so much from my childhood but from my early teens. I was a bit of a wild one. I joined sea cadets at 14 years old and that's when I first paddled. I took to it straight away without any need for tuition. It also taught me discipline and values and gave me an interest in the armed forces. I owe everything to that organisation.

• CJ Maleney replied to ddavidd
    6 years ago

Poetry is not necessary it simply is, it's natural progression of song in my personal opinion. Most poetry could be put to music very easily.

No I've not heard THE but send me a link and I'll have a listen

• Ben Pickard replied to CJ Maleney

Thanks, Craig - interesting story.
    By the way, Terry Pratchett is an absolute genius and as lauded as he is, he is underrated massively.

• ddavidd replied to CJ Maleney

The link , I think, is from within

Thanks for your answers.

• CJ Maleney replied to Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

He is much missed. One day I'll attend the disc world convention

• Aegis
    6 years ago

1) If you could have any superpower, even a made up one of your own, what would it be and why?

2) Is there anywhere in your town you consider your "happy place"? Maybe somewhere you go to clear your head or relax?

• CJ Maleney replied to Aegis
    6 years ago

If I had one superpower it would be the ability to teleport anywhere in a split second, and be able to take anything or anyone I touched with me.

I would use it to remove innocents from dangerous or horrible situations and perhaps to take down evil people.

Or maybe I just wanna rob a bank lol,

I don't really have a happy place within my town, but there's a place not far away where I can float about. I pretty much zone out if I'm there alone.

• Meena Krish
    6 years ago

What triggers you to write?

Inspiration?...like the weather, season etc.

Is there a specific time that you write or whenever you are inspired?

Have you had a moment where you can't sleep until you have penned
    what is troubling you or keeping you awake?

Do you go back and forth read and re-read what you have written
    and sometimes felt no this is not what I want..or did I feel like that or
    sometimes even deleted a poem because you don't want to be reminded
    about something..?

• Em
    6 years ago

What's one thing (obviously that you are comfortable sharing) that not many people know about you ?

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

What do you think of E.E. Cummings? (the American poet) :-)

• CJ Maleney replied to Meena Krish

Anything can be a trigger, sometimes it's something so random and miniscule. I nearly always start with a few words. Often something will notch into my head when doing something mundane and I think ooh, problem is ! If I don't get it written down there and then I often forget what it was. Have a busy head and there isn't room for everything.

I don't sit for hours deliberating on if a poem or rhyme looks or sounds good, most of what I write is penned instantly as something inspires me. My song contest entry was written within 5 minutes for example.

I mostly write during the week and often late at night when I finish for the day although I may write a few lines through the day as a reminder. Ambrosia started with just the tittle but I already had an idea of where it was going.

I don't sleep much so yes if things are troubling me they get written, many of such things are here, in fact all of them.

Once written I seldom go back and read it. The process of writing is like a venting system for me. If I've something rattling around in my head, I write it and it's gone, often I don't want that thought process back in there. I hope this makes some kind of sense.

I have deleted poems in the past and some of my best ones at that, I regret it now but once they are gone they are gone,

6 years ago

OK I'm having a giggle with this one.

I have a scar on the base of my little fella as a result form a BMX trick gone wrong,

I think I was 15 when I did it, I went to hospital as it was bleeding a fair bit, they told me that I had to come back with my mother due to my age.

Suffice to say I did not go back lol

• CJ Maleney replied to mossgirl19
    6 years ago

I have not read any of his stuff.

Truth be told, before joining this site I seldom read poetry, now I read loads but only on here.

I just wrote my own and shoved it in the vault although some I shared with close friends.

Craig

• mossgirl19 replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Thanks for answering Craig.

• CJ Maleney replied to mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Welcome x

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hello fella

Whats your most significant self-learning experience been?

• CJ Maleney replied to Michael
    6 years ago

This is actually a really difficult one to answer as it's not something I've ever thought about, and I'm more of an outward thinking person rather than inwards,

If something is in front of me I simply deal with it, be it a physical obstruction, emotional or mental and as such it's difficult to pick one defining moment.

I would however say life in general has taught me one thing and that's to never give up. If you want something then it's achievable. It may be hard and you may fail, but never give up and never say I can't do this.

Sorry if this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for

Craig

• Michael replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Thanks fella

This is your true answer, which is lovely to hear and your feeling. And yes don't give in to giving up

Nice one Dude ;)
    Michael

• PnQ Mod Account

Great questions and answers. Hey, what's your problem with cats!? Haha, careful, you're in the presence of a crazy cat lady :P I like dogs too though, don't worry. What kind of dogs do you have?

Question #1: What is your profession, how did you get involved in said profession, and do you enjoy it?

-Jane/silvershoes

• CJ Maleney replied to PnQ Mod Account

I don't mind cats at all they're lovely with a little garlic mayo lol. I actually have one that gate crashes my pad occasionally. Until it starts scratching my furniture then it gets evicted.

I have a sable collie and my old boy is supposed to be a collie lab cross but he just looks like a black wolf. Unfortunately I only see them at weekends. Which leads nicely on to the next bit.

I drive a truck for a living which I kinda fell into, I took a job as a quick stop gap upon leaving the army and years later I'm still doing it.

I don't mind it as I'm quite comfortable with just my own company, but it can be frustrating at times especially if driving in London.

I work away most of the week and am often alone of an evening which makes for a lot of thinking time, sometimes not such a good thing ! But it also explains why I churn out poems.

Regards

Craig

• Em
    6 years ago

1) whats the best place you've been posted? I know a difficult one as it wasn't by choice I guess but bet there's been some amazing views and

2) how about trucking ? The best place

And why...

3) have you met anyone on your travels that are now lifelong friends?

6 years ago

1) Kenya will take some beating, I was based in Nairobi but I got out and about a fair bit. You get 2 weeks RnR in that 6 months you can either fund your own flight home or stay and do safaris and stuff, I did neither I went climbing and cycling in hells gate national park did some canoeing and walked up and round an extinct volcano.

2. Trucking wise the views in Scotland are pretty special but then so are the views in my own county, the lake district is gorgeous.

One of my favorite bits is actually on the M6 motorway as you come through T bay gorge. It's very breathtaking especially is it's been snowing, but more importantly it tells me I'm only an hour from home.

3. Quite a number of old army mates even though we are all miles apart, I'm god parent to ones son also. We have a reunion every now and then, it's a suited event. It all starts off very sensible but it swiftly gets messy once the beer starts flowing lol

• Em
    6 years ago

If you were to win a £million what are the first three things you'd do with it and why?

I would buy new kayaks and canoes for cadets because we desperately need em

A van to convert so I could just throw my kayak on top and go. It would also be utilised for cadets lol.

Finally I would buy a small patch of land in the woods somewhere, because I've always wanted to build my own log cabin. From there I will plan my conquest of the world lol.

• Liz
    6 years ago

What is one language you wish you could speak/understand fluently?

• CJ Maleney replied to Liz
    6 years ago

I was tempted to say French but if I really wanted to I could build on what I already know and probably will one day.

I then thought polish for practical reasons. Through the course of my work I come into contact with a lot of polish guys and sometimes their grasp of English isn't so good and it makes the job more difficult.

However I'm gonna settle for Greek, I love the country, the islands and the people. When there I tend to stay away from touristy bars and restaurants in favour of the more local ones. It would be nice to go into these places and converse fluently.

Regards

Craig

• BlueJay
    6 years ago

Of the poems you have written or have thought of writing, is there one that you think might change the world or maybe even just change the way your own children think? (Maybe teaching them a life lesson or one of the most important skills you think they should have later on).

Of all the things you've read, poetry and otherwise, is there anything out there inked out that you believe is necessary in order to be the person or poet you ultimately want to be?

• Lvi
    6 years ago

1. What were some of your dreams as a child or maybe as a teenager?

2. What is the craziest thing you've ever done?

3. Space exploration or ocean exploration :
    what would you choose and why?

• CJ Maleney replied to BlueJay
    6 years ago

Not one thing I have written will change the world and it's unlikely to alter the perspective of any single individual. What I write may sometimes make my kids smile but they will forget it as swiftly as they forget to wash the dishes. They will find their own way with a little unnoticed nudging lol.

Life lessons are exactly that, you have to live it to learn. It's your willingness to learn the lesson and take something from it that will change you. Unfortunately many lessons are understood far too late.

Your second question is quite intriguing and it can't be answered simply.

I still don't think of myself as a poet (in comparison to others here ) just a writer of random twaddle, much of it means something to me and others are just flights of fancy. If someone likes or smiles at something I've written, then I've gotta admit it's quite humbling.

I don't aspire to be anything other than I am as a person, it's taken a long time to grow into me and I think I've still got a lot of growing to do. Mentally and intellectually I don't think we ever stop.

With regards to the things I write they simply flow and I'm happy that they do so. I would not write a word if I had to sit and deliberate over every word. I write things spontaneously as the thought hits me. I don't think I'll change or digress in the way I write things. I write me and I hope this continues.

Hope this makes a little sense

Regards

Craig

• CJ Maleney replied to Lvi

1. I can't really remember my childhood dreams but I do remember wrapping myself tightly in my blankets and not going near the edge of the bed, I was convinced there was a crocodile under it.

2. Ha ha where to start. I'm not gonna go for craziest I'm going for stupidest.

I did a front flip of a 20 foot high inflatable slide, I landed on my head and seriously screwed my neck muscles up, amazed I never broke my neck.

3. This one is easy, The ocean every single time.

I'm a total water baby. I love all things to do with it. I canoe and kayak sometimes row. If on holiday, I'm that idiot diving off the top of the vessel to see how deep I can go and see what I can see.

Think about all the weird and wonderful things in the ocean! What has space got? Inhabitable, freezing cold planets and ones that are a little bit too toasty for anything to live.

Inner space rather than outer my friend

Incidentally my birth sign is Aquarius, but I don't carry water it carries me.

Regards

Craig