New Judging Term starts July 1st, 2017!

• hiraeth
    6 years ago

We need 5 volunteers for this upcoming judging term! The term lasts 4 months (ends October), if you're interested please shoot a message to one of the mods or the joint mod account! Don't post here, since we need to keep you top-secret (and anonymous)!

This is your chance to make your impact on P&Q, as you will play a role in selecting the winners of the weekly contest! :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

The current judges have been excellent.

YOU should feel the rush that comes when your selections are the poems chosen for the front page.

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your hard work and insightful comments.

Regards and respect

Craig

Ps I'm intrigued as to who you all were

• hiraeth
    6 years ago

Bump, still need judges!

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Had a query about the judging process and thought it may help you decide to give it a go:

When the five judges have cast their votes the poems for the front page are locked in place. Occasionally the judges’ combined votes results in a tie and the site itself selects a poem to break the tie. How the site determines the winner in a tie has long been the subject of research and conjecture. Several times I have "Eureka'd" thinking to have discovered the answer, but each time I have been proven wrong.

After the judges send their votes and comments to the mod account the mod on rotation checks the votes against what is on the nominations page (the mods can see the actual points total for each nominated poem). Occasionally a judge will send in votes & comments, but forget to actually cast their votes. The mod reminds them. If it gets close to the cutoff, the mod temporarily freezes that judge's votes and casts that judge's votes as sent to the mod account. Sometimes the votes and poems don't add up. indicating the judge voted for the wrong poem (has not happened since the new site came up).

In short, the mod makes certain that the poems actually selected & commented on by the judges are the ones in top place on the nominations page. The mod then compiles teh comments, showing teh winners and HMs on a thread that should be posted on Mondays. Sometimes the time-zones of the mod makes their Monday the following Tuesday in the US.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Only 2 more volunteers needed! Come on, guys! Do it for the site! Do it for us! Do it for you! :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

We have four solid judges. We need one more, please.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

We're still short one judge! Aiiii! It's down to the wire! Who likes the weekly contest? I know I do. If you like it, volunteer to judge so we can keep having it :P

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

After fielding a complete complement of judges, we've had one who needed to be released for personal reasons. That gives us one opening for anyone interested.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

One month done and still only 4 judges. Anyone willing to volunteer for the last 3 months of the term?