If you cannot change, there is no future

• ddavidd
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

If you cannot change, there is no future
    by Larry Chamberlin

Every once in a while I'll try to share some insight, to the bet of my limited ability, into some quotes or short poems, until I bump into a brick wall again. I hope others would pitch in as well

I chose this quote because in its outmost simplicity, says more than it looks saying.
    A reader might say it is not true, time would go one whether we change or not; future is independent to us. But here the angle is more interesting than that trivial vision: If time do not bring change we are stagnant, still life; we are frozen. Future is not only time going forward, it includes us going forward as well. Consequently it is an absurdity (Reductio ad absurdum) believing by not changing, time would still go forward, even it does, still go forward.

• Larry Chamberlin

Interesting thread, Frank. I like what you got out of my quote, and, as you say, there is more.
    I look forward to reading your take on others' quotes.

• Em replied to ddavidd

This is rather interesting. I believe a leopard can never change its spots BUT is that me judging (I'm not judgemental) or is this me being an anxious (excuse me) fk because of the past?

• ddavidd replied to Larry Chamberlin

Glad you liked it Larry.

Actually I am going through some hardships, thought could distract my attention in a positive way.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Em

Change is subtle. It is rare that you see a complete reversal of personality. When that does occur it usually results from a tremendous outside factor overwhelming in nature - one which must be dealt with but on which old constructs no longer are effective. The resulting change is not always positive, sometimes it's even fatal.

On the other hand, superficial changes are hardly worth noting: favorite meals, new clothes, vacations, even new jobs and lovers often signify no change internally.

Changes can be purposeful and aimed toward specific goals:
    - learning how to cope with the death of a loved one
    - getting past a long-term failed relationship
    - discovering the means to stop self-destructive behavior
    - determining a new career course consistent with one's values
    These types of change are difficult but generally manageable, especially with the patient guidance from outside.

Self-actualizing one's full inner potential.
    Modifying one's outward being to match one's inner experience.

These are changes available to each of us but which are rarely taken on.

• ddavidd replied to Em

I think it is you because of the disposition.

• Em replied to Larry Chamberlin

Larry I totally agree with what you wrote here. Some times criminals can change I guess but most of them if given the chance could commit the same crime a dozen times just as much as cheaters could carry on cheating again given the chance but then again just because they are classed as bad people it doesn't mean they will continue to be that person so I guess what I said previously is not always the case.

Frank that's quite possible.

Edit: also us 'good/normal' people could quite possibly change to a bad person too I suppose it depends on the situation as something could trigger us off and I have said this always we all have the same brain some just don't function the way they were meant to for instance I preferred English to maths though someone else my height, weight and with the same name could love maths but despise English which in my opinion could make us all killers but some of us don't have that killing part within our brains.. hopefully that makes sense and doesnt make me sound completely deranged.

• ddavidd replied to Em

Actually you reminded me of a good point. Future always is inter connected with betterment. In the quote above, the change has direction; you could even conclude: 'that if you change yourself to worse, time goes backward.'

Of course this betterment is not a mechanical one; things stay where they are sometimes or even occasionally become worse here and there, but all together, the outcome has a direction and is entwined with the notion of betterment.
    Indeed time and evolution are two inseparable concepts, you can even trace that in the Larry's quote.

• CJ Maleney

The thing that hits me is that change is unavoidable, the things you experience in life will have an effect in one way or another.

How it changes an individual is the total random factor though. Some changes will be for the better and some detrimental to a person's existence.

I've changed massively over the years and purely because of experience and my willingness to change. My 45 years have been an interesting journey yet not one change in me I decided upon. They simply happened.

What I write now I hope people can understand. I grew up in a quite rough area. I was an idiot who listened to the ideas and opinions of my peers to much, I would be classed as racist and a homophobic bigot. I don't think I ever truly was any of these things but within that environment and that circle of friends I believed the things I was hearing. Then again my step father was a racist knob too and if those opinions keep hitting the ears of a young mind just think what damage they can do.

I pretty much parted company with those people aged about 14. I spent less and less time at home and by the time I was 18 I had moved out of home, by the time I was in my 20's I'd moved away completely.

Incidentally some of those kids I knew are exactly the same as adults, their lives are pathetic. Same pub every night surrounded by the same kind of idiots talking the same nonsense. Their idea of experience is 2 weeks in Benidorm (Spain) drinking in bars with English names, watching strippers and getting smashed every night.

Since then I think I've grown into myself and I've experienced a lot, I have friends from many different ethnic back grounds and i've a few friends who are gay, one is a funny cheeky git and as camp as they come and he's Brill even if he does insist on calling me flower just to wind me up.

In essence if you stand still you stagnate and you will never change but if you're prepared to move (not physically but mentally) you're gonna change and hopefully for the better.

Oh and I now think women of Indian origins and the surrounding areas are the most beautiful on the planet, quite a change when you consider my beginnings.

Regards

Craig

• ddavidd replied to CJ Maleney

What a great ranges of changes!!
    That's the idea (in my humble opinion) you got it exactly.