Weekly Contest Results for June 19

• Meena Krish
    6 years ago

Good Morning P&Q,
    Congratulations to the front page Winners – pmmurphy, Scrittore and Maher
    and those who received a HM! Thank you judges for your time and effort. Without
    further delay here are the results:

WINNERS:

Blank hue by pmmurphy

Broken shells by Scrittore

A silent medley by Maher

blank hue by: pmmurphy

"There is story in this, intrigue, questions, depth that you seem to write so effortlessly. What I
    commend you for is committing to the metaphor of fading colors and paint that seems to coat a
    canvas without any conviction.... the distance your love has traveled. There's a sense of desire here,
    of inevitably, of a reality that we may never be able to fully grasp our hearts around.

There is also something so poignant about how you styled this piece. I'm the type of person who believes
    if an author spaces this way or that way, it's meant to be. The flow is natural (again I will use the word effortless) and this particular line I read as rushed: "in full color no remorse all picket fenced up." I like
    the kind of "high" I get from reading that in regards to how urgent and passionate this love is. There's that
    "I need to see you now" kind of feel.

This is a poem I could find in an old dusty journal, with paint smeared on the edges. I think this line
    in particular could be a metaphor for quite a few things in life: "its hard to paint when you have the
    wrong paintbrush." It reminds me when we push our destiny, when we try and try with all our will, yet
    its like we're working against the wind. Good emotion here." (10 points)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    blank hue by pmmurphy

This is an art within an art that has been beautifully painted not only
    with words but with colors of emotions and feelings. The layout of this poem
    and the absence of capital letters and punctuation makes it so real and personal
    its as if the author is talking this to that person. Vividly written yet touching.
    (10 points)
    --------------------------------------------
    Broken shells by Scrittore

I loved the message in this poem, reflecting on the way we all tend to make
    judgments that will coincide with the expectations of society. I too would like to
    pick the broken shell! Well done Scrittore!(7 points)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Broken Shells by Scittore

To begin, this poem has a solid grasp of unforced and intuitive rhyme choices, making smart use of
    slant rhyme in two stanzas particularly. It appears clear that care was taken with the diction of the
    piece to assist it in flowing more smoothly, as well.

“And as I discarded the broken shells
    Taking note of their beauty too
    I found myself wondering why
    Those seemed to have less value.”

There is an extremely captivating and thoughtful analysis of nature here - why, because something
    is broken, is it viewed as lesser? Of course, there may be logic in brokenness diminishing the physical
    value of an item, but on a scale of beauty, especially the poem’s subject of shells, the poet is quite right
    to see that they can still be just as beautiful as whole shells.

The poem is also a strong analysis of society as a whole; shells, sure, but also people. Time and
    experience may mark people with scars and stories, but they are still as valuable as someone without
    the history. And the history is what makes that person - “What adventures went unexplored?” - and tells
    that they have lived an experienced life. (7 points)
    -----------------------------------
    A Silent Medley by Maher

Beautifully written this poem has a wonderful rhythm that I found quite captivating.
    It has great title that leads into a poem of such rare depth and a sad but compelling love
    story. It left me wanting more. Loved this well done. (10 points)
    --------------------------------------------------------

HM’s:

The gift by Love

After April by Sai

I’ll carry you in my pocket by AnnaCaprice

Too sleepy by Everlasting

Moonbeams in a jar by mossgirl19

Morning in red comb by Frank

The flower by Mortal Utopia

He shoots and sinks our ships by Ben Pickard

Black like my soul by Tony

He shoots and sinks our ships (English Sonnet) by Ben Pickard

As usual, a beautiful and amazing piece of writing from our Ben, worthy
    of a well deserved 10 points! I wish that I could write like this..
    Well done Ben! (10 points)

-------------------------------------------
    I'll carry you in my pocket by Anna Caprice

I liked this romantic piece, with its good imagery that kept my attention all the
    way through. Two Lovers carrying on a Love affair in the 21st century, and only
    able to do it through their mobile phones.
    I'm sure many people in today's world have done just this, 'carrying around each
    other in each others pockets', a situation so very eloquently expressed in this beautiful
    poem by Anna. Well done! (4 points)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I’ll Carry You in My Pocket by AnnaCaprice

This poem has a quality rhyming structure, no forced rhymes, and each rhyme is well-placed.
    As well, the poem flows quickly and smoothly, line-to-line, as well as stanza-to-stanza. I like the
    quick-pace of the reading, without any overly complex language, to allow for the subject of the poem
    to ring true quite easily.

One minor grammatical note on “satilites” (that should be “satellites), but beyond that a
    refreshing and well-executed poem! (4 points)

---------------------------------------------

Black, like my Soul by Tony

Black probably the strongest of colors, and for me this is one of the strongest
    poems this week. Full of emotion and imagery and sadness but I also see hope
    and promise within in this piece. Congrats well ?(7 points)

----------------------------------------------
    Morning in Red Comb by Frank 4 points

I love the way this poem is constructed. Concise it demonstrates an intricate
    understanding of the English language and conveys a strong message. Loved the
    use of Amaranthine in the last line! Well done. (4 points)

--------------------------------------------
    The Flower by Mortal Utopia

“You held each raindrop,
    with its shy, flickering shine,
    in your outstretched petals,”

From this opening, I had to note that the description of a raindrop as “shy” was quite a unique
    observation, for it is not an adjective I’ve seen used before to describe rain. It does work well though, in
    this space, and in a way, adds to a personifying motif in the first stanza, by which the flower seems
    almost human like - outstretched, catching the rain as it falls, the rain falling shy, flickering.

The second stanza continues the personification motif in comparing the flower’s petals to wings, and
    the flower itself to an angelic figure. Through the first two stanzas the poet has painted a beautiful image
    of this flower slicked in rainwater - akin to the red wheelbarrow of William Carlos Williams’s famous
    poem.

An excellent piece with superb imagery. Well done. (10 points)

--------------------------------------------------------
    After April by Sai

"I absolutely ADORE the way this sounds read aloud. That may sound strange, but I'm a sucker for
    poems that have their own voice and I simple "read" the words and they take their own rhythm. It's
    neat you're talking to the poet, and in the depth of this poem I feel you are somehow fading but trying
    to light your presence. The part about you plucking the world seems so significant, like you are a spirit, outside of your body, but choosing to take some of the darkness from this vast space that you now roam
    in. The tinge of sadness and that foreboding farewell... I like how you give this poem this freedom, you
    don't have many restrictions nor do you reign this poem in and tell the reader exactly how to feel or what
    to make of it. Beautiful, introspective piece." (7 points)

-------------------------------------------------------

Moonbeams in a Jar by mossgirl19

"I agree with others who have read and commented on this piece, admiring its simple yet
    understated charm. There's something about this piece that allows me to breathe. I like that you kept
    only a few words per line, as I feel the emotions longer too, that playfulness, that yearning for a
    companion. It may appear like a typical "day by the sea" but you give this poem character. There is a
    purity in this love. An innocence of new beginnings. I loved how you tied in the title and truly brought
    out the light of this love and the moon's! Very heart-warming." (4 points)

-------------------------------------------------
    The Gift by Love
    This is written so beautifully sad yet it comes across with a strong sense
    of sadness and anger-anger in the sense that it was not realized earlier and
    at the same time to receive a gift such as this from the one you love just
    makes the heart break.
    Just one thing the opening line “A boy I once was knew,” without the
    was I think it makes sense…well done. (7 points)
    -----------------------------
    Too Sleepy by Everlasting
    A little chuckle escaped as I reached the end of this read and we all
    feel the same way…not wanting the sun to come catch us and pry open
    our eyes! An enjoyable read! (4 points)

• Ren
    6 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and HM's! Y'all are amazing writers! Well done!

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Congrats to all our winners and HMs! Diverse, lovely pieces. Thank you to our judges/mods for their hard work, such is very much appreciated!

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Congratulations everyone fantastic pieces as always

Craig

• Michael
    6 years ago

Well done to all the winners, which include all HMs :)

Wonderful pieces of writing

Michael :)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Well done to everyone involved and highlighted this week.

All the best

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! As always, beautiful work.

• Em
    6 years ago

Congratulations all. Some fantastic poetry this week.

Thanks judges and meena for posting

Much love all.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Congratulations to the front page winners and to the HMs. Thanks judges and to Min for hosting.

• Britt
    6 years ago

Beautiful stuff this week!!