Poet of the Fortnight #4: Shruti (June 26 - July 10)

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Shruti has been randomly selected as our fourth Poet of the Fortnight (PotF)! Shruti is a 16 year old female living in India. She joined the site with this account in the summer of 2015 and is, in my opinion, a well known member of our little writer's community already. Her poems have earned a place on the front page twice this year. Please welcome Shruti to her special thread!

----
    Latest poem:
    Friday Night
    12/04/2017

Friday night -
    I traced my path down the grey street.
    Flip flops, wet...
    as I stepped on puddles,
    my sight followed the skittering water drops...
    and met the black sky.

"Rain."
    I whispered.
    "Rain on me...please."

I waited,
    as the spring air blew past
    with the softest touch.
    Do you know?
    ...it carried your scent.
    And as I breathed,
    I lost myself.

The street lights hazed away...
    the voices faded...
    And thoughts came flooding
    like tears.
    They told tales of tomorrow...
    while I waited...for the rain.

A wet drop fell on a puddle.
    And I waited...

It was a Friday night.
    And I lost myself
    as I waited...

...and it never rained.
    ----

Shruti, please fill out this public survey when you find time. You can pass any question/prompt in this thread, just write "Pass." I will ask 10 questions total throughout the next 2 weeks, and members of the community are encouraged to participate by asking questions of their own. Here's the survey:

Meaning behind your PnQ name:
    Birth place:
    Languages spoken:
    When you discovered PnQ and why you joined:
    Favorite poet(s):
    Book you are currently reading:
    Song you last listened to:
    Inspirations for writing:
    5 truths about yourself:

• BlueJay
    6 years ago

Oh yay, I am so excited to see/learn more about you and your work!

• Shruti
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Umm hello everyone. ^_^
    So it's me here, and I am equally excited and nervous for this.
    Here we go.

Meaning behind my PnQ name: So here's a kinda dramatic story lol.
    I had a great friend. We were pretty close back then (2015), but our friendship somehow started falling apart. I then found this wonderful site and started writing poems. But I came to know that my friend too has an account in here. I did not want her to know me. So I did not give my real name. Initially my PnQ name was Sibena. But it felt too unrealistic. So I changed it into Shruti.
    This name Shruti is very dear to me. First, because the actual meaning of this name relates to "words" and "writing". Second, I have a friend named Shruti. :D
    It is kind of like a pen name for me now. :)
    Birth place: Assam, India.
    Languages spoken: My native language is Assamese. And I can speak Hindi and English.
    When I discovered PnQ and why I joined: I discovered PnQ when I was surfing the net for some quotes on friendship. I clicked on a random link, and it brought me here. The quotes that I found that day were so so beautiful. I have many of those written down. Then I saw the wonderful poems in here, the forums, etc. I made an account, and that's when I actually starting writing poems.
    Favourite poet(s): I don't really have a favourite poet that I can name. But I have to say that this site has some poets whose works I really love. :)
    Book I'm currently reading: The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron.
    Last song I listened to: See the light - GOT7.
    Inspirations for writing: My primary inspiration is nature (especially when the wind blows lol.) Otherwise, the source for my inspiration can be quite random. And I can mostly write poems when I or someone dear to me is sad. :D
    5 truths about myself: 1. I over think about everything. And this gives me all the stress.
    2. I love imagining that there is a guardian angel beside me. lol.
    3. I don't let anyone take my photo. Even myself. I'm shy... So even in my phone, there's only 2-3 photos of me.
    4. I have always wanted to learn singing and be a singer when I grow up.
    5. I love my friends a lot. Probably they will never be able to imagine how much.

I'm not too great in English. Even now while typing these, I have been thinking so much about the words that I should use here. So, I'm sorry if I made any mistakes.

And I'll be happy to answer any question! :)

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Hi, Shruti. First of all, I'd like to say you have a really adorable pen name. And, don't say you're not good in English cause' you are. Your poems are great. :-) May I ask if you have a favorite poem and what made you love this poem?

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Can I just second what Mel says, Shruti - your command of English is better in the written word than many whose primary language is English! I find it constantly incredible that some people are able to write so wonderfully (yourself included) in a foreign language. Relatively speaking, it puts many of us to shame...
    As to my question: where do you see your writing taking you in the years ahead? Is it something you wish to pursue seriously or just a hobby and an outlet for your emotions and experiences?

All the best and good to read a little bit about you.

• CJ Maleney

Hi there,

Nice simple question,

what is the one country that you have never visited but really want to, and why?

Craig

• Shruti replied to mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Thank you. :)

I did not used to read poems before. Poetry became an important part of my life after I joined this site, and that's just 2 years back.
    So as I exploring this site for the first time, I came across this poem called "Angel, I should've told you..." by Rolo in the popular section. I read, and it really touched me. I re-read it so many times. I don't have a favourite poem in particular. I have come across many wonderful poems, and that poem is one of those. Basically the simplicity in which the poet expressed her emotions is what made me love that poem.

• Shruti replied to Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

^_^
    Writing has become such an important part of me, in such a short period of time that I still feel astonished when I think about it. A year back, I longed to be writer...a novelist. I talked about writing books, novels etc. But my parents weren't supportive of it. Still aren't. So I made myself understand.
    I will keep writing, but it will remain a beautiful hobby for me.
    Currently my aim is to pursue a career in psychology. I don't know if it will happen.
    But whatever it be, I will definitely write a book one day.

• Shruti replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

I haven't actually been anywhere outside my own country. So there are many places, but I really want to visit South Korea.
    Ok so I am a K-pop lover :D. And I have heard a lot about their culture, traditions, etc., and it really fascinates me. I have listened to many K-pop songs, seen pictures of the places, dresses, and food! But I want to go there and experience it all.
    :)

• mossgirl19 replied to Shruti
    6 years ago

Thanks, Shruti. I kind of have the same experience. Although I have been writing since 12, I have come across one poem on this site when I was 14 that definitely left a mark in my heart. ;-)

Yay, I see you love K-pop, are you into K-drama also? And if yes, what's your favorite K-drama? And why. :-)

• Ben Pickard replied to Shruti
    6 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Shruti and make sure you get that book written...despite what your parents say! We (parents) are a boring lot.

Take care

6 years ago

I'm actually quite new to K-pop, and still learning. My friend dragged me into it a year ago. So I'm yet to watch those lovely k-dramas. But I have heard about a lot of them, like Pinocchio, Dream High, Coffee Prince, Dream Knight, The Legend of the Blue Sea, etc. I'll definitely watch them in the days to come.

• Shruti replied to Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

I will. Thank you.

6 years ago

Haha, well, yes, they are really great. :-)

Have you ever looked into Indian poetry intentionally, and if you have, do you have a favorite Indian poet?

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi Shruti,
    First off, for a lady so young, and I mean this as a compliment, as at 16 years old, I don't think I could write a letter1 :)
    Your writing surpasses many young authors I know of, so I take my feathered hat off to you.

My question is from where you live, are there many poets/writers that have inspired you to write? whether it be family, friends etc..
    Also I agree with you in an earlier message, that enjoying a passion is nice to keep it separate, maybe? from it becoming a profession (an opinion only) :)

All the best

Michael

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Hi Shruti, first off I would like to commend you on your excellent usage of the English language, considering the short time you've been using it and writing it. I don't think I would even come close to mastering another language in that short of a time. Your goals are admirable for one so young, I applaud you for being driven. Do you have any particular teacher or teachers that have really inspired you and why? You mentioned you get inspiration when the wind blows, is it the sound or the visuals it produces? I hope you continue writing and don't give up on that book. It's important to follow your dreams and goals.

I have read a few poems by Rabindranath Tagore, and I love those. I've read many poems by other Indian poets too, but not intentionally. I either stumble into them, or I find them in magazines, etc.
    And umm, I don't have a particular favourite Indian poet as well.. ^-^

• Shruti replied to Michael
    6 years ago

And...I'm running out of words..! I'm very grateful for the lovely words. :)
    Umm inspiration can hit hard at any moment. And it hit me first when I was 15. But I guess age doesn't matter. We eventually are all poets, writers, and a family here.
    And yours poems are so good! I've read a few of them. So hats off to you too. ^_^

To be honest, situations have inspired me to write rather than a particular person. In my family, I guess I'm the first one to take such a deep interest in poetry.
    Some of my close friends write lovely poems too, but I have honestly never seen them writing before. It's like they too got into this just some months ago.

And about the passion thing, I actually don't know... I'm often left confused when I think about it.
    But according to me, this is true that it brings a different kind of joy when we enjoy a hobby separately than when it is taken up as a profession.
    :)

• Michael replied to Shruti
    6 years ago

Thank you Shruti :)

Its really nice to hear about authors and their life a little in regards to writing, and yes I absolutely agree with you about passion.

thank you for replying and continue with such amazing poetry

much love

Michael :)

• Shruti replied to Brenda

Running out of words again...lol.
    Actually the subject English was taught to us in our school. So I've learned this far, and I have more to learn, of course. :)
    And I do have a particular teacher by whose words I was really motivated. She was our Mathematics teacher. Her friendly, open, and encouraging words have really helped me in many ways.

And the wind! When the wind blows, I love to close my eyes and feel it... The visuals it produces, like the rustling of leaves, the sound, and the feels etc., bring so many thoughts to my mind. I kind of get nostalgic. So it helps to weave out thoughts...emotions...and words. :)

Thank you.

6 years ago

Yay, I love Rabindranath! He's great, and so is Indian poetry. Thanks, Shruti.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

I have to agree with the rest: You have an excellent command of English, Shruti.
    I like that the wind inspires you. I didn't care for the wind growing up. My dad has always said the wind makes him feel on edge. I guess I grew up with that mentality. Then I dated a Sikh for 2 years and he told me wind means God is happy. I liked that interpretation so much that I made it my own. I love to think of him saying, "God is happy," on windy days. He was a very kind and gentle man and his religion is/was beautiful. Anyway... questions!

Question #1: If you are a parent someday, how would you like to you raise your kids differently?
    Question #2: What would a world populated by clones of you be like?

• hiraeth replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago

What's one piece of literature you would want everyone to read?
    What poem have you written means the most to you?
    Is there any poem you're not sharing with us for any reason?
    If you had to make a phone call to any historical figure (living or dead), who would it be and what would you say?
    You have 30 seconds as of right now, to do something that would brighten up someone's day, what would you do?
    What's five things you dislike in poems?

I'll be back to hit you with another barrage of questions after you answer mine and the previous ones. :)

Interesting answers, you have an excellent grasp of English. :)

• Shruti replied to silvershoes

God is happy...wow. It feels nice to think like that. :)

Difficult question.
    I've seen my mother bringing up my sister. So I know at the least that it is a beautiful responsibility, and well, along with it there are times when you lose your patience.
    But it still always brings a kind of joy that just can't be explained.
    Well, I actually did not think about it that much. But if I am a parent someday, I hope I am able to understand my kids, and see things through their perspectives. I hope that they see a friend in me along with a mother.

A world populated by clones of me...omg I'd not wish for that. You see, I'm quite uncertain of myself.. If that happens, half of the world will be left questioning their own abilities. Umm on the brighter side, there will be less fights and less misunderstandings I guess.

• Shruti replied to hiraeth
    6 years ago

One piece of literature I'd want everyone to read... I don't think I've come across something like that yet...or maybe I don't remember.. But if I still have to choose something now, then maybe the book 'Firefly Lane' by Kristin Hannah.

I don't actually have a favourite among the poems that I have written. But whenever I read my poem False December, a certain kind of feeling arises that can't be explained. And I myself don't know why..

There are 3-4 poems that I haven't given here...because I feel they aren't too good to be read..

I'll actually get nervous if I have to call someone like that. So, I don't know...
    Maybe I can call Donald Trump and ask him why he's like that! lol ehe..

I guess I'll go and hug my mother.

I don't feel like reading a poem when it has 'major' grammatical errors all throughout.
    Also when the words or the image being painted just doesn't reach me. Otherwise, it's fine. Could not think of five.

And I'll be happy to answer more. ^_^

• ddavidd

Do you write your poetry or your poetry writes itself?
    Do you see any connection between the soul of justice and what inspires you to write?
    Have you ever heard THE music!!??

• hiraeth
    6 years ago

Do you have any hidden talents, or talents that you won't share with your family & friends?
    What's the first poem you ever written, do you still have a copy of that?
    Summarize yourself in one word.
    Describe your poetry in six words.
    Have you ever done something that isn't typical of you? If so, what is it/
    What is the last thing you've done for the first time?
    Is there something you've always wanted to do, but are scared?
    What's one thing you have yet to do (could be a chore or life goal or anything)/
    What is your favourite season?

• Shruti replied to ddavidd
    6 years ago

Sometimes I write poetry...and sometimes it's the other way. Words flow out, and I don't even know.
    I guess I do. When I write about something, it's somewhere or the other related to things not done fairly...or something like that.
    And I don't think I've heard THE music yet. Waiting for that day to come! ^_^

• ddavidd replied to Shruti

How I like your answers!
    I think poetry is serious with you, otherwise you would have found my questions absurd.
    I wish THE music happen to you!!

• Em
    6 years ago

Up to date: what's the moment in your life you're proud about?

Do you have any pets? If so, what are they and what are their names?

• Shruti replied to hiraeth

I'm good in art and crafts, but my family knows.. Umm no, I don't have a hidden talent.

My first poem was on 'Bihu', the main festival of Assam. I've written it down in some notebook.

Tactful I guess.

My poetry in six words...abstract, subjective, simple, deep, pensive (mostly) and random.

Yea, just yesterday I went and started a talk with a guy in college to clarify something. It will sound weird, but that is not typical of me. I actually studied in an all-girls school, so I'm awkward with the opposite gender of my age in real life..

I ate this thing called Dahi Vada for the first time, and never going to have it again.

There are many things like that...expressing my love to someone, be it a friend or my own sister...and also riding on a rollercoaster!!

Write a book, learn to play the violin!

My favorite season is Autumn. It is neither hot nor cold... the love the colour of the trees, and the wind feels good during this time of the year. And I was born in Autumn as well. ^-^

6 years ago

I loved your questions, not absurd at all.
    Thank you. :)

• Shruti replied to Em
    6 years ago

I made a wonderful friend...I'm really proud of that. :) Not too recent though..

No, I don't have a pet. Parents doesn't allow...
    Otherwise I would have loved to have a dog or a cat...

• ddavidd

In your opinion what differs POETRY from PROSE, is it something in the FORM or is it in the CONTENT??

From Wikipedia: In art and art criticism, FORM and CONTENT are considered distinct aspects of a work of art. The term FORM refers to the work's style, techniques and media used, and how the elements of design are implemented. CONTENT, on the other hand, refers to a work's essence, or what is being depicted.

It depends on the form I guess. You can take the same content and write it both as a poem and prose.
    According to me, it depends on the form, because if we take a prose and make some chaanges in its form, make the lines more lyrical, add some metaphors, but keep the overall content same, then it can be turned into a poem..

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Question #3: What do you consider your greatest loss?

Question #4: What poem that you have submitted on PnQ do you think best represents you as a poet?

• ddavidd replied to Shruti

What a thoughtful answer!!
    You absolutely look it away. History and our classical poetry affirm that.
    But I disagree whole heartedly. I think it is in the CONTENT. This is a very broad dispute. It entails that over 80% of English classical ( so as other languages) are not really poetry; in real, they are just musical proses.
    I can argue that with you and I am sure, how talented you are, you would at least see my point. But not here of course.
    I recommend you to watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMXKQdc5ZM&t=1s

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

You certainly think through your responses and from a position that is unique. It seems you have accomplished great poise and conceptual depth.

Please, tell us about your formative influences. By that I don't mean what made you a good poet, but what experiences, and your reactions to them, led to who you are now.

• Shruti
    6 years ago

I'm really sorry for the delay in answering. My phone is giving some problems.

6 years ago

I do see your point. And I'll definitely watch the video.