Weekly Contest Winners - July 17, 2017!

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Happy Monday to you all! I hope this week brings you much happiness and joy. A HUGE round of applause to this week's winners. We see a true artist in Abby, gain wisdom and hope from Britt, and are moved by the strength and journey of Andrea. Also, congrats to all the honorable mentions as there were a lot of different poems highlighted this week and I know it was tough for the judges! Thank you judges for reading and leaving your thoughts. Hope you all enjoy your week!

WINNERS:

“The Garden of Asylum” by: abracadabra 10 + 7 = 17 points

“Harvesting” by: Britt 7 + 7 = 14 points

“Broken lines: 47 Years" by: Maple Tree = 10 points

COMMENTS:

“The Garden of Asylum” by: abracadabra

“Abby, it is so heartwarming to read a new piece from you! I must say that I never really took the time to look at much of Van Gogh's art or study more personally his history. I remember learning in elementary school about "The Starry Night", but not much beyond that. I honestly did not know he stayed in a asylum/institution. I am so glad you mentioned more in the comments and that you shared the link to Pinterest as well. If you hadn't, I may have just simply read this poem and thought "oh, what a nice reference to an artist", but there is more depth. His paintings take my breath away and the bursts of color make me feel more than I can write. I actually found this excerpt from the Van Gogh Musuem about the "Garden of the Asylum" that I found interesting:

"This painting shows the garden of the clinic in Saint-Rémy where Van Gogh spent a year. He worked there regularly when his illness meant he was not allowed to venture outside. Van Gogh wrote to his friend Bernard about this painting: ‘You’ll understand that this combination of red ochre, of green saddened with grey, of black lines that define the outlines, this gives rise a little to the feeling of anxiety from which some of my companions in misfortune often suffer, and which is called “seeing red”.’

Anyways, I love the honest joy and harmony you have captured here, how effortlessly it flows and that this poem embodies how Van Gogh must have felt when being able to paint and walk the grounds. I don't know, I find it somehow comforting that during this time when he admitted himself, he could find this place of peace and expression.

Hope to see more new pieces from you soon!” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

“This is remarkably beautiful. No other words to describe it but truly a piece of art. I loved the imagery and how it truly came to life, as it did for the point of subject feeling the wet paint. Life is messy and beautiful and when you jump in and touch it, you'll get some on you and experience the most amazing things. So many details packed into such small spaces - reading it multiple times, I get a fresh feel each time. Beautiful.” (7)

“Harvesting” by: Britt

“I have read this piece by Britt and each time it brings something new to the surface, though it still makes me emotional. The metaphors Britt used are once again sublime in that you need to read this a few times to get their really meaning... and my goodness is that meaning full of heart wrenching rawness.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“I so enjoy reading poems like these where I feel the energy - the sweat, breath and sheer will of the harvest. You will reap from the hard work you gave and seeds you sown. And the deeper meaning can apply to so many things in life. I found your tone uplifting and hopeful, that this is a kind of waiting that yes, has provided many frustrations, but has made you even stronger. And having grown up in a farming community, I so appreciate the references and way you wrote this! Pleasure to read.” (7)

"Broken lines: 47 Years" by: Maple Tree

“Before I write my comments I need to say this.

As I come across a poem that has been nominated, I will write a personal note about it and give it a score of ten. When another one appears that also gets a personal note. I will score it above or bellow. As a result the ten point poem may not be there for long and can gradually be bumped down the list of contenders.

This is the first thing that I have read that has never slipped down the scale , not once, not one iota.

With regards to the poem itself, where does one begin? It is quite clearly from the heart and is obviously written from life experience. When I read it for the first time it felt like it was alive,

"I still feel the same reading now"

It is very passionate and I also feel that little aggression came across too (perhaps more than a little). Sometimes we need a little of that just to push through. Too vocalise this in such a way is a measure of strength.

(10) without hesitation or question.”

HM’S:

“Dry Ice” by: Maple Tree = 10 points

“her water peeks” by: pmmurphy = 10 points

“Like by Moon” by: Nani = 10 points

"Love Me Then Leave Me" by: beyouplur = 7 points

“the stem lies” by: pmmurphy = 7 points

"Distorted" by: Lvi = 4 points

“The Drums” by: Mark Rawlins = 4 points

"I should feel free" by: Em = 4 points

“Moonless sky and Starless Night” by: Biancas Veil = 4 points

“Wings Of Words (English sonnet)” by: Ben Pickard = 4 points

COMMENTS:

“Dry Ice” by: Maple Tree

“For me this is a very powerful write. I read this thinking of a little girl. Having your own mother loathe you…this situation is heart-wrecking. What more, the image of this child, on how her soul breaks apart by one look of her mother, this image literally made my knees weak. Her parents ‘dry iced’ her to erase her purple blotches…they tried to erase her imperfections. Sadly, even with the physical marks gone, the emotional marks inflicted by the mother are still there. And the last line spoke volumes, for it is the mother who gave birth to her. And generally, it is the mother who is expected to have unconditional love for the child. But it is not the case for this little girl. A truly epic write.” (10)

“her water peeks” by: pmmurphy

“This is yet another fantastic piece that gave me goosebumps and resonated with me. I feel like I'm the narrator of this wonderful piece watching the scene unfold before my very eyes because it's truly affective and I personally think it'll stick with me for some time especially as there's always uniqueness in pmmurphys pieces.” (10)

“Like by Moon” by: Nani

“My heart leapt at this poem, because honestly it felt like the writer was writing about me. The moon signifies something so magical and beautiful to me in a way I cannot describe, so this held a very personal touch. Being drawn to things that make no sense is basically my entire life - this poem moved me. So sweet, so small, so simple, such a powerful message. So, so so so soo good.” (10)

"Love Me Then Leave Me" by: beyouplur

“I thought I had made up my mind on this week's nominations and then I came across this at the last minute which caused me to re-evaluate my choices..

This is a really strong piece that I think will resonate with many. It is never good to be in such a relationship like this but for so many this is simply the way of things.

To put it out there for all to see is brave and commendable. The poem itself is incredibly well written and captivating and it certainly makes the reader think.

Really enjoyed this.” (7)

“the stem lies” by: pmmurphy

“This poem is seriously a fantastic work! A poem about a lost love that took my breath away. It started with quite a blast and I was thrown into a maze of a flower plucked, blue waters, a picnic starting and ending, alternating choice between water and coke and the amazing inclusion of braille messages. It ended with a beautiful message. I do agree with the others who commented on this one, this is superb!” (7)

"Distorted" by: Lvi

“The words that came to mind after reading this is "soul searching". How many times have I weighed my own silences? Questioned what I should say when I am so out of control with my emotions? I think you pen this very eloquently, that yearning, that desire to be accepted and embraced. It's an honest write and though you don't give too much detail about the situation, I can understand the feelings within. I struggle with often feeling too much, and it becomes a battle in my mind between what I should reach out and say, and what I should hold within. I think you always wander, well what if it doesn't turn out at all? And my version of the truth is not heard. Enjoyed reading this one.” (4)

“The Drums” by: Mark Rawlins

“This is different and eccentric and special. Honestly, whilst reading this I felt a touch of Shel Silverstein, and brought me back to my childhood reading his stories and poetry. Very powerful and full of impact!” (4)

"I should feel free" by: Em

“What does one say about a poem such as this???

I simply feel that is an honest expression of the way the writer felt at that time. Words can be manipulated to mean anything with a little skill and thought. I feel this is just the true expression of the individual without need for twisting and not for any appraisal.

It is true, that sometimes we are there for individuals who have never really been there for us.

I think many of us will have followed this story through writings and I feel there is no happy ending, yet we read on!

There in lays the reason for my vote on this poem..

Well conveyed and well written.” (4)

“Moonless sky and Starless Night” by: Biancas Veil

“I expected this to be a piece about lost hope! But wow, where this beautiful piece took me! A very original, inspiring poem. I love how the three different night skies were presented, full of beautiful imagery. For me, the message of the poem is really remarkable and one I appreciate very much because it gave me a reason to smile!” (4)

“Wings Of Words (English sonnet)” by Ben Pickard

“Ben has a real knack for poetry especially this form which always seems to be done with his eyes closed. The words used and the rhymes are flawless to and I could learn a thing or two from him on this form as I'm sure any of us could.” (4)

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Judges, you have your work cut out, a ton of amazing writes.

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

WOW! Congratulations to all our winners and our HMs! Really fantastic pieces this week and a lot of them once again highlighted!

Thank you to our judges, our mods and to Mary Anne!

• Britt
    6 years ago

Y'all had your work cut out for you this week, there were so many beautiful poems. Thank you, sweet judges, for your love and your time.

Congrats Abby and Andrea - it's sure a fun thing to be highlighted with you.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Well done all this weeks winners, including all the HM's. Some incredible poetry around!
    And hats off to the judges :)

With love

Michael

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

The three ladies of PnQ grace the front page. Best week ever!

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Thank you!

I wrote that poem in full blown tears...just needed to write that piece. Thank you again.

Congratulations Abby and pantso!!!

• abracadabra

Thank you for my win and for all the unexpected support. Please go see Van Gogh in real life if you haven't already. There's a vast difference between a print and the actual canvas. It'll move you to madness, to poetry.

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Little bit late ya'll been flat out busy.

Congrats to the winners and HM's and in fact for all nominated. Wow!

• ddavidd replied to abracadabra

Now we're talking: another soul gets the madness, feels the madness!!

• Em

I swear I posted on this but my heads up my bottom at present anyway.

Thanks POTP for posting, thanks judges for doing what you're doing and congratulations to all front page winners and HMS again it seems a little diverse this week but we don't have a tie which is something :)