Poet of the Fortnight #6: Maple Tree (July 28 - August 11)

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Maple Tree has been randomly selected as our sixth Poet of the Fortnight (PotF)! Maple Tree is a 47 year old female living in New York. Though her current account states an activation date of 2011, she's been a dedicated member of PnQ for much longer (if my memory serves me well). Please welcome her to her own special thread, and be sure to read her latest poem posted just below:

----
    Birth of Sanity

Plagued images
    of rapture, torment -
    mindless journals
    race within a troublesome
    mind.

Hands become the enemy;
    torturing me to write of
    moments that have mated
    with silence

long enough.

I hear screams in the dead
    of a summary night,
    and it's me;

Carving my way out of
    insanity....
    ----

Maple Tree, please fill out this public survey when you find time. You can pass any question/prompt in this thread, just write "Pass." I will ask 10 questions total throughout the next 2 weeks, and members of the community are encouraged to participate by asking questions of their own. Here's the survey:

Meaning behind your PnQ name:
    Birth place:
    Languages spoken:
    When you discovered PnQ and why you joined:
    Favorite poet(s):
    Book you are currently reading:
    Song you last listened to:
    Inspirations for writing:
    5 truths about yourself:

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Thank you Jane, for the awesome introduction!!!! You are correct, this is my third account with PnQ.. I have been a member since 2004. 13 years, with a couple breaks in between :-)

My real name is Andrea Pike

Maple Tree is my poet name because I am a hardcore nature lover and when I was little I climbed a beautiful Maple Tree growing up and the tree holds sentimental memories for me.
    I was Born in Denver Colorado and raised in eastern Kansas. I have lived here in New York for 8 years.

I speak English and Grandma language :-)

I discovered PnQ in August of 2004, I had been writing since I was 13, and I was going through a very difficult time in my live and decided to share my writing with others, very happy I did!

I have so many favorite poets on this site, too numerous to mention. I'm very eclectic in my tastes of poetry and I enjoy reading daily!!
    I am not currently reading a book at the moment but I love fantasy books and I'm a HUGE Game of Thrones fan, I have read the books!

I love music!! I just got home from work and I listened to AC\DC Back in Black!

My inspiration for writing varies as I get older.... Nature is my main genre, but I've written about everything under the sun. I've been writing about painful subjects here lately and I am really noticing a huge release in my heart!

5 truths:
    I'm a wife to a wonderful man named James who spoils me rotten.

I'm a mother to 6 daughter's total, 2 incredible and lovely daughter's from my first marriage and 4 precious step daughter's with my husband Jim. 7 awesome grandchildren!

I love fairy's and owls.

I'm Wiccan

I love guacamole salad and Greek yogurt!

My favorite music bands are Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Judis Priest, The Bee Gees and The Rolling Stones!

Ok everyone I'm looking forward to sharing!!! Thank you

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Andrea, I had to get in first, simply because you truly are one of my favourite people - personally and poetically - to grace this site. Mind you, I think most of us will agree with that.
    Firstly, may I just commend your taste in music - 'Rumours' by Fleetwood Mac and 'Exile on Main ST.' by the Stones are two of my favourite albums.
    Anyway, my question: What drew you to become Wiccan and what does it mean/bring to you in general, everyday life?
    Thanks, Maple and interesting reading your answers so far.

• Em
    6 years ago

I have to agree with Ben you're one of the best on here.

1) if you had to go back to a certain age or year what would it be and why?

2) Who as been your main inspiration for poetry?

3) if you had to choose where would you live a) middle of a forest, b) the middle of the ocean or c) desert island? Again, why?

• Maple Tree replied to Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Awww Ben you are wonderful, thank you!!

The rumours album got me through a ton in my life...such a powerful album!

My grandparents are native American and my grandmother who just recently passed away was wiccan\ gypsie roots from Russia. I learned ways of spirituality living from my grandfather and my great aunt Elsie. I hid my spirituality most of my life because where I grew up, it was not well received. In my middle 30s, I started to practice the Wiccan ways more openly, joined a coven. My daughter's Robyn and Rita were the only ones who supported my spirituality and I soon realized it would be better for me to move, which is one of the many reasons I now live in new York.

Be Wiccan has allowed me to connect with nature in such a powerful way... I am one with nature and my life is guided by nature.

Hugs you Ben!

• Maple Tree replied to Em
    6 years ago

Thank you sweet Em!!!!

I would love to go back to age 5 .... I was a tree climber, would fall asleep in trees...it was such an innocent time for me!

My main inspiration would be my father....he is a writer of rhyme, his writing have encouraged me to branch out and he has encouraged me to find my own style.

Middle of a Forrest. I live close to the Aderondacks but eventually I'll make my retirement home in the woods. The woods is my sanctuary.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Andrea, I follow the posts above but my admiration for you (and Jim) stands behind no one. I consider you the patron saint of PnQ.

Have you developed survival skills so that you could live in the woods indefinitely? If not, have you considered it?

I'm certain you have an entirely different experience in the types of forest you are in. How do the Colorado mountains compare with the woods of Kansas and upstate New York? What differences in inspiration do you experience in each?

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi Andrea :)

Firstly I would like to say that you have been a wonderful inspiration for me, and supported my writing through tough times. So a big thank you :)

I would just like to ask you if any of your children, are following such a great poetic mother with writing or inspired with other creative areas. Thank you

From one writer to an amazing writer
    Much love

Michael x :)

• Em
    6 years ago

What's the first poem you read (that you remembered) that moved you? Care to share.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Andrea, I too consider you one of my favorite writers on this site. Yours was the very first poem I ever read on this site. I became a fan right then and there. Love your music selections. All these artists are amazing in their own rights. Has there ever been a time you stopped writing? If so, what caused you not to write? Who is a famous poet that inspired you?

• Ben Pickard replied to Maple Tree
    6 years ago

What an interesting, relatable and personal answer, Andrea. Thank you.

• silvershoes
    6 years ago

Question #1: What is a typical day in the life of Andrea like, from wake 'til sleep? A work day or a weekend/off-work day -- your choice.

• Maple Tree replied to Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Oh my Larry, Jim and I thank you....what an honor!

I have been reading articles and books on survival in the Forrest...there is a small seminar in old forge that they give often, I'm planning to attend soon.

Colorado mountains are hands down my favorite, along with Wyoming. Its a bit difficult to breathe in the Colorado mountains...being a lover of cigarettes it doesn't mix well.... I plan to quit soon. The woods of Kansas are very few and far between....thick brush...you need a large machete to walk through them ha!!

Upstate NY, has breathtaking Forrest.....for me I love all three, if I choose to live in the Forrest, it would be Aderondacks. I've been looking at tiny cabins and such....

There is a gemstone island in one of the nature hike areas called frog Creek....you can get there by small row boat or canoo...the water is full of leaches....so a lot of people don't go to it....once you make it....there is piles of crystals and gem rocks....

Colorado has narrow roads.....they tend to scare me....but WOW, the beauty is breathtaking.

• Maple Tree replied to Michael
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Michael, you are precious! You are very welcome!

My youngest daughter Rita (age 25) has the writing gift....she has posted on here when she was younger, now she is married with 3 children to raise so she journals. My eldest step daughter Ally (26) writes heart wrenching emotional poetry.....it's truly touching. My eldest daughter Robyn (age 27) is a beautiful dancer....

Hugs you!!

• Maple Tree replied to Em
    6 years ago

It was a poem my father wrote....it flowed so beautiful in rhyme, but it was so sad....it was the first time for me to feel my father's emotions....he kept his feelings to himself....

• Maple Tree replied to Brenda

In late 2006, I had a breakdown and I was diagnosed with severe low thyroid disease....I was in and out of the hospital. I stopped writing during that time and then again back in 2013 with the death of my mother in law Mom Pike.

Both times, my depression worsened with the absence of writing.... I won't do that again....

Maya Angelo....her poetry moves me

Brenda, thank you!

• Maple Tree replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago

You are welcome dear Ben, thank you!

Jane,

My typical workday is a bit easier to explain, on my days off I never know,ha!!!

I wake up between 9 and 10 am. Shower, grab a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Relax a bit with music and go on my tablet.

I then figure out what Mr Pike will have for dinner, pack my lunch, feed my cats and other various house chores. Mr Pike does not sleep well so he normally gets up at noon...we then have our talk time and relaxation. I get ready for work and leave the house by 2:15 pm.... sometime I grab Dunkin donuts ice coffee before work. I report to the homeless shelter by 2:50 pm where I am a resident counselor. I work with a wonderful, small group of ladies ( two are members on this site) ... I leave work at 11 pm, drive home, sit outside and meditate for a bit because my job is incredibly stressful.. I shower grab a snack and Mr Pike and I relax with a movie or I write. Mr Pike works from home as a computer web designer. That is my typical work day!

• Michael replied to Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Wow! Lady you certainly have some creative and wonderful children, its so lovely to hear. I love your little piece about your wiccan/spirituality, so interesting. I ask as my daughter Ellie has joined PnQ and so lovely to see her starting to write and express herself :)

Thank you for your reply Miss Andrea

much hugs back

Michael :)x

• Maple Tree replied to Michael
    6 years ago

Awww I'm happy she joined!!!!!

• Britt
    6 years ago

I feel like I know you so well, having been a part of one another's lives for like, ever. Really though I believe it's been the entire 12 years I've been on the site.

I just have to say I adore you, so much. I appreciate your understanding heart, how you encourage and support my own spirituality even though it's so different from yours, and your absolute acceptance - I have gleaned so much from you, and I love you to pieces!!!

• Maple Tree replied to Britt
    6 years ago

I love you Britt / Pantso

As you know, my heart and soul embraces all spirituality. I know what it means to me, to be able to be the person I was meant to be and I encourage others to do the same. Your heart and your spirituality is inspiring to me!

• ddavidd

Dear Andrea I cannot have any valid question for you. I know you and Jim so silently.

• ddavidd

Did I say silently? I meant I know how beautiful you both are my sweetheart, and the sweetheart of this site!!

Forgive my absurdity I am inebriated!!

• Maple Tree replied to ddavidd
    6 years ago

Jim and I adore you Mr. Swan!!!

6 years ago

Gigggggles, hugs you!!

• ddavidd

You stablish your love
    from the earth of such unforgiving sludge .
    You stablish your poetical soul way beyond your beautiful poetry,
    in how much love
    you have spread around
    and how much you killed my loliness
    by standing like the solidest ever pillar
    beside you husband
    in the most excruciating time one could imagine,

and beside my heart,
    proving the human soul
    is never alone
    until
    poets like you exist.

As far as I concern
    you have written the most beautiful poetry
    of all,
    at least in this site.

As far as heart concerns
    you do not need to write no more,
    but please do
    I beg you
    as an act of mercy
    to these lost souls
    me included.

Dear Andrea, I wrote this last night while I was intoxicated. I hope its emotional tune wouldn't seem to you as embarrassing as it feels to me now.

6 years ago

You shouldn't feel embarrassed! It's beautiful and I thank you

• Brenda replied to Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Thank you for sharing this Andrea. I hope your thyroid condition is under control. I know how difficult it can be to write when in the throes of depression and I can appreciate your strength to work through it. Life has a crazy way of sending us through stuff. I love Maya Angelo! She's so inspiring!

• silvershoes

Well dang, you guys are supposed to be asking questions, but this thread is transitioning into an Andrea lovefest hahaha. I get it though. Andrea, you are easily the most beloved member of our site. I said "awww" a record amount of times while reading through the posts thus far. Okay, back to questions.

Question #2: When you're listening to songs by your favorite artists, are there any specific lyrics that make your hairs stand on end? Any specific lines that move you more than others? Lines that make you feel strongly or that you relate to in one way or another. Please share any of them.

Question #3: What are some of your quirks or little idiosyncrasies that might not come across online?

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Awwww Jane,

The members on this site make me smile daily, I am blessed!

There is a song by Fleetwood Mac , sung by Stevie Nick's, called landslide.

This song has gotten me through many dark moments... I started listening to this group when I was 11 years old....

Landslide
    Fleetwood Mac

I took my love, I took it down
    Climbed a mountain and I turned around
    And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
    'Til the landslide brought it down
    Oh, mirror in the sky
    What is love?

Can the child within my heart rise above?
    Can I sail through the changin' ocean tides?
    Can I handle the seasons of my life?
    Well, I've been afraid of changin'
    'Cause I've built my life around you

But time makes you bolder
    Even children get older
    And I'm getting older, too
    Well, I've been afraid of changin'
    'Cause I've built my life around you
    But time makes you bolder
    Even children get older
    And I'm getting older, too
    Oh, I'm getting older, too

I took my love, I took it down
    I climbed a mountain and I turned around
    And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
    Well the landslide will bring it down
    And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
    Well the landslide will bring it down
    Oh, the landslide will bring it down

The I'm afraid of changing stanza has always made me rise above, to admit I'm afraid, but to grab the strength and keep on moving..

Two quirks I have....

I can't sing or dance, I do both, horribly, daily...even at work! Lol

• Maple Tree replied to Brenda
    6 years ago

Brenda, my thyroid condition is always up and down. On a very high dosage, but I'm doing fine I think lol thank you and hugs you!

• Maple Tree
    6 years ago

Ps: Jane,
    You got me thinking about my quirks, another quirk I have is, I curse, like a sailor. ..not in front of my grandchildren. ..but I do..especially while driving. I drop the f bomb like there is no tomorrow. Lol there I confess giggles

• silvershoes

That is easily one of the greatest songs of all time, in my opinion. Doesn't matter how many times I hear it. It is emotional and moving. Probably a combination of Stevie's spellbinding voice and such meaningful, relatable lyrics. Hmm. Going to listen now.

I know you've said you curse like a sailor before, but I have such a hard time imagining it haha. Kind of hilarious to think of PnQ's sweetheart yelling the f word frustratedly. I curse a lot too, but never in front of children or the elderly of course :P

• Britt
    6 years ago

What's your favorite Disney movie? I imagine you a Disney fan, idk why? Have you seen Fern Gully? That's your alley, omg. I LOVE that movie.

Holy squirrel-ing up there, my bad.

What's your favorite gift to give?

Favorite recipe to make? Favorite recipe to eat?

Do you chew gum? Do you swallow the gum when your done or throw it away?

Have you ever done a Richard Simmons workout video/DVD?

Do you drink enough water daily?

What's your favorite color name? Not your favorite color, but do you like a specific name better than the others? lol

• silvershoes replied to Britt

Such interesting questions, Britt! If I sign up for PotF, will you host my fortnight?

Andrea, I love that you sing and dance even though you think you "can't" -- There is something really special about that. I love hearing people sing, even if their voices aren't great, it still makes me happy. And it's my belief that everyone can dance. Just move your body around, who cares what it looks like :D

• Britt replied to silvershoes
    6 years ago

Um, yes please!

• CJ Maleney

OK no questions yet but can I just say grandma language made me nearly wee myself laughing.

Thanks for the biggest giggle of England's Tuesday.

Craig

OK I'll try to be be serious now. Probably fail at that though.

Ooh Game of Thrones, welcome to our world

• CJ Maleney

OK I read through loads of people's comments. There were some amazing questions and answers amongst them.

One particularly caught my eye.

As it's me your probably gathered it's something about nature and our environment. Obviously you would have figured out that if a past or previous life exists I'd be a monkey. ! Maybe !,

i've loved and played in trees since a kid (still do given a chance).

A lot of my friends "and current ones at that" would call me a tree hugger! Fact is I'm not. I just get annoyed at the destruction of nature for no real reason. There are plenty of derelict estates that need flattened and rebuilt.,

On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you think this world's leaders (all of them) fail to see the importance of nature in favour of industrialisation and wealth. I'm about an 8.

Regards

Craig

• Maple Tree replied to Britt
    6 years ago

I love fern gully, a movie called strange magic...you should watch it!!!

I love to give baskets with little things that person enjoys... favorite candy, nail polish, small gift cards to a coffee shop...

I love making stuffed meatloaf, with fresh mozzarella cheese...it's yummy!
    I love chicken riggis...it's a special sauce...never had it until I moved to new York...it's wonderful!

I don't chew gum, I like hard candy....there is a ginger hard candy made in the lower Aderondacks that is wonderful!

I love Richard Simmons, I end up dancing lol

I drink lots of water!

Magenta.... reminds me of madussa lol

• Maple Tree replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

I make special Nick names for my little gems (grandbabies)

Pea pod, Rocco, Birdy junior, fluff, chicken noodle, punky seed and little Lord.. Whooooot!