Weekly Contest Results - August 7th, 2017

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Winners
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “validation seeking will do that to you by Britt (24 points: 10 points + 7 points + 7 points)
    “la nascita delle cose segrete” by Sai (10 points + 7 points)
    “Worth the Wait” by Kips (11 points: 7 points + 4 points)

HMs
    “Dying to live” by Scott Cole (10 points)
    “A Box of Silver Clouds” by Lvi (10 points)
    “Hangman” by Nobody (10 points)
    “Her Caustic Starlight” by Milo (7 points)
    “Love licks” by Scott Cole (4 points)
    “Broding” by Rahul Mahesh (4 points)
    “Seasons - Haiku vingnette” by Brenda (4 points)
    “The Sea Foams at Night (Collaboration)” by Aries Rising & BlueJay (4 points)

“validation seeking will do that to you” by Britt

Firstly, I love the title. Britt always has this way with her pieces that may be complex and full of fantastic metaphors of which are completely u¬¬nderstandable and resonate well with me and I always have to read them time and again to appreciate their true beauty. (7 points)

--------------------------

It is unfortunately true that some people will always give and others will continue to take and give nothing back. One party besotted and the other completely indifferent to the feelings of the other.

People will continue in this relationship in the hope that things will improve, yet they seldom do. To many people are all about self.

I felt that Britt captured the hurt and the inner turmoil that comes with such a relationship incredibly well and penned a fantastic piece of poetry.

Well done (10)

---------------------------
    I honestly thought for such a clever piece, the title didn't seem to fit. It seemed like more of a line for the poem that could be in parenthesis. It just didn't strike me as strong enough for the power that this poem has. I thought the title would be more alluring tying into “starving” and the alternate meanings that can have.

But otherwise, this is a poem with content and feeling that blows me away because you speak such truth about this character and someone I know I can be at times.

I was really touched by how you WENT for this poem, meaning I don't believe you held back and there was a bite to it. It may seem like we don't realize the effect we have on others when that focus is so misguided and only seems out validation and attention from anyone else (other than ourselves).

There were certain allusions and images that hit me hard. The “welcome sign between her legs”... I think that says a lot, without shaming or writing her off for this, it gives more humanity this way. I know from my past how easy it was to let others determine my worth, to let them come and go as they please without me having the confidence or voice to speak up for myself. It becomes easy to lose yourself and crave that approval, acceptance, something that will have the illusion of making your life full.

Several lines just made me lean back and take a breath:

“She'll make you die to her and die to yourself”

-Now THAT is intense. The obsession, the fixations, the delusions.

And

“Starving girls know how to eat.”

Woah, if you don't know how to pack the end of a poem with a punch.

This seriously sounded like a slam poem, and I could see the power it would have read aloud. The reality of those of us who can't come to the point of accepting ourselves, can't work with the present or work on ourselves without this wayward desire to be led. At least, that is what I took from this piece. Brilliant and such a fresh voice! (7)

“la nascita delle cose segrete” by Sai

I keep reading this and that clear shout of “I'M A SHADOW WITHOUT THE BODY” resonates with me. I feel a lingering presence, and there's just something so soulful about this piece. Of course, I had to look up what the title meant first, and when it linked me to Ludovico Einaudi, I was pleasantly surprised. I adore his compositions but haven't listened to him in awhile. I remember also writing to a few of his works playing in the background.

I love that his piece was your inspiration, and it gives more depth to each line. Music, especially piano solos, help set my mind at ease and they take me on a journey. I felt from Einaudi’s piece a tinge of loneliness at first, but then there seemed to be promise of a new path (where the title of the piece, “The Birth of Secret Things” really comes into play.)

What I felt through your words? Nostalgia and yet a voice, a soul, that's longing to still be heard. A voice that says “I'm here", even if there are no tangible aspects or evidence of your arrival (like fingerprints).

The symbol of the fog was huge for me. It haunted and kept appearing in your verses, and I felt that portrayal of a person's memory or spirit, trying to be kept alive even if just a shadow.

I like the thought behind the “If I were you”/ ”If you were me”... It only furthers this bond and that you still love and care for this, despite your departure.

Such a unique piece with a lot of personification I wasn't expecting. (10 points)

----------
    This was an intriguing piece, the imagery-laden verses blend in beautifully with a stirring sense of nostalgia. The ending of the poem is done quite well, the contrast of duality between the stark realization of being a ‘body without the shadow’ and knowing that there’s ‘no one left in this milky world to love you’ is remarkable. (7 points)

"Worth the wait" By Kips

This is a beautiful write and it took me back to that day so so many years ago.

To be reminded of that kiss in front of that alter left me with a lasting smile.

The poem itself flows really well and keeps the reader absorbed, it is like a well formed short story, with a beautiful beginning, middle and end.

Simply lovely (7)
    ----------------------------------

A simply beautiful write that captures the blissful moment of a wedding with vivid imagery and powerful emotions. Kip has really outdone himself with this piece! It’s magical (4 points)

“Dying to live” by Scott Cole

Scott always has flawless rhyming in his pieces which alone makes me goosebumpy because I love a bit of rhyming poetry especially as it's so well laid out like in this piece. The story in this is breathtakingly beautiful but so sad and resonates with me a little bit too much. (10 points)

“A Box of Silver Clouds” by Lvi
    This piece stood out for me this week because of its amazing imagery. I was absolutely blown away. The title in itself is fantastic! Imagery is really a great factor in poetry, and my, the imagery in this one is just commendable! Great job!

“Hangman” by Nobody
    The imagery in this piece is surreal, images like “you dressed me in silken chords” and “words that dripped with honey”. The poetess takes you through a conjured narrative that likens her experience of love with someone to an execution, something that I think everyone can relate to at some point in their life or another. (10 points)

“Her Caustic Starlight” by Milo
    This piece’ structure and flow are beautiful. Imagery is outstanding and I can picture the queen working with her machine very well. How she worked through was vividly put into words. The moon and the stars are beautiful, but in this piece the writer made them even more beautiful, more captivating. A beautiful story that left a striking impression in me. Great write! (7 pts.)

"Love licks" By Scott Cole

I imagine this was a harrowing story for the writer to hear, and I can only imagine the reaction upon hearing it. No-one should suffer abuse in any form, not ever.

What the writer portrays is the shocking truth of domestic violence. That it is conveyed in an amazing format and in poetry does not detract from the message it conveys. It is never acceptable.

Very powerful and thought provoking (4)

“Brooding” by Rahul Mahesh

How I love the calming atmosphere of this lovely piece! I love how it was written in a sweet tone. Sadness was wonderfully outlined but at the same time countered with so much positivity. I think we all can relate with this one because it’s sort of assuring one’s self that everything is going to be alright and undoubtedly we all have been through that. A really beautiful write. (4 pts.)

“Seasons - Haiku vingnette” by Brenda

Brenda always has this way when she writes something that seems to come from personal view, knowledge or both and they always bring me so much emotion so I'd like to thank her for that especially as this piece is no different. (4 points)

“The Sea Foams at Night (Collaboration)” by Aries Rising & BlueJay

You truly set the atmosphere here and I feel I am near the sea, feeling the breeze, the escape from all the trivial tasks asked of us by modern society. The imagery was calming and I liked how you connected a deeper meaning of the sea at the end of the poem. Almost like that foam symbolizes what could have been us, and we are inclined to imagine what leads us, where we will end up rushing to.

I honestly forgot that this was a collaboration, because the idea and meaning flowed so well. Good work! (4 points)

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

We had another week of so many beautiful pieces. Congrats to our front-page winners! Of course to our HMs as well. Really great job, guys.

Thank you to our judges and Mods, too! :-)

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Fantastic winners this week. I hoped Britt's would be on the front page - the most powerful I've seen from her in ages. Congrats to all the winners and the HMs. Thanks to Mark & to the judges.

Thanks also to Em, Mel & Andrea. I have never had three poems nominated in the same week before.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Thank you judges for your lovely comments on my write. Lady Mel, thank you so much for the nomination. I really appreciate it so very much!

• Britt
    6 years ago

Holy crap. Thank you, judges. Your three comments honestly just sent me over the moon. Also, I love that one judge loved my title, the other didn't like it for a title. I can so appreciate the diversity and I LOVE that!!

Judge 1 (in order of comments) - thank you so much for your sweet comment and vote. I love that you said it's complex yet understandable, because that's something I really strive for in my writing. I don't want to be so riddled that someone can't feel. I appreciate you so!

Judge 2 - Thank you so much! I wrote this from personal experience - I was that person, still am sometimes, but not to the extent written about, thank God! But you hit the nail on the head, that inner turmoil, on both parties, dear heavens it hurts. This was a really healing piece for me to write, thank you for loving it so :)

Judge 3 - Knock. It. Out. Of. The. Park. Beautiful comment and I LOVED every bit of it to pieces. I appreciate your honesty about your dislike for the title - I hate titles, and struggle with it the most. I want to change it, but feel it's too late now ;) Your comment was a breath of fresh air. I appreciate your time and effort so much, and thank you for highlighting the punches. Sometimes when I write I just go for it and surprise myself. I'm overly fond of this piece as it was definitely healing for me. Thank you for taking the time!

Judges and mods, I appreciate you all so. Thank you all, so much! Congratulations to the other winners & HM's, I'm honored to be up there with y'all!

Larry - thank you for that comment - I appreciate you!

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Well done to everyone highlighted this week. All the best.

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

What an awesome week! Britt, truly proud of you and what you shared is such a powerful piece... I'm so glad it was healing for you.

Congrats to all the winners and honorable mentions! And a big thank you to Mark and our judge.

Have a great week, everybody :)

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Hey up all and greetings from little ole me sat by the river Thames looking over towards Woolwich and Greenwich.

Congrats to all our winners and HM's. As always pretty, supercalifragalisticexpialdocious

(I swear to god I'll never try to spell that word again) gggrrrr.

Anyway well done all its been Brill reading your stuff.

Gotta send a big hugg to Milly and Brenda for nominating my twaddle.

Also a hand shake to which ever judge voted for Blue Jay and my colab. (OK you can have a hugg to even if you could be a bloke).

Love this site and the way your minds work.

Love and respect

Craig

• Sai
    6 years ago

Thank you for the lovely comments my poem garnered. Well done to everyone!

• Em
    6 years ago

Thanks Mark and judges. Larry you're welcome :)

Congratulations all winners and HMs, I do sure love the diversity especially as it brings so many pieces the appreciation they deserve.