Weekly Contest Results - August 14th, 2017

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago

The site broke a four-way tie between Ben Pickard's "A Poor Man's Soverign", "Open This When I Am Gone", Micheals' "Blowing Hot And Cold" and Karla's "Unsacred".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Winners
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “crumple this after you’re done reading” by hiraeth 17 (10 points + 7 points)
    “here’s to life” by hiraeth 14(7 points + 7 points)
    “A Poor Man’s Sovereign” by Ben Pickard (10 points)

HMs
    “Open This When I Am Gone” by Ben Pickard (10 points)
    “Blowing Hot and Cold” by Michael (10 points)
    “unsacred” by karla (10 points)
    “Poem for Rent” by Sai (7 points)
    “Little Green Basket” by mossgirl19 (7 points)
    “Vagina Wars” by Kireasha L (4 points + 4 points)
    “Desire to Escape” by mysticpieces (4 points)
    “an attempt at a sonnet” by hiraeth (4 points)
    “A Winter Night” by Mark (4 points)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “crumple this after you’re done reading” by hiraeth
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What a nostalgic poem that definitely took a turn. I thought for sure this was going to be a poem about love, lost love, and it still can be pulled that way overall. I loved the imagery and the idea of stitching together something that would create your own comfort. Sometimes we have to do that when we're abandoned and alone - create our own comfort, and to create something thick and strong and enough to yank on. I love that thought. The ending was heartbreaking and very relatable to me, years are generally unkind to hurting people, you can read the pain all of their face, in their age and wrinkles and time. Beautifully written, although incredibly painful memories. Absolutely love the title, too. It was a toss-away. These moments, memories, don't matter so much more than the healing that comes from writing. (10 points)

---------------------------------

This is so delicately written that it affected me so much. Maybe personally, because I know the feeling too well. But, that aside, this write effectively conveyed the feelings of the writer for the person being addressed. Love and hurt can be read all through-out, as the writer here wants to convey the effects of the other’s leaving…how it affected him…how he managed to get through the pain…but what’s touching is, there is no hint of condemnation at all. I felt acceptance and forgiveness, too. Coincidentally, from what I know the writer’s name means yearning for home. Great job! (7 points)

“here’s to life” by hiraeth
    Mark has this fantastic way of writing poetry and it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful it is to see a new piece from him, this is no different everything seemed to flow like a bird flying or an artist painting and it was just beautiful because all the thoughts he had throughout the piece brought wonderful imagery to my mind and the end seemed to make me think that though he'd spent time thinking of trying to his thoughts went back to the person he'd tried not to think about 'you' (7 points)
    ----------------------

I wish you could be in my head as I read this, almost as much as I could be in your head while you wrote this. What a poem jam packed full of rawness, vulnerability, and these images that have me feeling like I'm shoved in to the atmosphere. The second stanza is where it was for me personally, the piece I drew the most familiarity to, where I felt home at and understood because I've felt these very things. How beautiful to feel understood through someone else's work this way. Everything about the last stanza drew me in. I love the songbird and nuzzled and the clever use of y/our - it all just worked so well. Love this. (7 points)

“A Poor Man’s Soverign” by Ben Pickard

This simply stood out from among the rest simply because its form, content, imagery, word selection, significance and universality are all spot-on. Just EXQUISITE. (10 points)

“Open This When I Am Gone” by Ben Pickard

Ben's absence has been missed the last week and now he's back and definitely back with a bang. Each poem of his which was nominated was astounding but this one stood out to me more than the others as the sentiment was truly sad yet very beautiful because it shows his belief in the afterlife and his faith in looking after those he truly loves when his time comes. This is very thought provoking too as it makes you think about what happens or what may happen when you pass over and that's coming from an atheist. (10 points)

“Blowing Hot and Cold” by Micheal
    This is a fantastic work by Michael that is superbly penned. Very cleverly thought out and structured.

It has an excellent flow that conveys a very strong message that echos the fears of many.

Well done and a definite 10. (10 points)

“unsacred” by Karla

This is just a masterpiece, every stanza is powerful. Karla wrote “so forgive me if my gods are sick/but there are some days in which/we stay behind the lines/feeling more than we should” which is beautifully ‘circular’ as it addresses the beginning stanza where she says the gods cannot touch her poems, and I’m just floored about the raw strength and honesty that she places in those lines and in the stanzas between. This is just wonderful, thank you sharing this. (10 points).

“Vagina Wars” by Kireasha L
    I am in awe of this poem because I speaks volumes to women and how much we go through or should go through in the eyes of society and though we're all different (like men) we are all wonderful but society have this image that a woman should be size 0, nice hair, on point makeup etc and still be able to mother but some of us can't due to unforeseen circumstances (in my case abuse) and others don't have the mothering instinct. Good on you Kireasha! I applaud you. (4 points)

---------------------

This is an incredibly powerful poem that kept me engrossed from the beginning.

The way in which it is written certainly packs a punch and it certainly gets the authors point across.

With regard to the subject matter I simply wish to say "well said" to often to many people listen to the words of these people.

This was a pleasure and very refreshing to read (4 points).

“Little Green Basket” by mossgirl19
    TThe poem in its entirety was completely captivating. Well written with a flowing tempo that keeps the reader engaged and nodding along.

With regards to the content and subject matter! We are all individuals and we have our strengths and weaknesses.

To be independent is a good thing, to be disorganised, often will also lead to good things. You still look upon that little green basket with love.

I enjoyed this poem and it made me melt, it is truly worth its nomination and my vote.

Thank you for sharing.(7 points)

“Poem for Rent” by Sai
    I imagine this piece was quite cathartic for the poet to write; the idea of killing one self for rebirth is not new but even-so, you cannot help but be drawn to each word in this poem, wondering about who the old poet was, and why she was killed, wondering if the new poet would do it all over again. The poem poses more questions than answers, it’s quite the write. (7 points)

“Desire to Escape” by mysticpieces
    This poem had a healing effect on me as I read it. Being one with nature does heal us from the chaos of this life. We deal with sadness and depression all the time; it’s refreshing to read a vibrant piece that takes you somewhere to be care-free. I love the pace of this one and the rhyming is great too. Well done! (4 points)

“an attempt at a sonnet” by hiraeth
    I have tried sonnets before, and they suck and it's awful and I cannot do it. When it's pulled off well, I am over the moon, and feel like you nailed it here. I didn't read the title before reading the poem for some reason, and it took me a while to realize I was even reading a sonnet. It felt effortless and a natural read, which I feel is hard to do. Would your clouds know that April died in drought -- hands down my favorite line. I love the language that feels so very near and real and now. This is so well written, I am such a fan! (4 points)

“A Winter Night” by Mark
    This poem is dripping with imagery, it’s a breath of fresh arctic air in this sweltering heat. The poet really outdone themselves with this one. Well done. (4 points)

• Em
    6 years ago

Well done all. Absolutely fantastic poetry this week!

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Firstly a big congratulations to both Mark and Ben for your win/s and HMs. You guys are awesome. Queen Brenda, thank you for the nomination! I am just in awe of our pieces this week.

Thanks to our Mods and judges as well!

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Firstly, congratulations to Mark for his double win but, perhaps more importantly, for writing two such beautiful pieces of poetry - well done.
    Thank you to the judges for their time and comments and well done to all those who received an hm or were nominated.

Ben

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Wow! Another amazing week of poetry. Congratulations to all of you! So much beautiful writing, does my soul good. I don't envy you judges, you got to make some really tough choices.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all

Again some brilliant pieces this week, so congratulations to all winners including HMs awarded.

Thank you to all the judges with heads full of praise and comments, which includes my HM. For your time and effort with all poems :)

thank you to Milly for my nomination

Much love

Michael x:)

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and HM's as always there were some amazing poems.

Regards all

Craig

• Karla
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

thanks judge. i am honoured.congrats everyone.

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Congrats to Mark & Ben! Good work, judges, including the HMs.
    Thanks to the judges and to Mark for hosting.

• hiraeth
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Congrats to Ben for gracing the front page with me, and to all those who picked up a HM this week!

Thank you judges for your lovely comments, I truly appreciate them, and your tireless work over the last couple of weeks. <3

• BlueJay
    6 years ago

Absolutely stunning week! So glad I could read all these works!