Respect beliefs and happiness

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all just thought it would be an idea to start a thread on the discussion of belief.
    I myself do not believe in any God or am I religious in any way.
    I do respect others in their beliefs and I write to not offend.
    What I would like to say is that my poetry has no connection with God, however I may from time to time question faith, as I show how I feel in regard to others about the existence of such an entity, and why the world is as it is. So this thread I feel is for opinions and perspectives. Not to argue, but just how people feel. We can all live together in peace and happiness, but communication is the key. I would never preach my belief's. But I also expect the same in return.
    So let the thread...untwine :)
    Much love to all

Michael x :)

• Everlasting replied to Michael
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Thanks for the post.

• Em
    6 years ago

OK so I am an atheist BUT it seems quite recently my 'faith' has been tested where I have questioned the things that have been happening in my own life and for asking whoever is up there for guidance I know strange right?

I have also quite recently been to two spiritualists and both have told me things that wouldn't be possible so i seem to be going that kind of route in finding healing in my own life.

• Ben Pickard

Michael, I cannot believe anyone will have anything other than respect and understanding for you after reading your post. There is enough prejudice and unfair judgment in this world without it ruining our friendly community. Hear hear.

• Michael replied to Everlasting
    6 years ago

Thanks Everlasting :)

• Britt
    6 years ago

I recently went to a leadership summit that was hosted at my church, and the leading pastor/speaker started off with this: Those who do not believe in Jesus can learn something from those who do believe in Jesus. And Jesus followers, don't be naive, you have so much to learn from those who do not believe in Jesus. Let's give one another the respect owed and due to learn from one another.

This Summit had biblical principles and non-secular principles, Christians, Jews, Muslim, Atheists, Agnostics -- all on the stage, teaching and preaching and breathing life into leadership. It was beautiful.

One of my absolute favorite things is when Andrea asks me for prayer, and I ask her to light a candle for me. We have such precious respect and love for one another, and that's so important to me.

• Michael replied to Britt
    6 years ago

Hi Britt

That is a wonderful story, and that we all have a right in what we belive in. It's so nice to hear how Andrea and yourself respect one another, and that's just how it should be.

I absolutely respect people's faiths and beliefs, and feel that really we are all humans. I sometimes feel we lack in communication, and by being open and respectful without the need to preach right from wrong, we take on board more learning and understanding. That doesn't mean that we have to agree what's better. Just learning to love people for who they are, not about the differences between them.
    Unfortunately in our world there are others who want to destroy amongst ourselves and I'm afraid that comes from religion and politics. Which in the end is so sad, because we have a truly wonderful and amazing world. As in a recent poem I wrote, our battles are enough with Mother Nature.
    Thank you for your post
    Much love
    Michael :)

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

I'm with Darwin and science all the way ... it's irrefutable. I can respect other people's beliefs, some people need to believe that things happen for a reason, that's cool ... but when those beliefs are pushed upon me, that leads me to disrespect them.
    I'm pretty sure if there's something else out out there they'd make themselves known and wouldn't need people to preach to recruit in this way ... we'd all know!
    I feel that comments on non religious poems should also be non religious. That seems fair and respectful to everyone.
    =^.^=

• Michael replied to Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Hi Kiity K

Yes I agree with what you have written and certainly in regards to comments.
    If a member is unsure of another's faith or beliefs, then maybe PM and ask. It is what I say about communication, that doesn't hurt to ask.
    But it can hurt in assuming.
    Much love

• Em replied to Michael
    6 years ago

Well bloody said

• Britt
    6 years ago

That honestly makes me not want to comment on poetry then, if I have something that relates to my heart and my faith. I have gotten plenty of comments on religious poems where it's clear where I stand, trying to recruit me to their faith or their lack of faith in my spirituality. It doesn't offend me, it's their belief system. Could it be done with more grace, probably.

I've commented many times about how I felt God brought a piece of art to me that moved transformation in my heart, or that I'm praying for them. It's not done to be offensive, but it's a part of who I truly am. It's not shoving my thoughts on them, it's commenting how I was moved - honestly, transparently, with vulnerability.

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Britt - you are a shining example of someone who clearly has so much faith and yet is respectful of everyone else's beliefs. You're a credit to the site and yourself. Believers and non-believers can take a leaf out of your book.

• Britt replied to Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Thank you, Ben, I truly appreciate that and it truly humbles me. I just love Jesus. I know not everyone does and that's not my story to create for them and that's totally cool. Someone once told me we will never argue someone into a relationship with Jesus, and it changed my entire life. I don't ever want to be an a-hole (are we still censoring these words if it's directed at ourselves and not other people? lol)

Anyway, I also love people. All kinds of people - size, race, belief system. Personalities I struggle with, but I'm workin' on it, ha!

• Em

Britt I have been to agree with Ben in that your love for Jesus shines through but it does not make you an a hole in fact far from it because you are respectable of others views where some aren't and they would like to force their own to view onto others which really infuriates me because I would never (like you) try and inflict my belief or any of my views for that matter onto anyone here or otherwise. The story you first mentioned was beautiful

Much love all

"Anyway, I also love people. All kinds of people - size, race, belief system. Personalities I struggle with, but I'm workin' on it, ha!" - this made me laugh as I am completely petrified of people but when they have a personality like mine where they shy away I'm all over them like a rash haha just kidding but as Ben said we could all work on that.

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

'personalities I struggle with' - lol. Yes, we could all work a little harder on respecting all of those...

Anyway, I'm sure this is what Michael meant by this thread - getting our feelings out and respecting others' too.

take care all.

• Britt
    6 years ago

Bahahaha Em - like a rash! I snorted laughing. I seriously hate such a strong love/hate for people. I love the ones that are easy to love, and I shy away from those who are a bit harder for me to love. I don't want to be this way, though. Also, I fangirl the heck out of my friends, I'm obsessed with them (in a healthy, natural way lol). But this girl needs her alone time too - people in crowds freak me out. I actually have seriously severe social anxiety. I'm in a bible study/book club sort of group and I will say something - and then not sleep for a week because "did they take that how I meant it? Did I say that wrong? Did they know my heart?". I'm obsess over it, quit classes and groups and just isolate. I'm insanely insecure sometimes, and overconfident others. I literally have no idea why I'm even saying all of this, lol.

Ben - Yes! No one hits that perfect mark we all kind-of-want-to strive for. All the intricacies of people make it really difficult sometimes.

• Kitty Cat Lady replied to Britt
    6 years ago

Hi Britt :-)
    No one has an issue with respectful comments ... it doesn't sound like you're one to push your beliefs at all ... but some really do, quite forcefully, and that's not OK, whether they're religious or atheist views.

I think you're absolutely right in that some could just be a bit more graceful, and I think this thread is great in just discussing what some people might find offensive x
    =^.^=

• Brenda
    6 years ago

I love this thread! It really is all about respect, for other people, for their beliefs, and just them as another human being. This is a great big world out there folks and we aren't going to get along with everyone or what they believe, and that's ok. I guess it's more important how we deal with it matters most. Just to touch on something with Britt. I have never felt you have overstepped your thoughts or beliefs on anyone, you are always very thoughtful in your comments, very sweet really. Michael, this has been a wonderful thread, it shows how much we are,alike despite how different.

• Britt
    6 years ago

GUYS. Do you see how I overthink things?

Thank you for breathing life and value into me. I truly appreciate it. I never want to push or step on toes, but I'm adamant about being true to myself at the same time. My prayer is that my true self isn't the pushy, dominant type.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all

Well so far reading its been a joy with everyone's input, along with a thread of passion which is lovely. I feel that we all can communicate with delicacy and respect, as I feel here.
    When I mentioned before about my writing not connected with a God or religion, I certainly would never imply that people who do believe in God could not leave a comment, what I am saying is that my poetry shouldn't be interpreted into another's belief that it reflects on God, because my poems don't. In the same light I wouldn't put any comments of non-believing on a God or religious poem of someone else's, I hope this makes sense as this is not a divide, but I have received comments that imply my poem is a connection with God, that's unfair I feel.

I absolutely respect what Britt mentioned earlier about her art of writing comes from her faith.
    That is actually beautiful, and I respect that whole-heartedly. Where as I only believe in me, my faith and my love and that's where my poetry comes from- my heart as it would also, with Britt so we are connected but our faiths and beliefs are different and that should always be respected. By expressing our views and opinions here, it feels that we open up and also get to know each other on a deeper level.

This is all about us communicating on all levels, maybe the next thread will be about sexual preference or what we feel love is to us etc. We will all have similarities and differences, because at the end of the day we are all unique :)

Much love

• CJ Maleney

Not one to sit on the fence I figured I should add my bit. After the events of today I think it's only right that I should do so.

OK I'm a believer, although on reading my stuff many of you would doubt that. The question you should be asking is "what do I believe"

"Can't belive I'm f@##!+g doing this for a start"

Do I believe in God or a god? Yes

At this time I think he's got 3 eyes, 4 nipples and webbs between his toes and fingers.

If we are made in his image then he's deffo from bloody Norfolk!

Sorry! Been a s#it day and something was inappropriate was always gonna flow tonight.

To be serious.

Yes I believe! In what I'm not so sure!

I look at our world and the things in it and it's pretty bloody amazing. (Apart from us).

I have a very scientific mind and can bend equations and numbers like you wouldn't believe of a dumb shit from the north of England with a mediocre education and no nurturing from parents.

So yeah I like science, I get it and it all works.

!Well mostly!

The problem with science is a massive part of it is based on theory. Some of it has been proven to be correct and has been calculated. A lot of it has not. "A hell of a lot".

The big bang theory is just that (and a funny as f×€k TV show). It's a theory. I could say "I think I am god" I'm not but it's a theory.

Darwin and the evolution of Man. Cracking theory dude. "The origin of species" get bent Darwin you took a guess like so many before and after.

The world is still flat remember!

!Prove it!

Or disprove it!

Give me hope or dash them against the rocks. It matters not I'll be OK one way or the other.

So to conclude.

I believe in a higher level. What? that is is my conundrum.

I can't see our world and believe it all happened by pure fluke. It's just too !Wow!

Every tree, every new born. Rivers, lakes, mountains. Animals of every kind including us. The compassion of Man. The horror of Man..

Just pure fluke?

I don't go to church. (Exceptions weddings, births and deaths). I do not get on my knees each night and pray. I do not worship. !anything!

If the little niks and cuts I have sustained while helping others, or the major ones for that matter are not enough then I am not enough.

When my time comes to pass and when I fry and am scattered. I will be right or wrong.

If I'm wrong big deal I'll fade away to nothing, but at least in this life I've had something.

And if I'm right then holy crap.

Ooh hang on if there is an up there has to be a down. Whoops.

Ah well, one throws ones dice.

Wish me luck

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

I have spoken to many people through my life and I have come to realise that no matter what the background, religion or culture, there will always be people who try and force their ideas on others and be disrespectful of others beliefs but equally you will find kind, decent people who are comfortable enough in their own beliefs that they accept that others are entitled to their own opinions and that everyone's opinions should be respected.

What I like about this site is that it is like a big family. It doesn't matter what your background, religious beliefs, gender etc. We are all here because of our love for poetry. It is a place for free expression where you can share your thoughts openly and in a creative way. Where you can interact and share experiences and thoughts and have discussions with people from all over the world about any subject no matter how ridiculous because we are nearly all nice people and ive found theres a lot of love and support here for those who need it. Milly x

• CJ Maleney replied to Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

Well said you

Craig

• silvershoes

What a fantastic thread!!

I'm Agnostic. I don't usually believe in anything unless it can be backed up by scientific evidence. I say usually because every now and then I have an inkling of superstition, like carrying my grandmother's rosary on planes with me. I hold it during take off and landing, which is silly because I don't generally believe in luck. I also don't believe in horoscopes or ghosts. I do wish I could believe in an afterlife. I would like to see my loved ones again. The ones I've already lost.

I used to be condescending about religion. Super judgmental. I think I've moved beyond that thanks to a lot of patient, religious people who have shown me my ignorance. I know sometimes I make condescending comments still and I don't always catch myself. I apologize for that. I think you should be free to believe in and practice any faith if it's not hurting others. I also love learning about others' beliefs. Everyone's reality is their own. While God is not real for me, He is real for someone else. My reality is not more real or more important. Just different. I don't have all the answers, hence my Agnosticism. I no longer identify as Atheist. Anything's possible. If there is a God, I hope he is a forgiving God who won't send me to hell for not believing in him because I do try very hard to be a good person.

• Jamie
    6 years ago

Forced into Christianity, then atheist, then Christian again, Buddhist, now atheist again. Admittedly i hated Christians for a long time and honestly it took me a long time for me to overcome that. But over the last few years i have met people who are good people through religion, as in they don't try to preach their religion to others or harm others through their god.

I realized something though. For a long time i laughed or scoffed at people who say they prayed for me, but i was talking to a close friend who is Christian, and realized that when people pray for you they care for you.
    It's opened my eyes a little. But I've still got a long way to go.

• Poet on the Piano

Reading this whole thread warms my heart so much (thank you Michael for starting it). Love what you said, Britt, about not pushing or forcing that relationship with Christ.

Right now, I don't know what I call myself and that's okay. I think I still believe in God but I no longer want to be part of a denomination. If anyone asked me, I may lean towards "spiritual". I also believe people have their own version of God or gods and that's okay and unique and fascinating in its own way.

Many people I know shy away from those who may preach or talk about Jesus passionately because they fear outward or internalized judgment by that person. My own vice and personal battle right now is bitterness, because I've seen firsthand the types of people at my church who mean well, but I could never feel "safe" opening up to about deep issues that might contradict/assess the Church. However, what's given me hope, are the existence of people who will let you be frustrated and questioning. I'm blessed I can talk about this and I'm blessed I don't have fear anymore of being shunned or judged.

It's cool if a person is passionate about their religion and helps educate if there are common myths/misconceptions... and it's also cool if a person isn't religious and has their own guidelines/morals/ethics etc. Someone extremely close to me is an Atheist, someone who grew up in a conservative Catholic family and feared being kicked out if anyone knew. And just because he doesn't believe in God, doesn't make him any less of a "good" person. He's inspired me to own up to any hypocrisy especially in regards to religion.

What I've learned in my journey is that there are plenty of moral, compassionate people who serve others, who don't belong/believe in a particular higher power.

I think, first and foremost, have respect yes but simultaneously be aware if your religion is in some way discriminatory... be open to talking about sensitive points or times when the religious could grow in self awareness.

You all are such beautiful people :)

• Britt replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

I'm telling you, read Out of Sorts by Sarah Bessey! You will feel so understood!

• CJ Maleney replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

I studied religion for 5 years.

1 year on Christianity
    1 on Judaism
    1 on Hindu
    2 on Islam

I loved it. I didn't swallow any of what I read as fact but I loved the stories told in each. It's funny how many tell a very similar story but from a different perspective.

I have total respect for all regions (apart from the satanic and extreme nut jobs)

I was raised as Christian but I have so many doubts about the validity of the biblical stories.

So what am I now? I don't know and I don't care. I have a little faith in something greater but I can't really say what that is.

Yet it does not trouble me, I've grown comfortable with my non denomination.

Just happy being me

Craig

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all :)

I am so enjoying reading all of your personal views and opinions. It really is lovely for everyone to express in an environment without feeling judged.

The theme that runs through her for me is that we are all humans, and we are also proud of who we are, that I feel is the most important thing. It shows that people with differences in beliefs or otherwise, can come together without the need to say how it should be, just being open and honest we can learn so much from each other.

Sometimes people are afraid of what others think, by feeling judged, however by opening up we can explore all different avenues and understandings.
    And the results at showing here, just what doing this can do :))

And I would like to say thank you to all that have posted, and this is not the end, but the beginning, so keep posting anyone who feels happy too.

Much love and peace

Michel X :)

• Em

There are two beliefs I have that we could all use:
    1/ believe in/love ourselves because if we don't who else will?
    and
    2/ the only thing we need is kindness and a smile as those go a long way.

Em. X

• CJ Maleney replied to Em
    6 years ago

Em what a lovely ethos

Craig

• Darren
    6 years ago

This site has definitely taken a new direction

This thread is very nice.........

• Maple Tree

Britt highlighted on how she and I support each other, and it's a beautiful thing.

As most of you know by reading my Poetry... I have a daughter who is living a seriously, dangerous life at the moment. I have and will continue to put her on every faith belief chain possible....it's a serious touch and go with her at this point.

I am Wiccan and I do my rituals to reach her soul. I currently have her on 52 prayer chains that I know of....and many others just standing together with me in whatever faith we believe in.....

It's not a matter of what we believe, it's how we treat and support each other.

My child is dying a slow death, of meth\ crack, cocaine, alcohol addiction. Drug trafficking and prostitution, along with violent gang activity.....do any of you think I would turn away someone from support because they believe something other than I? No.

However....you chose to follow, think or feel...to live this life we have...do so

And know that I support you...

and please keep Robyn in your thoughts... Thank you
    and Blessed Be