Weekly Contest Winners - October 23, 2017!

• Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Happy Monday to you all! I wish everyone the best this week. Very emotive and moving pieces this week, especially by Stephen who take the front page with both "In the Head of a Victim" and "Nihilism's Toll". Congrats to him as well as Brenda, who brings love and hope with her endearing "My Forever". Congratulations to all the HM's as well! Thank you judges, and all the poets for sharing your work. Have a great day!

WINNERS:

“In the Head of a Victim” by: IdTakeABulletForYou 10 + 10 + 7 + 4 = 31 points
    “Nihilism’s Toll” by: IdTakeABulletForYou 7 + 4 = 11 points
    “My Forever” by: Brenda 7 + 4 = 11 points

COMMENTS:

“In the Head of a Victim” by: IdTakeABulletForYou

“ITABFY has a real consistency in his writing and even though this was long winded it doesn't steer from the thoughts at hand and also touched me as a reader which makes it in my opinion a fantastic piece. This made me emotional and think once again of all the lives lost all over the world in this tragic way. The piece itself was fluent and well rhymed throughout and showed the love people had for others that had sadly lost their lives in this cowardly way and it makes you realise how hard times are for those people and those who maybe didn't lose anyone but witnessed it firsthand.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - -

“No worthy words to describe this piece. This was so realistic, the scenes were popping out to me and I really felt like I was there. It is a very heart wrenching tale. To be gripped from start to end in such a lengthy piece I must say, very commendable story telling! Add to that the great rhyming. Hats off!” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

“A nicely rhymed piece where the writer walks in the footsteps of an imaginary victim at the recent shooting in Las Vegas. I don't normally like long poems but this one kept me intrigued. Starting with scenes of budding new love and journeying towards a sudden emotional and physical sense of loss. It kept me captivated through out and reminded me that death can come upon us fast and unexpected. That love needs to be grasped and appreciated because you never know just how much time you have together. A thought provoking, heart wrenching piece.” (7)

“This poem is penned from a victim’s point of view with all that love and anticipation of a relationship waiting to bloom. But, in one night all that is crushed. Words aren’t enough yet this poem had vivid images, feelings and the spot on rhymes made it real it was as if I was there witnessing it all. A heart breaking episode to live through and live with.” (4)

“Nihilism’s Toll” by: IdTakeABulletForYou

“It is actually my first time to hear of the word nihilism. When I read the poem I am captivated by the authenticity I felt...and I resonated with it. I think that is was a great subject matter and a lot of people can relate with it. Loved the tone and rhyming of this one too. Great job!” (7)

“I've got to admit this poem is one of those that is really hard to comment on. It's fantastic though. The concept that everything's meaningless is one I can never accept. What is the point? There is every point! Everyone you touch will be affected by your presence. Some will smile, some will not. Some will love you, some will hate you. None of it is meaningless, though I understand it can often feel so.

I give this poem my vote because it caused a reaction and caused me to think. I may not agree with the concept but that is the beauty of poetry. The actual structure of the work is well presented and the eye flows easily over it without pause or the need to read again in case you missed something. Yet you read again anyway.

Well thought out and presented.” (4)

“My Forever” by: Brenda

“As a judges comments go this is going to be rather short in comparison to that of others. It's simply beautiful. Sentiment is captured perfectly and your love shining through. Lovely flow that captures and engages. It's one of those poems you will read time and time again.

There is no need to say any more.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“Brenda I have noticed recently has been on a role and her pieces have spoken to me so much this week. This piece was like a magical rainbow because it shows that after sadness and heart ache there's a pot of gold and it seems Brenda has found her pot of gold which makes my heart melt especially the way she writes about her forever man. Just perfect and a very good structure in my opinion.” (4)

HM’S:

“Impressions Of This Land” by: Scott Cole = 10 points
    “A Lost Flower Bed” by: Mark = 10 points
    “A Prayer (for Em) by: Mark = 10 points
    “Theatre” by: Kitty Cat Lady = 7 points
    “Where We Wore Them” by: Mayday = 7 points
    “Elements of love” by: Michael = 4 points
    “Probable Cause” by: Milly = 4 points

COMMENTS:

"Impressions Of This Land" by: Scott Cole

“I found this poem by Scott to be a rather compelling piece with a simple message. If I read it correctly and I hope I do.

Nothing can be planned to perfection. You must experience life. It follows no plan or thought. Sometimes things will just happen. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.
    Whichever way it turns out we must deal with it. How we deal with it, is the important part! Regardless of what we will do, or do not do, we will leave a footprint. Something that someone will always remember and something that will affect.

Yes we may stumble along the way, But still what do you miss if you don't even try? Structurally I found the flow to be almost perfect and the way it carried through from start to finish encapsulating." (10)

Thank you” (10)
    “A Lost Flower Bed” by: Mark

“This piece is overflowing with floral metaphors and explodes with vibrant imagery. I love that Mark has used a strong theme of floral descriptions in such an imaginative way so as to depict fire which is the opposite of nature and growth. Each time I read it I find something new and a different way of seeing it. A really great write which I could see vividly unfolding in my mind.” (10)

“A Prayer (for Em) by: Mark

“This is one of the best heartfelt and warm prayers written for another fellow poet. I like the layout and the way one sentence linked to the next making the read flow smoothly. Though its long I felt this prayer has gone in depth am sure Em would have loved it and would have been touched by it. Hope that this prayer is heard by our good Lord…take care.” (10 points)

“Theatre” by: Kitty Cat Lady

“A heartbreaking write and a parent’s worst dread and nightmare coming alive. To hear such news it will break any parent into pieces but to keep a brave face, hope and fighting with the help of love is what a mother will do and keep doing. A touching write.” (7)

“Where We Wore Them” by: Mayday

“This is an absolute gem by mayday and though short it's extremely powerful and resonates so much with myself because I've been there with no hope left when I've been left with broken promises, lack of trust and only myself for company still bearing the weight of the world and the 'stains' the past has left upon me but there's only one way to go about forgetting it and that's making good memories with those that matter and becoming better not bitter. An extremely punch packing piece.” (7)

“Elements of love” by: Michael

“Non-rhyming poems need to be carefully and thoughtfully written so as to make the transition from "just text" to being a poem. Michael has completely nailed it by producing an exceptional none rhyming, well written piece. Full of wonderful gentle imagery that would touch anyone with romance in their soul. "Tiny segments of hope and promises drizzle a sublime marinade upon my heart" Is a tasty starter for the wonderful metaphors that weave a magic spell of love throughout and heralds a piece that doesn't fail to impress.” (4)

“Probable Cause” by: Milly

“I love the uniqueness of this piece! The turn-around towards the punch at the end was unexpected, which for me was really effective. Milly has woven the piece in wonderful rhyme. It has a great flow which made it a really enjoyable read. I must say this one was very witty, well done!” (4)

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Congratulations Stephen and Queen Brenda! Congratulations to our HMs also. Wow, amazing week.

Thank you to Mary Anne for hosting. Our judges and mods, thank you as always for your time. :-)

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Well done guys and girls some fab stuff out there as always

Craig

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

As selfish as you seem to be, Stephen, I have to say, your two wins are merited, lol. Well done, good man. Brenda - richly deserved.

All the best and well done all.

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to Stephen on his 2 front page writes and all these wonderful HM's! Thank you judges for my win and such lovely comments. Thank you Michael for my nomination. I really appreciate you! Maryann thank for hosting and all the judges for your tireless work you do and the hard choices you have to make.

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Congratulations to front page winners and HMs.
    Huge thanks to judges and mods for their valuable time and suggestions.
    Big thanks to our senior members for all their support and always inspiring us.

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi all..

Congratulations to the front pagers this week, and to all HMs given, which includes mine.

Thank you judges for your time and sifting through such brain racking pieces and comments

Much love Michael x

• IdTakeABulletForYou
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone for making this place home, and congrats Brenda on your winning poem (which I have admittedly not yet read, but it will be one of the first things I do when I get to work tomorrow), and to all the honorable mentions. I am humbled to have won, and twice in one week! Crazy! Thanks to those who nominated me and N for her guidance throughout "In the Head of a Victim".

Most of all, thank you judges; I definitely think judges deserve a PnQ Award for their hard work -- at the least! Anyway, I'm about to head to sleep, thanks for making my day before it even began :)

IdTakeABulletForYou

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Congratulations to Brenda and Stephen for their wins and for all the HMs (and thanks so much for mine and to Michael for nominating it) also to all the nominated poets

Thanks as always to the hosts and judges for all that you do for this site :-)

Kitty =^.^=

• Mark
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all winners and HMs! Thankyou all judges and mods. Thanks to Scott, Nams and Em for nominating my poems!

• BlueJay
    6 years ago

Another wonderful week, thank you everyone for sharing your incredible works here! Congratulations to everyone (for writing and being mentioned this week!)

• Em
    6 years ago

Another fantabulous week of poetry.

Well done to Stephen and Brenda on front page and to all HMs.

Thanks ma for hosting and thanks to all judges too, you have your work cut out with the astounding work being turned out week after week.